Pilates or yoga to do alongside C25K???

Options
Hi forgive me for being so ignorant, but I have no idea as to what exactly the difference is between yoga and pilates and I'm thinking about taking up one of these to start doing on the days that I am not doing C25k.

Can anyone tell me which would be more beneficial alongside my running please? Also can anyone recommend any good DVDs please? I'm not a class-goer!

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• ferrier2010
    Options
    Hi, how about combining them both and doing yogalates?? I have a Lousie Solomon DVD and I love it!

I used it the first time I lost weight and thought it made a huge difference to my body shape and really helped me tone up, You can get her DVDs off Amazon and they are always pretty cheap.

Hope this helped!
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There are loads of different types of yoga, depending on what you want to do - to become more flexible, strengthen back, shoulders, legs, etc.. or just for the spiritual benefits. Pilates is generally focussed on the core and building strength there. It depends what you want to achieve through it. I would recommend yoga as it can help with your posture and strength, also will maintain the flexibility in your legs that you can lose through running/biking.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    yoga stretches out body while pilates is more of a constricting. paired they are great.

I do pilates 1x a week and yoga 1-2x a week.

i think the combo is great. I personally CANNOT sit in front of a tv and workout. drives me insane. so i go to classes but if you can do it at home why not
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    So yoga sounds like it might be the way to go. I am not at all flexible! lol!! I'm a practicing Catholic and so I just want to do it for the stretching, the balance and the flexibility. I am an absolute beginner though, so I have no clue where to start so I'm wanting a DVD suited to stiff folk like me! Haha!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    So yoga sounds like it might be the way to go. I am not at all flexible! lol!! I'm a practicing Catholic and so I just want to do it for the stretching, the balance and the flexibility. I am an absolute beginner though, so I have no clue where to start so I'm wanting a DVD suited to stiff folk like me! Haha!
    You might try one of Sara Ivanhoe's yoga DVDs--I have the Yoga Body Makeover Series and it's pretty good, especially for beginners (not the workout with weights, though--I didn't care for that one). I haven't done it in some time because I prefer classes, but check it out on Amazon and read the reviews to see if it might be right for you.

If you can, though, try to take a few classes before attempting yoga at home. You can't stop a DVD and ask the instructor, "Am I doing this right?"
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    As an avid runner I LOVE yoga on my "rest" days. I do power yoga and Bikram yoga classes. I have a couple DVDs but my favorite is Jillian Michaels' yoga DVD because it's short but effective. Yoga is great for building strength and flexibility. It has really helped my pace time, too.

This yogalates DVD that someone mentioned sounds awesome, though! I may have to look into that :)
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! :smile:
  • NataliaCT
    Options
    Hi! If you want to know more differences between Yoga and Pilates, go ahead and read this article: http://nataliacoretraining.com/difference-between-mat-pilates-and-yoga/
    I do pilates 2 times a week and yoga once a week, it really helps to keep my body in shape!