Knee surgery and running shoes...

Options
I've recently started the couch-2-5K running program (week 3 completed!). But, I had ACL reconstruction done on my knee almost 6 years ago and still have problems with it sometimes. Does anyone have any running tips or suggestions for good shoes that may help?

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few pairs of different versions of New Balance shoes and they seem to work for me. I've been working up to running again after "years" off and knee surgery (years ago also). It sometimes takes an ice pack and Advil, but I still seem to prefer it . . .
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I went to my local running store and had the sales people fit me for shoes. They said I needed max support which I never bought before. I always thought those shoes were uncomfortable compared to the comfortable shoes, and they gave me a size bigger. I left that store angry and saying they don't know what they are talking about. I'm so happy I ran before I returned the shoes, because they are AWESOME! I would suggest getting fitted, and asking your PMD if you should be wearing a brace or an ace. while you run. Also if you see it around, this month in Self magazine they did an article on how to run appropriately. I can't find my mag at the moment, but they touch on knee preservation.
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    I had ACL repair done about 5 years ago (maybe a tad longer), and I have had the best experience with New Balance.

ADD: I agree with having the salespeople fit you for shoes, feet are different, what's good for me may not be the right choice for you. Good luck, and keep us posted on your C25K progress. :smile:
  • nikkieliivey
    nikkieliivey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain!

I have had three ACL reconstruction surgeries. After my first one, I was okay to start running again. I made sure I put some Dr. School's in my shoes for extra padding! I also made sure that I learned the proper technique for running. I realized that I was putting a lot of stress on my knees b/c I was not running correctly. Nevertheless, I found that running, although I loved it, just le to more knee problems....now I have no meniscus and can never really run again. I would try subbing some of your running for a good spin class. You can burn even more calories and it is really fun! Also, I am not sure if you are trying to lose weight, but I find that if I mix up my cardio routines I lose weight much more quickly. I know it is super hard to depart from running (i didn't stop until I was absolutely forbiden), but it might be something worth looking into...but if you want to run, i recommend a good solid running shoe with some dr. schools or i think i had found some shock absorbing pads that I put in my shoe. Also, perfecting my running technique helped a ton! Best of luck!
  • nikkieliivey
    nikkieliivey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain!

I have had three ACL reconstruction surgeries. After my first one, I was okay to start running again. I made sure I put some Dr. School's in my shoes for extra padding! I also made sure that I learned the proper technique for running. I realized that I was putting a lot of stress on my knees b/c I was not running correctly. Nevertheless, I found that running, although I loved it, just le to more knee problems....now I have no meniscus and can never really run again. I would try subbing some of your running for a good spin class. You can burn even more calories and it is really fun! Also, I am not sure if you are trying to lose weight, but I find that if I mix up my cardio routines I lose weight much more quickly. I know it is super hard to depart from running (i didn't stop until I was absolutely forbiden), but it might be something worth looking into...but if you want to run, i recommend a good solid running shoe with some dr. schools or i think i had found some shock absorbing pads that I put in my shoe. Also, perfecting my running technique helped a ton! Best of luck!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would just recommend that you pay a lot of attention to muscle strengthening--not only the muscles themselves, but balance and proprioception. I do not think there is any commercial running shoe that can provide adequate knee protection by itself. For all the hype and advertising and claims by the shoe manufacturers, most running shoes have a pretty basic design. Don't get me wrong, a good shoe and the right shoe is important, but it's about #4 on the list of important things for someone with knee issues to be concerned about if they want to run.
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    I would just recommend that you pay a lot of attention to muscle strengthening--not only the muscles themselves, but balance and proprioception. I do not think there is any commercial running shoe that can provide adequate knee protection by itself. For all the hype and advertising and claims by the shoe manufacturers, most running shoes have a pretty basic design. Don't get me wrong, a good shoe and the right shoe is important, but it's about #4 on the list of important things for someone with knee issues to be concerned about if they want to run.

On that note, I will say that I eased myself back into exercise while trying to get fit after surgery. First I walked (in a brace) with short intervals of jogging, slowly increasing the lengths of the intervals as I felt my knee could handle it. At first, I had a lot of soreness, but as my knee got stronger, it diminished tremendously. I'm currently doing the Insanity program so I haven't been running like I was, but I've noticed significant improvement in my strength on that side. It doesn't make the "crackly" noises when I go down into and come up from a deep squatting position.

I feel like I'm rambling, but I guess my point was that I completely agree that shoes are not the end all be all for post-surgery knees.
  • sarahjking
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely go to a shoe store and get fitted for the right kind of shoes! Current problem is, I live in Japan and won't be back in the states until July, so I'll have to make do with what I have (New Balance runners).
  • sarahjking
    Options
    Oh yeah, I do have a knee brace from my therapist (patella stabilizer). I ran today and wore it for the first time since I started C25K. Definitely helped a lot, I just hate wearing a brace when I run, I feel like it gets in the way..
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    Oh yeah, I do have a knee brace from my therapist (patella stabilizer). I ran today and wore it for the first time since I started C25K. Definitely helped a lot, I just hate wearing a brace when I run, I feel like it gets in the way..

Me too, I'm not sure if they make braces that are more 'runner' friendly or not, I'd love to know. I've seen the knee straps, but I think they're more for tendonitis.