Just needing to vent...

Options
How many times have you sat on your couch at the end of the day on a Sunday and thought to yourself, "Damn...another week down the drain" as you sit there eating something salty or sweet, hating yourself for your lack of willpower?

I have been telling myself for so long that I'm gonna lose weight, tone up, change my eating, drink more water, get more sleep, party less, etc, etc, etc...I'm so over the bullsh*t with myself.

I cannot live like this anymore. I can't spend every day thinking about how much I'd LOVE to be thinner and stronger. I need to make my dream a reality because it is completely possible!

Can anyone relate? I feel so alone and ugly and depressed and pitiful and ashamed...I take full responsibility for my actions, but I have some really bad habits that I need to break because my life depends on it.

:frown:

Replies

• missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i can relate. for me, starting with activity is the key- you'll feel a boost just from getting active and it makes it easier to make good choices. It is hard to keep willpower going- I"m sorry you feel down :(
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    ...I take full responsibility for my actions, but I have some really bad habits that I need to break because my life depends on it.

:frown:

For this I applaud you, You have the answer now.

"“The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change.” Carl Rogers"
    Here is good info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • aminer31
    aminer31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Those feelings are what convinced me to get my crap together! I buckled down! I haven't felt this good in years, I now get up every morning and go work out which helps motivate me to eat better! I am 27 pounds down and have 80 to go.
    You can do it, you just have to decide to start!
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate---in fact I felt that way most of my life. The problem is that, with that kind of mindset/attitude, "I'm going to start tomorrow," usually means, "I'm going to try and reach my unreasonable goals/expectations of myself tomorrow, torture myself for a few days and then give up and hate myself all over again."

So, my advice is: TOMORROW, pick one food/meal that you would feel "great" about having eaten instead of your usual fare. Do it, and skip the one you would feel bad about. Try to do this 4 times this week. Same with exercise: pick one day that you can fit a workout in, (there are tons of websites like nerdfitness that the members here love--just do a search on "at home workouts,"). Try to get another workout in at another time this week. Sure, 4 "healthy meals" (or skipping of "unhealthy meals,) and 2 workouts may not seem like much, but if you can achieve this mid-range goal, next Sunday, you will feel a lot better about yourself. If you can keep it up for a month, you'll feel tons better and then you can add more.

A famous phrase/mantra on here: "You didn't get this way, (physically or emotionally,) overnight and you can't undo it overnight either." It will take a lot of steps forward and almost as many back. Just keep one step ahead, set realistic goals and be patient/kind with yourself---THAT will lead to a lifetime change instead of just another cog in a self-destructive cycle.

Good luck!
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's like they say, You have to stop wishing for it and work for it. You have a great attitude now. But you have to stay committed. You said you take complete responsibility for your actions, remember that is an everyday thing. If you choose to sit on the couch and beat yourself up about what you're doing, or you choose to get up off that couch and actually do something, it's your choice! No one else can make you do it. Everyone here on MFP can give you tons of support, but you have to be the one to get going and stay committed.
  • krsomma
    krsomma Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Vent away, i can relate,don't beat yourself up.Lets make tomorrow a new beginning....you can do this:)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    How many times have you sat on your couch at the end of the day on a Sunday and thought to yourself, "Damn...another week down the drain" as you sit there eating something salty or sweet, hating yourself for your lack of willpower?

How much would you need to overeat at the end of the day on a Sunday for the *entire week* to be down the drain?
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    We all started from somewhere!! Before i tried to get healthier, i smoked cigs, drank beer, smoked weed and munched out, like a lot alotttttt.... I used to eat until it hurt.. and then id try to eat some more. I used to eat everything chocolate, sooo much fast food, no protein, and i just had terrible habits... Its taken about a year, but i have broke most of my "bad habits".

I think, you should first focus on your exersize... Usually when people go for a run early in the morning, they want to eat healthier the rest of the day and yeaahh.. So just RELAX!! If you want it bad enough, you WILL get there! It just takes a loooong time to break bad habits and live a healthier life... Dont be too strict with yourself because then youll probably quit... Just slowly limit your junk foods... Like only 1 a day, then 5 a week, then 3 and so on... :)
  • imperfect188
    Options
    I feel like that everyday.

I know it's good to have long term goals but I find making goals throughout the day helps to keep me motivated. I absolutely hate getting up in the morning to workout (I'd rather sleep in) but I push myself to do it because I know it'll keep me motivated for the rest of the day. When I have those doubts I just keep repeating, "Control / (over) Convenience". I want to be in control of my health. It's too easy to sleep in, be idle and eat junk food.

It's a struggle I have to deal with everyday so I just take it one day at a time.

I know it's your vent but I hope my words gave you some encouragement.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I was struggling for a long time too. Started by trying to exercise more regularly and half-heartedly counting calories, but kept eating over. After "keepin' on keepin' on", the past week or two I have started eating better and wanting to stay in my calories. Keep at it! FInd something you'll stick with! I've been doing piloxing and zumba
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    First off: You are far from ugly. You are freaking beautiful!!!!

