Running too slow?

Options
Training for a half marathon on May 4. Today went for a 6 mile run (long run of the week). Around mile 2 I was hurting! Calves were crampy and achey. I stretched prior to the run. Going out i was trying to keep heart rate below 90%. After turning around I gave up on that and just ran and legs felt better. Heart rate was up to 97%. Is it really possible to run too slow and hurt yourself?

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you could have a virus?
  • stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I find that if I run with a friend who is considerably slower then I am then my legs hurt. I've had runner friends say the same. I don't run based on my heart rate though so not sure about that.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    wrong shoes? tight muscles or thigh Achilles can pull like that too.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've heard this before. Maybe your natural cadence is higher than what you were trying for.

But I am also worried about what you said re: your heart rate being at 90%. Is it usually that high when you run? Were you doing more than you are used to, or using different shoes or running on a new kind of surface?
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just ran my first half today. Have had days in training where it felt like running in treacle, others where it was great. Are you on a sensible training programme, building up distance and total distance per week at an appropriately graded rate? Are you getting enough water every day (not just when you run)? Are you possibly collecting niggles from upping mileage? Have you tried getting a decent sports tissue massage (pref with myofascial release)? Are you using a foam roller after you run? Have you tried using a foam roller before you run too? All of these things and more reflect stuff I've had to try to figure out / look at ... and I still have sore shins and calves for about the first 3-5 miles before they ease up a bit, but then around mile 7-8 get sore knees!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Training for a half marathon, you should be training at a speed that has your heart rate in an aerobic zone. For most that's about 75% of max. When you're running at 97% that's about your 5k race pace or your MHR calculation is off.

When you run slower you're teaching your body to handle the pounding that the longer distance runs are going to give it. Now I don't know if 6 miles is your long run just yet, but if it is, it should be slower than every other training run each week.

But yes, things "hurt" differently when you run slowly. Your stride will be shorter and so your strike different, your muscles will be impacted differently, but truly it shouldn't hurt.

I think your HR calculation is probably off. It's unlikely you can run at 97% for an hour... I think 88-92% is where you'd want to be for a 10k race.

My calculated HR Max is roughly 183 based on age/gender... but my highest observed HR at the end of a 10k race is 193... so the calculations can be way off.
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just ran my first half today. Have had days in training where it felt like running in treacle, others where it was great. Are you on a sensible training programme, building up distance and total distance per week at an appropriately graded rate? Are you getting enough water every day (not just when you run)? Are you possibly collecting niggles from upping mileage? Have you tried getting a decent sports tissue massage (pref with myofascial release)? Are you using a foam roller after you run? Have you tried using a foam roller before you run too? All of these things and more reflect stuff I've had to try to figure out / look at ... and I still have sore shins and calves for about the first 3-5 miles before they ease up a bit, but then around mile 7-8 get sore knees!

Interesting read for a new runner like me. Makes me feel not so worried about the little aches I have had. thanks zen :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Yes, I'll second that! Myofascial release with a foam roller is awesome. I highly recommend it.

Also, if you are struggling with lower leg pain of any kind, work on your technique (after you've checked your shoe fit). I noticed a lot of improvement after I started working on my stride rate. It can help with your heart rate worry, too, because it is more energy efficient.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/increase-your-stride-rate
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Training for a half marathon on May 4. Today went for a 6 mile run (long run of the week). Around mile 2 I was hurting! Calves were crampy and achey. I stretched prior to the run. Going out i was trying to keep heart rate below 90%. After turning around I gave up on that and just ran and legs felt better. Heart rate was up to 97%. Is it really possible to run too slow and hurt yourself?

Maybe your gait is forced or awkward at the slower pace?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    try warming up with better dynamic stretching. jhumping jacks, body weight squats, lunges, etc
  • marnybonte
    Options
    Also make sure you are maintaining your form in the later miles--check that you are not hunched over or you're tightening your shoulders. I make up little candence verses to remind myself to relax my shoulders, breath from the diaphram etc. It sounds stupid but I find it helps in the dim-witted last miles of a run when things tend to fall apart.
  • BellaMJ
    BellaMJ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When your stride is too long (like at the transition from walking fast to running), or you advance your speed or distance too fast or you add hills without additional training, you can get pain in your knees, IT band, and/or shins very quickly. Your front foot should land on the ground directly below your hip and you should touch with the ball of your foot first. Make sure you have properly fitting running shoes too. If you are overweight, the cushion in the shoe wears out faster than what manufacturers quote, often resulting in too much motion in the foot when it lands, so a new pair of good fitting shoes can fix this problem. If you are still having pain, you might look into investing in some compression pants, which will keep your muscles warm and can help keep your knees in alignment (like the CW-X ones). Also, KT tape for the knees, shins, and IT band does wonders. I have had personal experience with all of these issues and was able to correct my run, successfully completing a half marathon last month with no pain at all. (BTW: Jeff Galloway has a wonderful half marathon training plan)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    If I stretch before running then I can't run as far. <-- Truth!

