Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

My exercise dilemma

I am a 59 yr. old woman. I've been a member of MFP for about 3 months, and I've lost just over 12 lbs. My goals are very modest as I want to give myself time to become ingrained in lifestyle changes.. I lead a very sedentary life, as I am a quilting instructor.. and a knitter, so I tend to spend hours working on project that don't allow for a lot of movement..

Frankly, I don't like to exercise.. as in 'workouts'.. Any gym available to me means a 60 mile round trip, which is not really viable.. I did find that 'cleaning' was listed in the MFP exercise database, and as my house could use a thorough deep cleaning, I've been counting those minutes as exercise.. And, frankly, at this point, I'm not sure that my joints could take anything terribly strenuous..

My other problem is that I don't like to take time away from other pursuits to exercise.. Cleaning allows me to kill two birds with one stone.. I also spin, as in making yarn with a spinning wheel (as opposed to riding a stationary bike).. After some investigation, I found that spinning consumes between 150 and 200 calories an hour.. So, I added that to my personal exercises.. And, again, I'm killing two birds with one stone.. I have some instant gratification at the end of the exercise... The other benefit, as far as I'm concerned, is that neither spinning or cleaning feel like exercise..

So, I guess, with this long winded post, I'm looking for other suggestions to add more movement to my life.. until I do get to the point in my weight loss where I feel like I could add 'real' exercise to start building more muscle..

Thoughts?

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    If you're 30 miles from a gym, does that mean you live in a rural area? If so, how about nice long rambles on country roads, across fields, up and down hills, or along a river or shore (depending on terrain)? I know you don't like to take time away from other pursuits, but I find my mind wanders creatively on a long walk--you could end up designing quilts in your head, or thinking your next project through before you start it.

Biking is also nice, and easy on the joints. If you take up either biking or walking, do as much as you comfortably can to start, and work up to more. Best of luck whatever you decide!
  • annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    Yes.. I live in the Missouri Ozarks.. lots of 'up and down' terrain.. When it gets warmer, and dryer, I do plan on at least going to the mailbox and back (just under 1/2 mile).
  • tuck11er
    tuck11er Posts: 10
    I'm 59 as well and don't exactly love exercising but I want to be around for my husband, kids, & grandkids for a whole lot longer so I motivate myself with that. I have a sedentary job (Office-sitting at a desk for hours) but I get up in between and do some pushups, situps, use hand weights for my arms, some squats for my legs etc. It doesn't have to be a lot at first but it DOES get easier as you go if you don't let yourself get discouraged at first. Keep trying different things. You can do this.
    :smile:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    u can do home exercise. It would also help if u had stairs. My house has stairs and I climb them for about twenty minutes and burn over 200 calories..... I also walk/run in place while watching TV and list your sit ups, leg lifts and it also might be helpful when u go to town to purchase some hand weights or something. Good luck to you by the way!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I am 61. Office job. Live in the country too. Started 3/12/12. I did not like to exercise either. In hindsight it was because of pain in my knees. At around -90 pounds, a very nice person on MFP, and my daughter convinced me to begin walking. That was back in October, and I started moving. My daughter convinced me to sign up for the nearby town's annual "Turkey Trot". I began walking 5 weeks before Thanksgiving. I finished the 5K walk on Thanksgiving, and was not last.
    Up until the first of February, I walked for 1 hour on Sat & Sun on our property. It has been too icy and snowy since then, but I am still walking on the road instead of up and down the hills on our property. During the week, I use the gym at work. From October through February 22, I did 1/2 hour on the elliptical, M-F. February 25, I added 20-25 minutes on the treadmill to the 30 on the elliptical. My knees are about 99% improved.
    I won't say that I like exercise now, but I do like feeling better than I have for 30 years. I got a fitbit at the beginning of February, and I have to admit, I do like that it challenges me to do more.
    Do not let anyone tell you that you can not do something because of your age, sex or for whatever reason!