Running too slow?

Options
2»

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you or not but I'll tell you my experience. I can run for over an hour, my pulse stays around 160 (way high for my max, which is actually in the 150's), I feel fine and feel like I could go on forever. I'm not out of breath and I completely enjoy it. However, as soon as I slow down for my cool down, I have almost instant cramps in my calves. It is horribly painful so now I slow my jog down as slow as possible, then walk fast for 5 minutes, then walk slower for 5 more and so on, until my pulse is down to the 120's. I don't get why it hurts so bad when I slow down. It doesn't even make sense. The only thing that gets rid of it completely is to do the above and to make sure I stretch really well afterwards. I always warm up for 10 minutes by walking at about 3.5mph. Stretching BEFORE I run only makes it worse. I can't explain that either.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If I stretch before running then I can't run as far. <-- Truth!

Try not stretching before, and run. See if it makes a difference. Definitely stretch afterwards.

Also, make sure you eat well.
    I'm the same way! I do walk briskly for about 10 minutes to warm up instead and that works.
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If I stretch before running then I can't run as far. <-- Truth!

Try not stretching before, and run. See if it makes a difference. Definitely stretch afterwards.

Also, make sure you eat well.

I agree. I cannot stretch beforehand or my legs tire quickly. I have to stretch after. Also, look at what you ate the night before. I find what I've eaten affects my ability to run. Junk food - not so good for energy.
  • andreagreen1974
    andreagreen1974 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You don't stretch before you run. You stretch after. You can do a few warmups like these http://www.livestrong.com/article/103342-warm-up-exercises-running/ Or walk for 5-10 mins at a good, brisk pace. You can also check this out. http://www.livestrong.com/article/112030-exercises-improve-running/
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    On stretching: there is a lot of mixed advice out there, but my understanding of the exercise science research is that stretching doesn't do much for you, especially when done before exertion. Afterwards, go ahead and do it if it feels good. I do it for that reason.

I just remembered reading about a study that found a correlation between calf circumference and lower leg injuries. The upshot was that the stronger your calf muscles, the better. So consider adding some strengthening exercises to your routine--I do standing one-legged calf raises (stand on one foot, get up on your toes, then lower, then repeat). It's good for balance as well as strengthening the calf and various stabilizing muscles in your lower legs.

Shoes: they sometimes do not work out even if they are new. I have a pair right now that some people praise to the skies, but they gave me shin splints. If you are serious about running, you should consider picking up another pair--you'll need a new pair about every six months anyway (give or take, depending on how much you run).
  • kekpron
    kekpron Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Training for a half marathon on May 4. Today went for a 6 mile run (long run of the week). Around mile 2 I was hurting! Calves were crampy and achey. I stretched prior to the run. Going out i was trying to keep heart rate below 90%. After turning around I gave up on that and just ran and legs felt better. Heart rate was up to 97%. Is it really possible to run too slow and hurt yourself?

Maybe your gait is forced or awkward at the slower pace?

This one would be my guess. I know as I go faster I tend to put more focus on my stride but at slower speeds, I get sloppy and end up taken too long of strides which causes shin pain.
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well I have to report that today's 7 miles was a breeze! Only differences were I didn't look at HRM and the weather was about 50! I could've done more!
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Well I have to report that today's 7 miles was a breeze! Only differences were I didn't look at HRM and the weather was about 50! I could've done more!
    That is great!

FWIW, I often find the first couple of miles are sort of a drag, then I hit my stride and feel like I can run and run. It really has to do with warming up. There is a reason front runners are jogging around before races start. LOL

I also find it bothers me to stretch before a run. I stretch after a run and I'm a big fan of foam rollers and the like.

Happy running!