Reached my goal and returning to old habits!!

Options
I'm falling over the edge big time. it's like I can't stop eating help! I'm starting to get old habits. it's like I forgot all the healthy things I used to eat.
Am I more hungrier cause I'm thinner?
I'm thinking oh I can eat this pack of hot chips, and I'll work it of later, type thinking grrrrr

Replies

• teshiburu
    teshiburu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Set another goal,

maybe not a weight loss goal but how about a stamina one?

say ill run on the treadmill at speed x for x and be able to do this every day and set a goal for when you want to achieve it'?
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Look at what you have already done!
    And you know that it's not worth of it, ruining everything...

Maybe, you just choose a diet/lifestyle that is not sustainable for you...

If you restricted too much, if you forced yourself to suffer too much, now all that is asking the bill...

Stop. Eating. Now.
    Breathe...

And NOW, set a new goal on MFP, a sustainable one, a maintenance one.

Don't buy unhealthy food, don't have it at home, allow yourself something good, even unhealthy, once a while, just think, really think, at what food are important for your moral.
    Don't treat you too badly.

You can do that.

Really!!!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I've done exactly the same and am eating twice the calories I was whilst losing weight, but have yoyo-ed for the last 3months of maintenance. A week after I hit my goal I set myself the challenge of completing my local half marathon at the end of this month, and not just complete it but to do it in a decent time.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Maintaining continues to be hard for me too. Losing was easier as you said NO to everything. No drinking - now I try to have one or two glasses of wine at an event and it turns into a binge of drink and food. Then If I go out to eat, I end up eating everything. So... I too struggle but.... When I go off the wagon, I get back on no matter how bad I feel for a few days. I weigh myself (depressed at the 3-4 lb weight gain that is usually water and bloat) and start logging all food. In a week or so, I am back to my goal weight and end up doing this cycle about once a month or so when I have a fun place to go.

Maybe that is maintenance. Maybe that is how "normal eaters" stay the same weight all their lives. I fear gaining it all back. Saw this quote and it helps:

If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?
  • DutchFrancis
    DutchFrancis Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Print out some old pictures of yourself and put them on your fridge and where you store 'bad' foods. You DON'T want to go back there! Also keep buying groceries like you're still on a diet. It takes about 2 years to create new eatinghabits so if you lost the weight in less time, your new habits aren't 'set' in your brain yet. Reaching your goal doesn't mean you're 'done'... Losing weight isn't hard, keeping it off is! So set your mind on your new goal of keeping this weight and work at that like you worked at losing weight. There will be a time when you can eat bad things and not gain a few pounds right away, but your body ánd mind have to get used to this new regime before that happens and that just takes longer.

You are strong, you lost all those pounds so you know that you can do this too! Stick to it and hang in there!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Maintaining continues to be hard for me too. Losing was easier as you said NO to everything. No drinking - now I try to have one or two glasses of wine at an event and it turns into a binge of drink and food. Then If I go out to eat, I end up eating everything. So... I too struggle but.... When I go off the wagon, I get back on no matter how bad I feel for a few days. I weigh myself (depressed at the 3-4 lb weight gain that is usually water and bloat) and start logging all food. In a week or so, I am back to my goal weight and end up doing this cycle about once a month or so when I have a fun place to go.

Maybe that is maintenance. Maybe that is how "normal eaters" stay the same weight all their lives. I fear gaining it all back. Saw this quote and it helps:

If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?

LOVE THIS POST!! This is the same thing that I do. I actually went away for a romantic weekend this past weekend. Logged all of my foods and tried to exercise a bit more. I ended up "breaking even" with my calories (I have a BodyMedia that calculates my burn), but ate out a lot more than usual (every meal and not as healthy as normal) and am up 4 pounds this morning. I know if I make better choices this week that the "weight" will be gone. I realize though that I cannot let one weekend of unhealthy food choices turn into a week or a month and so on. I think for me that is the difference this time. I've been maintaining a 60 pound loss since early November and my plan got me through the holidays and other weekends away with my fiance. I want to stay the size that I am and I think that being constantly vigilant is the only way to do it.

Thanks for the cool car quote.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Well... when you reached your goal... did you just stop making goals? Do you have a plan for what to do now? Are you getting ready to do anything else... or - im not being snarky, but did you reach your goal weight and stop exercising and just watch your nutrition? What is your maintenance plan?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking of the word diet as a verb...something with a beginning and end point. Start thinking of diet as a noun..that way it's forever, and it's a lifestyle. This is why so many people say that you have to put yourself on a sustainable path when you are "dieting"...when you're too restrictive and take an all or nothing approach, you're really like a pendulum swinging to extremes where really, you should want to be balanced.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Loving the quote. Might have to steal for future use :D
  • dazzo62
    dazzo62 Posts: 78
    Options
    I have maintained my weight within 5 -7 lbs for over 25 years (lost 70).

Set new goals. Plan a new eating regime where you eat often. Your body needs to rest itself. Do not stop exercising - it is key.

Rejoice in buying a new piece of clothing (or several if you can afford it). Believe it or not, you will continue to get smaller even if you do not lose another pound - that may be your next goal - 1 size smaller!

Plan treats for yourself - live by the 80/20 Rule!