I can totally relate to the mindset however. I used to do the same thing. I would finish off a whole bag of cookies by myself NIGHTLY! I was depressed because I was overweight, and food made me feel better. It was a cycle that took a drastic life changing event to break. For me it was loosing my job that changed it all for me. It gave me a chance to get a new outlook on life.

It all comes down to taking control of your life. Remove all the toxic stuff from your life. If you crave salty or sweet things at night, then don't buy them. I refuse to buy cookies anymore because I know I can't control myself around them. Going out and partying is ok (god knows I am a pro at it). You can make healthy choices while having fun. Jack (or Captain) and diet is a great low calorie drink.

The bottom line is you CAN control your life. Just believe in yourself and don't sweat the small "slips". Be aware and try to minimize the possibility of falling off the wagon. You CAN do this!!!
  • eri00073
    eri00073 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for venting. Sounds like my story, you're telling there. :smile: One thing my wife and I are doing is cancelling cable TV. My fattening food consumption correlates with my sitting in front of the TV in the evening.

The other thing I'm doing is making time in my schedule for regular exercise at work, each day, at lunch. I have a friend I work out with most days. If no workout buddy on a particular day, I can use my iPhone, tap into our company WiFi and go to YouTube and watch good music videos. The other thing I can do is also work on my e-mails or attend WebEx meetings, if I only need to listen in.

Being an old bald guy with a new hip, I really want to keep in good shape so that I can take care of myself. I work out each week so that I'll be in good shape for Saturday morning hockey, with my pals. That's one of my main motivators for working out during the week.

Hope some of this was helpful to you or anyone else.:wink:
  • Bombbombgo
    Options
    "Movement causes motivation!" It is my favorite saying! My advice is 2 make every moment your new start, instead of waiting until tomorrow. I know how u feel, and i've spent weeks at a time feeling like that. I've learned that I can't wait until i'm motivated, the ACTIONhas to come first, causing momentum, causing motivation. You can do it! :)
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Start now, don't wait until tomorrow. Log your food you ate today. Log the food you'll eat tomorrow and do that for a week or two. Then, look back at what you've eaten and start making changes so you can be healthier.

Now get off the computer and go for a walk! :)

You don't totally have to give up junk. I type this while I'm eating a cup of Breyer's mint chocolate chip ice cream. It fits in my calories and nutrition for the day :)

You CAN do it, you just have to start and now's a good a time as any.
  • biff54928
    biff54928 Posts: 35
    Options
    A famous phrase/mantra on here: "You didn't get this way, (physically or emotionally,) overnight and you can't undo it overnight either." It will take a lot of steps forward and almost as many back. Just keep one step ahead, set realistic goals and be patient/kind with yourself---THAT will lead to a lifetime change instead of just another cog in a self-destructive cycle.

Love this!!! I am going to share this with a friend that is struggling right now with staying with her workouts. I am renewing my vows in June for my 25th anniversary and she is one of my "bridesmaids" and says she is too fat for her dress.

You can do it! Have faith in yourself. I myself got lazy after having 4 kids and just getting motivated to go for a walk was a struggle and don't buy all kinds of junk food. I know easier said than done.. been there... Good Luck
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate!! I've lost a bunch of weight but it's literally taken me YEARS to do it because I stick to it for a week, and then get bored, then get pissed off at myself and binge, then pissed off at myself and give up. Then I decide I can do it again, try for another week, ect. ect. ect. Today is a brilliant example. We didn't have any plans, so I was going to go to the gym. My hubby's not feeling well, so he didn't want to go. I used that as an excuse to sit on my as$ all day, and now I'm feeling crappy again.

There have been periods here and there where in my brain something has clicked and I have gone for MONTHS sticking to it and seen awesome results. I wish I could just figure out how to man that switch in my head!
  • wormy80
    wormy80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lakota1307
    lakota1307 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    read the book "the power of Habit" why we do the things we do in life and Business, it explains habits in detail and explains why we do what we do and How to break the bad habits
    biggest thing is REPLACE BAD HABIT WITH GOOD the is the only way to succeed. I can sympathize with the way you feel BIG TIME it sucks, but you can only fail if you give up!, so if you fall don't stop restart everyday , remember what you feel like right now when you wrote this remember how bad you feel and the next time you grab something to eat that you shouldn't ,ask yourself, "Do I want to feel like I did that One day?" It is a step :) good luck keep fighting !!!
  • lakota1307
    lakota1307 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate!! I've lost a bunch of weight but it's literally taken me YEARS to do it because I stick to it for a week, and then get bored, then get pissed off at myself and binge, then pissed off at myself and give up. Then I decide I can do it again, try for another week, ect. ect. ect. Today is a brilliant example. We didn't have any plans, so I was going to go to the gym. My hubby's not feeling well, so he didn't want to go. I used that as an excuse to sit on my as$ all day, and now I'm feeling crappy again.

There have been periods here and there where in my brain something has clicked and I have gone for MONTHS sticking to it and seen awesome results. I wish I could just figure out how to man that switch in my head!
    I can so relate to this !!!! last spell was almost 3 months !
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I do that regularly lately...most recently after polishing off a bag of Oreo Birthday cake cookies within two days.

It's hard but it can be done, I lost over 40 pds last year and I'm havingt to restart so I can relate. You can do it.