Try not stretching before, and run. See if it makes a difference. Definitely stretch afterwards.

Also, make sure you eat well.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ok let's see if I can reply to all in one...Thanks all for the replies. Keep them coming. I worry how I am supposed to do 7 next week. Oh and my husband thinks my problem is the cold and me being cold hearted. 32 with steady wind this mornings run.

Sqeeky..no not feeling ill at all.

Stmcfred..I was running with husband and dog who were outpacing me. I typically don't run according to HRM but was trying to listen to all the times i am told I'm running too fast, lower my heart rate.

Discover..Not the shoes. New shoes bought in January and they analyzed my running form.

Bumble..My HR sitting around doing nothing is 48%. By the time i walk to the end of the block I am usually at 71% Running jumps it to about 84 anywhere to 104. Nope same shoes since January and same path we take most nights. I am reading the link you sent in a post further down.

Zen..I have been running for over a year, started slow C25k. Sidelined by odd knee pain and an illness for a few months. Started back running as a newby around July. I drink about a gallon of water every day but don't carry any while running. I am not familiar with the term "niggles" so I can't say yay or nay to that. I currently do not have a foam roller so that answers that huh?

MrsbigMack..my husband agrees that maybe my HRM is wrong. We have tried messing with it and always the same outcome. 6 miles is my long run this week and it was indeed slower than my 3 mile pace. by like a minute slower at the end but around mile 2 I was off by over a minute.

Captain..I will try the squats and lunges and etc. prior to my next run (short 3 miles)

Marny..I know my posture is off by how my neck feels during a run so I am constantly correcting it.

Cora..I tried that and let me say things did not work out to well for me on all 4 of those runs.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Here's an awesome tool to play with...
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    lol Husband I were playing with that last night.

I also forgot to state i have ran 2 5ks. Finished first one in 29:21 and the second 28:33. After both I was able to walk and not puke.
  • tobd55
    tobd55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was just a bad day.That happens.
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Discover..Not the shoes. New shoes bought in January and they analyzed my running form.

[...]

Zen..I have been running for over a year, started slow C25k. Sidelined by odd knee pain and an illness for a few months. Started back running as a newby around July. I drink about a gallon of water every day but don't carry any while running. I am not familiar with the term "niggles" so I can't say yay or nay to that. I currently do not have a foam roller so that answers that huh?

[...]

My experience of shops (with running gait analysis etc) has still been variable. Some places are better than others and I still find buying shoes a real stress! Sometimes they will "diagnose" pronation when you *may* have another issue. I am waiting to see a podiatrist because 2 physios - 1 is a friend, I don't have pots of cash! - have told me it isn't my "pronation" from funny arches, it's to do with the stability of my ridiculously hypermobile ankles (who knew!) and hips. I got a lecture from one physio about how shoe sellers want to sell shoes etc etc and that often they don't focus on your form above the ankles/knees, depending how they film you. As far as I can tell the jury is out with a lot of the "shoe debates" too. If yours really are totally right for you my advice would be buy as many pairs as you can before the b*@#~s "update" the model and change something slightly which throws them off for you!

Re "niggles"... um... if something niggles at you it bothers you, but I guess in running niggle is the British term for "not exactly an injury but feels annoying and like it could possibly turn into or affect one". So my shin issues are a niggle because I don't always get them, but when I have done loads of running and been lazy about the foam roller or not drunk enough water (my major issue is I forget ALL the time and appear to have a rubbish thirst sensor!), or if I have been ill or more stressed - they tend to come back and I can feel the little gross gristly feeling lumpy bits along the muscle/bone interface (where the mysofascial release is good!). I've had some really good sports massages after which it has truly felt like I was given new legs, so I try to foam roller more to lengthen time needed between the massages. My foam roller was £15 and so worth the relatively small outlay!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    What was your HR at the end of your 5K? Or your max HR during the 5K. You should consider that your Max HR - take your resting HR (before you get out of bed in the morning), and then calculate your zones from there. (Lots of calculators on the web)