Eat more to weigh more, apparently.

Options
This is so ridiculous. I've been trying to lose the same 15 lbs for five years and nothing. works. I know this seems like a piddly amount of weight, but I'm 5'2 and it makes a big difference on how I look and how I feel about myself. Plus, I'm 30% BF, which is not good. I should be able to lose this weight without killing myself at the gym and doing boot camps. In fact, when I was doing Cardio Core Bootcamp, I didn't lose a single pound. It doesn't matter how much or little I eat or exercise. My weight doesn't budge, and my measurements haven't changed in years.

I've been tracking religiously. I even count the honey and milk in my tea for god's sake. For 4 weeks I've been on the Wendie plan, which means I've upped my calories considerably compared to the <1000cal/day I've been used to for about ten years now. This also means I've been eating more one day, then less the next to get my metabolism going.

My TDEE -20% is 1300 calories, which I've been meeting daily. The first 2 weeks I lost a total of 2 lbs, now in the last 2 weeks I've gained 3. I just want to bash my head against a wall. Why does this whole "in place of a road map" stuff work for everyone on mfp except me? Am I just not being patient? Did anyone find it took a while before their weight started coming off?

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If you've been eating that little for that long, your metabolism has adjusted because your body expects to be fed at that level. You're going to see an initial weight gain, but stick with it a while longer and let your body adjust. The weight should eventually start coming off, but it's going to take a little while. Don't give up.
  • raincoastgirl
    Options
    If you've been eating that little for that long, your metabolism has adjusted because your body expects to be fed at that level. You're going to see an initial weight gain, but stick with it a while longer and let your body adjust. The weight should eventually start coming off, but it's going to take a little while. Don't give up.

Yeah. I'm growing a bit resentful of weight watchers, because I feel as if they've ruined my body some how. Thank you for the encouraging words.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    compared to the <1000cal/day I've been used to for about ten years now

If you've really been eating less than 1000 cal/day, your metabolism probably has slowed to compensate for this, making sure that your vital organs get what they need, and trying to hold onto the fat incase of catastrophic loss of calorie income. I hesitate to call it "starvation mode" (I hate that term) but yeah, it's going to take some time for your body to recognize that it is going to keep getting more and for your metabolism to pick up. Give it time. In the mean time, if you want to change that 30% body fat, hit the gym and lift things. Or at home, even. Sorry, but you DO have to work out, including resistance (weights or the intense kind of yoga or pilates) do change your body. If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

I'm 5'0" and I would never survive on 1000 cal, or even 1200. I lose on 1600 calories a day (and I'll admit, i don't even stick to that every day, I probably go over 1-2 days a week). It's not fast, maybe 1/2 to 1 lb a week. And i have weeks where it goes back up, or doesn't change, but then it'll go down again. And I feel like this is a lifestyle I can stick with, not just a "diet" where I can't wait until it's over.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Keep eating at TDEE - 20% and it will work, you might want to only do -10% what is your rush? let your body adjust to eatting a healthy amount. Glad you could vent, just do not give up.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I agree with crystalflame - based on past eating habits, it may take a bit longer for you to see results. Are you taking measurements and photos too? Measurements will often show results when the scale doesn't.

Hang in there - for some people it takes longer for it all to come together. I wish i could remember when I started seeing results, but I will say that I've been eating according to the road map for about a year, and have had the best weight/fat/inches lost results during that time!
  • raincoastgirl
    Options

In the mean time, if you want to change that 30% body fat, hit the gym and lift things. Or at home, even. Sorry, but you DO have to work out, including resistance (weights or the intense kind of yoga or pilates) do change your body. If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Thanks for responding. I know you speak the truth, but I've become resistant to working out because everything I try doesn't make a difference. I've run marathons, done hot yoga, joined a gym. Before Christmas I started a new job that requires me to be running around lifting heavy boxes and stocking shelves. I know I should do more, like you say, but it's so hard when everything is always such a disappointment. I'm depressed and unmotivated. I'd give anything for half a pound a week. Maybe I'll try doing some resistance workouts.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    ....because the road map approach does not work for every one. Definitely not for me. There are so many variables in the whole system: age, gender, built, metabolism, menopause or not, thyroid gland, allergies we don't know of (like gluten) and a lot more. Try it for a while and record you intake religiously. You have to work out to lose, of course. And yes, even honey and milk have to be in your diary since they have calories....
    Most importantly it is the macros which will help you on your way. If you fill up your caloric allowance by eating carbs and fat only of course the road map won't work, no dietary approach will. So the whole "eat more to lose" is a bit of an empty promise because we tend to think like " eat more(chips, chocolate.." LOL
    Try it and be honest to yourself about your intake and workouts. If it doesn't work check out the macros. You might even get a check up by your doctor. And as I use to say: there is no one-for-all solution, no recipe for losing x in y weeks. Thank god we are all so different.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Thanks for responding. I know you speak the truth, but I've become resistant to working out because everything I try doesn't make a difference. I've run marathons, done hot yoga, joined a gym. Before Christmas I started a new job that requires me to be running around lifting heavy boxes and stocking shelves. I know I should do more, like you say, but it's so hard when everything is always such a disappointment. I'm depressed and unmotivated. I'd give anything for half a pound a week. Maybe I'll try doing some resistance workouts.

