Any Migraine Sufferers?

Options

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've had migraines and other headaches for almost as long as I can remember. I've tried most anything--from prescriptions to home remedies. I just couldn't bear locking myself in a cold room for hours or days on end.

In October, I went low-carb (I lose weight the best this way and I can stick with it). By November, I hadn't had my usual headaches. I wrote all this down, along with what I stopped eating. When I cheated around Christmas and ate a ton of sugar and carbs, I woke up the next day with a migraine.

So, for me, the sugar and starches (and probably wheat) are my triggers. I'm glad too, because they are something I can easily avoid.

The magnesium supplement worked wonders years ago for me. I went from having 3-5 migraines a month to 1-2.
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is related, but has anyone experienced phantom smells. I am not sure if it is related to migraines, but sometime I get this "smokey/dusty" smell that can last a couple of hours to a couple of days -- very irritating if nothing else. No one else smells it so I no longer ask anyone if they smell what I am smelling. Just curious!
    [/quote]

I get it too but mine is usually a rotten smell... This was from a finding by reutgers researchers:
    "Usually, the pre-migraine scents are not sweet. "The most common was of the burning or smoke variety," Robbins said. Some headache sufferers described a general burning smell, while others said they smelled cigar smoke, wood smoke or burned popcorn. After those burning scents, "decomposition" odors -- like garbage or sewage -- were the next most common."
  • missylee117
    missylee117 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I suffered for years with intense migraines, then I read a book about migraines and their triggers, I really feel that food has soo very much to do with migraines, not everyone agrees with me, but if I drink two cups of coffee say and about 2 hours later have a cup of tea, I am def. going to have a migraine within two hours, you have to learn your triggers, it could come from food, a weather change, the sun etc there are so many triggers you just need to find out what is yours, its not simple but well worth it. And the best medication out there once you feel one coming on is Exedrin! I used to get auras before so it gave me time to get to my meds before the headache came on like a tornado and landed me in the hospital. Took a big part of my life away from suffering since I was 5 yrs old.

Do and read everything you can, like I said its worth it, once you find out your triggers life will be so much better.

good luck and I hope this info helps a bit.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Cheese, and processed meats can also trigger. Lights, sounds, strong smells... have you though of any of those as triggers? Mine seems to be light issues that trigger mine.

I got migraine with aura from when I was in high school until a few years ago. Now, I only get the auras. I get completely disoriented before the aura, and I know one is coming. Then, have visual distortions (squiggly, flashy, disco ball light lines) for around 20 minutes, get blind spots, tunnel vision, and then I am completely wiped out afterward. No headache anymore.

Good luck to you!

Ever considered botox to treat the migraines? I'd love to hear about some people who have tried this....
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My migraines last between 3-5 days. I have been getting them since 2007 and never found my triggers either. One thing I have noticed that keeps them away is eating clean and excersing daily. And vigorously. No easy workouts. It also helps my back pain (I have a slight case of scoliosis). I have minimized the occurences, but not eliminated them completely. Unfortunately, I may never know what causes them, but I dislike precriptions and will avoid them if I can. I feel your pain....
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that i have tried SEVERAL medications. they all have terrible side effects. all the migraine pain relievers and the anti-depressants make me feel "out-of-it" and sick. i would rather deal with the migraine until it passes.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I suffered chronic migraine for years before I switched doctors and she looked at the meds that I was taking and told me that she thought the birth control pills were bring them on. Once I got off them I went from 3-4 migraines a week to....well....Yesterday was the first time that I'd felt one coming on in almost a year and I was able to stop it before it got back with 2 aleve and a small amount of chocolate. Chocolate always seemed to help for some reason. That and an ice pack. I was also told to stay away from any pain reliever that contained aspirin because that was working against me. My son still finds it hilarious that one of the prescription pain killers (relpax) I was given for the migraines stated that one of the side effects of the pill was headaches. Good luck and if you don't want to take pills for the head aches (and I understand that because I have too many that I have to take for other medical conditions) research and try natural remedies and see what works for you. Like the chocoalte and ice for me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is related, but has anyone experienced phantom smells. I am not sure if it is related to migraines, but sometime I get this "smokey/dusty" smell that can last a couple of hours to a couple of days -- very irritating if nothing else. No one else smells it so I no longer ask anyone if they smell what I am smelling. Just curious!

