lifting, eating 1500 cals can i look "toned" ?

Options
I'm eating 1500 - 1700 calls. I work out 6 days/week for an hour. I lift heavy for me, ( bad neck) 15lb dumbbells for bicep curls, kickbacks, overhead press, use 25lb dumbbells for bent over rows, deadlifts. Squats. In between sets & on alternate days I jump on my mini tramp & dance ( hi knees,punches,etc) I need to lose 30 lbs. Will I melt fat leaving me looking a little more toned up ? I want to add muscle but need to get weight off ( Dr said it would help my neck) he says to use light weights,as in Barbie weights. I'm seeing no results with a tape or scales. Any thoughts ? I'm concerned about, you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit ....please help. How long does it take ? Did 3 solid weeks then 2 wks off for sprained ankle, back now to lifting , dancing & sweating for last 2 wks.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Put away the pink dumbbells. Lift heavy and take advantage of the newbie gains. Losing weight will make your muscles look more defined and give you that "cut" look (please never use the word "toned" ever again, it's like nails on a chalkboard).
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    The first time around that I lost alot of weight while lifting was good I could eat anything and everything. Then I was injured.

This time around Im eating more food but not anything and everything lol Still high in calorie intake especially on lifting days as I tend to eat more.

BTW if you want to use the word "toned" You flaunt it girlfriend hehe!!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Toned=unjiggley: idk WHY no one approves of that word, "ripped" is not a word in this body's dictionary. Lol. But cardio is going to take the fat off, leaving whatever muscle has been " created" underneath ? Bc I keep hearing " don't do so much cardio " from fellow fitness pals on here. So will lifting the weights (10,15,20,25) I'm using melt fat? Thanks for the help.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Toned=unjiggley:laugh: idk WHY no one approves of that word, "ripped" is not a word in this body's dictionary. Lol.
    "Toned" is usually used in the context of "I don't want to get bulky, I just want to tone up." as if "toning up" is a thing. Muscle can be lost, maintained, or gained, not "toned". That's why everyone here hates that word.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    @Justsomerand Your brilliant
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Put away the pink dumbbells. Lift heavy and take advantage of the newbie gains. Losing weight will make your muscles look more defined and give you that "cut" look (please never use the word "toned" ever again, it's like nails on a chalkboard).
    TONED
    Some people use the word. Get over it. What does it matter. Just be helpful.

OP: give yourself more time. 3 weeks isn't much. Especially with lighter weights.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    @Justsomerand Your brilliant
    :flowerforyou: Thank you
  • lovinlandl
    lovinlandl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the answer to this too......regardless of what it is called :)
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Toned=unjiggley: idk WHY no one approves of that word, "ripped" is not a word in this body's dictionary. Lol. But cardio is going to take the fat off, leaving whatever muscle has been " created" underneath ? Bc I keep hearing " don't do so much cardio " from fellow fitness pals on here. So will lifting the weights (10,15,20,25) I'm using melt fat? Thanks for the help.

Im lifting three days a week doing 3x5 and cardio twice a week sometimes the same day as lifting. Im dropping inches and starting to see definition. Its all trial and error. Everyone is different. Maybe lift three times a week and do only 30 minutes of cardio the other three
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    I don't hate the word "toned". Describe your goals however you want and good luck in the process!
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    No, you can't build muscle on a deficit. Yes, you can look more muscular and get stronger. Lift as heavy as you can without hurting yourself. :)

oh, btw, I don't hate the word "toned" either...it evokes a mental image of a certain type of body, and if that's what you want, more power to you. Personally, I prefer words like "freak", "beast", and "warrior goddess", but to each their own... =D
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    15 lbs for bicep curls with good form is tough! I'd say you are lifting good weight. Stick with it, and watch your protein. You'll figure out what works for you.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are using enough weight that it feels challenging. If you easiliy busting out 15 reps its probably not heavy enough. If your not consuming enough protein you are going to have a hard time gaining any muscle tone. I lift weights heavy at least 4 days a week. I really got noticable results by doing HIIT cardio with it and increased protein intake.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No, you can't build muscle on a deficit. Yes, you can look more muscular and get stronger. Lift as heavy as you can without hurting yourself. :)

oh, btw, I don't hate the word "toned" either...it evokes a mental image of a certain type of body, and if that's what you want, more power to you. Personally, I prefer words like "freak", "beast", and "warrior goddess", but to each their own... =D
    THIS is helpful!
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    "Warrior Goddess" Now thats what I'm talking about! *goes to update profile aspirations*
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Exceptions: newbie gains and intermittent fasting (lean gains, warrior diet, cheat mode, etc)

If OP is new to lifting she can still gain some muscle while losing fat.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    There is a calculator on this site that I cant find now. I think its from some sit call i-fit? Anyway, for body recomp, it will tell you to eat less on a non-workout day and more on a workout day. That makes most sense to me.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1500 - 1700 calls. I work out 6 days/week for an hour. I lift heavy for me, ( bad neck) 15lb dumbbells for bicep curls, kickbacks, overhead press, use 25lb dumbbells for bent over rows, deadlifts. Squats. In between sets & on alternate days I jump on my mini tramp & dance ( hi knees,punches,etc) I need to lose 30 lbs. Will I melt fat leaving me looking a little more toned up ? I want to add muscle but need to get weight off ( Dr said it would help my neck) he says to use light weights,as in Barbie weights. I'm seeing no results with a tape or scales. Any thoughts ? I'm concerned about, you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit ....please help. How long does it take ? Did 3 solid weeks then 2 wks off for sprained ankle, back now to lifting , dancing & sweating for last 2 wks.

Have you had any progression in the weights you are using?

It's fine to start off light, but you need to add weight as you progress. You can't keep lifting the same amount, you need to make it a challenge.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options

Exceptions: newbie gains and intermittent fasting (lean gains, warrior diet, cheat mode, etc)

If OP is new to lifting she can still gain some muscle while losing fat.

I agree with newbie gains...but, not the rest. She won't build significant muscle on a calorie deficit, period. IF is not magic. The body can't build something from nothing. There is no diet or method of eating that trumps the laws of physics. But if anyone would like to show me some examples of people who have gained significant amounts of LBM (without drugs), while eating at a caloric deficit, I'll be waiting for those pics...