Try to focus on working out to be healthy and to feel better, both mentally and physically, instead of ONLY doing it to lose weight. Exercise has many benefits beyond weight loss.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

I agree with this, eating so little for so many years....your body needs to learn that it can "trust" what you are doing and that the more calories is really going to be a lasting thing so it can let go of some fat. Two other things.... when you are close to your goal, what you eat is very important....no fast food, procesed or boxed stuff, eat as clean as you can. The other thing is exercise....do some strength training to help your muscles and you will burn more fat, even when not exercising.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Diary isn't open so I can't look to see, but does OP exercise? How much? What kind?
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE -20% is 1300? Are you sure? Did you include exercise in that or are you eating back exercise cals separately? 1300 seems low. But yes it is going to take awhile for your body to catch up to eating more. Give yourself time to heal.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    ....because the road map approach does not work for every one. Definitely not for me. There are so many variables in the whole system: age, gender, built, metabolism, menopause or not, thyroid gland, allergies we don't know of (like gluten) and a lot more. Try it for a while and record you intake religiously. You have to work out to lose, of course. And yes, even honey and milk have to be in your diary since they have calories....
    Most importantly it is the macros which will help you on your way. If you fill up your caloric allowance by eating carbs and fat only of course the road map won't work, no dietary approach will. So the whole "eat more to lose" is a bit of an empty promise because we tend to think like " eat more(chips, chocolate.." LOL
    Try it and be honest to yourself about your intake and workouts. If it doesn't work check out the macros. You might even get a check up by your doctor. And as I use to say: there is no one-for-all solution, no recipe for losing x in y weeks. Thank god we are all so different.

While I agree that there are a few outlying issues that can make it harder to lose weight, for most of the people, most of the time, eating at a reasonable deficit is going to cause weight loss. Even if you ate only junk food. Fat and carbs don't make you fat, eating more than you burn makes you fat.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    15lbs from goal weight. <1000cal/day for 10 years. 30% BF

TDEE - 20% under these circumstances sounds too aggressive to me. Just slashing calories doesn't work for you - you already know that. If you want a long term fix then you probably should be thinking less about losing fat for now and and more about recovering some of the muscle you've lost. That might mean more food, less cardio, and getting really serious about strength training. Also I would advise putting your scale in the protective custody of a friend for a while so that it would be around to mock you as you get things sorted out.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Eating more to compliment a heavy lifting program (not cardio) is what fixed it for me. Not just killing myself doing the cardio I was aready adapted to handle well. I nixed cardio completely for 1 year and hit my goal weight 10 months in but that was NOTHING compared to how beautiful my body started to become.
  • dazzo62
    dazzo62 Posts: 78
    Options
    I am trying TDEE for the first time but I do not know if it correctly factors in age. I am going through (almost finished?) menopause. Our bodies Slow Down.
    I am a lifetime WeightWatcher maintaing 130 at 5'6", always playing to get to and maintain 125. But I have always eaten at least 1200, so TDEE is putting me at 1600 for "light activity"
    I will try it for a few weeks.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Yeah. I'm growing a bit resentful of weight watchers, because I feel as if they've ruined my body some how. Thank you for the encouraging words.

I gained 30 lbs on weight watchers, while working out HARD 3x/week. I finally started losing when I increased my calories and protein, cut out sugar and wheat, and started eating protein in the mornings.
    Good luck!!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    15lbs from goal weight. <1000cal/day for 10 years. 30% BF

TDEE - 20% under these circumstances sounds too aggressive to me. Just slashing calories doesn't work for you - you already know that. If you want a long term fix then you probably should be thinking less about losing fat for now and and more about recovering some of the muscle you've lost. That might mean more food, less cardio, and getting really serious about strength training. Also I would advise putting your scale in the protective custody of a friend for a while so that it would be around to mock you as you get things sorted out.

^^THIS. And if you've run marathons/other races then you've made progress! Please find other ways to track your progress besides the number on the scale. Focus on changing your BF% and increasing your strength...your body will transform and it won't matter what the scale says.
  • raincoastgirl
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's advice and for taking the time to respond.

My diary isn't open, but to clarify some comments--I don't eat fast food or chips or anything processed. I am vegetarian and try to get protein through beans and lentils, though I do notice that if I'm falling under in MFP numbers it's consistently in protein.

As for exercise, I'm a runner, but have fallen out of it because the lack of progress is demotivating for me. Most of you have suggested strength training, so I guess I should get my *kitten* in gear.

I might also mention that when I saw my doctor about this, he refused to have me tested for anything and tried to put me on anti-depressants. I'm extremely nervous about attempting a dr consultation again.

Thanks again, all =)
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    not just strength training dollface - WEIGHTS!!!

dont let me catch you lifting something that weighs less than your purse like 30 times!