Merp. My adventure at Vicky Secrets /: Depressed

Options

Replies

• kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options

FYI- You can go to a smaller cup size if you increase the band size. So it would make sense that you're a 36C and a 42B...
    See, I didn't know that. I thought the number didn't change.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt trust victoria's secret measurements

1) they arent properly trained
    2) they tend to do the old school add 5 or 6 to to the band size which is based on how bras were made in the 50's and not how current bras are made
    3) they tend to fit people in a size they sell.

plus if you look at their websites, many of the chicks wearing the bras arent even wearing the correct bra size. you see tons of side boob spilling, bands pulled up on the back, and bras not lying flat against the the ribcage in between the breasts.

i dont see how VS is even taking seriously as a bra company.

i would suggest you go to a real lingerie boutique and get yourself measured and fitted. a good place will not only be able to tell you this but also suggest a variety of manufacturers and styles that are good for your particular body

ETA The last time i went to VS for sh*ts and giggles they measured me as a 40D. never minf the fact that the band had to be hooked on the tightest hook, i had 4 boobs and the band was riding way up my back :laugh: i'm a 34 H by the way.

Cosigned.
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    FYI- You can go to a smaller cup size if you increase the band size. So it would make sense that you're a 36C and a 42B...
    Not entirely - I'm English so I went to Mark's and Spencers when I was younger. I was always told that each back size down was a cup size up, which is true when you think of measuring guides. Up three back sizes and down one cup size doesn't exactly translate.
    Just a little bra info there lol. :)
  • Shana82
    Shana82 Posts: 19
    Options

While that is true, its not an exact go up a band down a cup science, at least that hasn't been my experience. A 34D and a 36C fit me completely differently.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

2) they tend to do the old school add 5 or 6 to to the band size which is based on how bras were made in the 50's and not how current bras are made

plus if you look at their websites, many of the chicks wearing the bras arent even wearing the correct bra size. you see tons of side boob spilling, bands pulled up on the back, and bras not lying flat against the the ribcage in between the breasts.

i would suggest you go to a real lingerie boutique and get yourself measured and fitted. a good place will not only be able to tell you this but also suggest a variety of manufacturers and styles that are good for your particular body

ETA The last time i went to VS for sh*ts and giggles they measured me as a 40D. never minf the fact that the band had to be hooked on the tightest hook, i had 4 boobs and the band was riding way up my back :laugh: i'm a 34 H by the way.

I came in to say this, but then you did it and better!
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options

While that is true, its not an exact go up a band down a cup science, at least that hasn't been my experience. A 34D and a 36C fit me completely differently.

Excruciatingly true.
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I won't speak about VS.. since I can't shop there. I don't know what size cup they go up to, because I've never been able to shop there. I go to Intimacy here in Atlanta. They are fabulous and trained well. Every time I've gone into Intimacy, the woman helps me by just looking at me, smiling.. and listening!
    I was just re-sized after being a 40 I for the last few years. A couple weekends ago, I went to buy a new bra for a friend's wedding and the lady asked me what size I *was* since I clearly was wearing a bra too large now. I grinned, telling her that I've lost a good bit of weight recently and the tape measure at home says 36" across the top of my ribcage, underneath my breasts. She nodded, agreeing and came back with a 36 I bra. As soon as she saw me with my shirt off, she said the bra she picked out wouldn't fit. She was right. Not because she sized me wrong, but because a 36 I bra is a little too loose. She had to have the bra altered down to a 34 for me, since there's no 34 I's available.
    I couldn't wait for the alteration (the wedding was in 5 days) so I wore the bra to the wedding as a 36... I was happy, but I could feel the back sliding up just a little by the end of the night. I will be so glad to get my newly altered bra back this week though!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I wear a 34C in most bras, but VS 34D is too small in the cup, so while I like the way they look in the abstract, I no longer shop at VS.

I used to fit bras in a previous job, so I measure myself.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I mean, I just want sports bras (which I wouldn't buy from VS anyway), but sometimes I wanna surprise my beau with something pretty :P

Of the 4 sports bras I own, my 2 from VS (1 from the outlet, the other from semi annual clearance last month) are by FAR, hands down my favorite sports bras. But then again, I have recently stepped back into prepuberty and am now a 36A. *sigh*. So really, I'm just wearing an extra sweat-catcher.

GL!
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have had the same experience there as many of the others here. I measure myself now and have never had a problem. I usually just measure around my body under my boobs where the band would lay and use that as the band measurement and then measure again around the fullest part of my bust area for every inch over the band measurement is the cup size. So for example I'll use mine, I measure 36 for my band and when I measure around my fullest part I'm between 42-43 making my bra size a 36DDD/F. Which I have to usually go online to buy, I like Fredrick's they have really cute/sexy bras. I haven't tried a sports bra however. Good Luck and don't take what VS says to seriously, they are usually wrong!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know, the same thing happened to me. Victoria's Secrets bras are different sizes than other stores. When I was a 40c they measured me as a 40B. I recommend Lane Bryant for a Sports Bra.

Also this is the best calculator on the net! Its easy and accurate:

http://www.atlastravel.nazwa.pl/mini/
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My experiences with having store employees do a bra fitting usually ends up with them telling me to get a size that clearly doesn't fit me.

I don't know what size you currently are, but if you are in plus sizes Lane Bryant's Cacique bras are the best in my opinion. They're made to fit a curvy figure properly, not to just be a larger version of a cruddy bra that doesn't support you. Even if you're a B cup... or a C Cup... it doesn't matter what size, they just make every girl's figure look way better. Way better quality than VS bras, in my opinion. And I don't work for Lane Bryant lol... I just think underwear are really important. Nothing looks good on you unless you have good underwear. Okay I'm going to shut up now :))
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I found Nordstrom to be very helpful with bra buying. After I was done nursing I went there and got some awesome and comfy Donna Karan bras that I.wore.out. Pretty too. So, in summation, VS is def not the end all, be all
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    The last time I visited a Victoria's Secret, admittedly a very long time ago, I was shocked by how poorly made the bras and underpants were.

Another fitting boutique chain to try is Intimacy.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    My experiences with having store employees do a bra fitting usually ends up with them telling me to get a size that clearly doesn't fit me.

I don't know what size you currently are, but if you are in plus sizes Lane Bryant's Cacique bras are the best in my opinion. They're made to fit a curvy figure properly, not to just be a larger version of a cruddy bra that doesn't support you. Even if you're a B cup... or a C Cup... it doesn't matter what size, they just make every girl's figure look way better. Way better quality than VS bras, in my opinion. And I don't work for Lane Bryant lol... I just think underwear are really important. Nothing looks good on you unless you have good underwear. Okay I'm going to shut up now :))

No that is true! And if you can't find what you need in the store you can have it shipped to the store for free.
  • Kaypix
    Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm on board with as your cup size decreases, the band size increases, I believe the term is "sister size". I'm a 34D, or a 36C , although most of the time the C fits me better.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

This. I recently got 4 bras at VC and I LOVE them. But nobody "fit" me. I knew what size I had been before so I asked the girl to get me a few different sizes. When I found one that was comfortable, that I could hook on the middle hooks, was high on the sides to keep side spillage in check and could support me without an underwire, I got four of the same size in different colors and styles. They are the most comfortable bras I have owned in years. I am not saying everyone that goes into VC will be happy but I sure was.

I used to be a 40D... I am now a 38D.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options

it's plus 4, 5 if you are an uneven measurement, but otherwise you are basically right.
    but no one in NA really knows how to fit bras properly and most women don't want to learn when it means that they have to accept they've been wearing the wrong size forever.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't know if Durham has any lingerie boutiques..

Try the lingerie dept @ Nordstrom's in Southpoint Mall. Or if you can get out to Triangle Towne Center in Raleigh, try Saks Fifth Avenue.