I don't get phantom smells but I do get a very heightened sense of smell sometimes just prior to a migraine. Usually my sense of smell is very poor so I know that if I suddenly start smelling food/perfume/diesel cars really strongly it's time to take some meds.

If you get a precursor to your attacks perhaps your Doctor can prescribe a preventative medication that you can start taking? I was prescribed pizotifen for many years, beta blockers also commonly used. Believe feverfew (herbal remedy) is also used this way.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have had daily migraines (yes, every afternoon) since I was about 19 for 2 years. In the end it came down to a few factors I think.

Firstly, EYES! I had astigmatism, and had my eyes checked at the beginning of my journey to fix this problem but was only given normal prescription which didn't fix my astigmatism. Get your eyes checked properly.

Secondly, GLUTEN! That stuff has being wreaking havoc with me, and I only know that now that I have gone gluten free.

Thirdly, SUGAR! When my sugar levels weren't so good (or what I felt like was my sugar levels) I would start to get a migraine.

Finally, STRESS! After exams/stressful situation when I 'relaxed' I would get a splitting migraine. Still managed to get 38/40 in my accounting with a migraine in 1st year though (fell asleep half way through the time slot after quickly finishing paper haha).

I still get them from time to time, and have found that my glasses prescription has changed drastically - my astigmatism seemed to have corrected itself in December last year (I started getting migraines again so got my glasses checked) - turns out the glasses had started doing me harm. But that being said, now 3 months later my sight is getting worse again.

Never ending battle, sorry!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have suffered migraines since I was 7. They go through periods where they are more frequent, but when I turned 35, they started getting MUCH more severe. I suffer the entire aura, paralysis, nausea, numbness, blindness, etc. I've been through every medication for it and none of them work. I'm not a candidate for botox. I've done all of the elimination diets and never could attribute them to a trigger. I've done that 5 times. The only thing we can think of is stress - and it's not even when the stress is happening, but when it starts to let go - guaranteed within 7 days, BAM, I'm either in bed or the ER. The only other thing? Head injuries/concussions. :(:(:(

The only thing I've ever found that helps? If I can catch it at the very onset of the auras, I can drink two very strong cups of coffee, take 4 advil and lay down for a while. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. Sadly, I have started waking up with them in the middle of the night. The last one I had in January (which, prior to, I'd been getting them every 7-10 days like clockwork), I did end up in the ER with the worst migraine of my life. They gave me Dilaudid and I was fine for a few hours, but the pain, though less severe, returned and stayed for 6 days. And I'd just gone through three months of sheer he!!.

Interesting side note - it's not every time, but I've tracked it back to 38 times now: Earthquakes. I get a migraine about 2-3 hours before they hit. Chile, Haiti, Japan, Indonesia, Turkey, Iran, etc etc etc. Now, there's been migraines without them and earthquakes without migraines, But there ya go. It's always the big ones, too 7+. I don't get that, but I have proven it so many times, it's scary.
  • natashalh1998
    natashalh1998 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump for later, thank you for sharing your stories.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have been getting migranes for about 20 years now. They seem to coincide with my menstrual cycle, but not always. I've tried to figure out the triggers, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason. When I get them I start out feeling foggy, then a dull pain behind my right eye. If I take two Excedrin then i almost always can head it off at the pass. If I don't have medication with me, or I am working on the computer, by the time I get home it's full blown and there is no remedy except a cool shower and a dark room. Sometimes I will wake up with them. Does this happen to anyone else?

I have noticed a burning smell a few times, but never put two and two together...until now.

My doctor has given my a perscription for Imitrex and Fiorcet, but I haven't had them filled yet. I want to TTC this summer and really don't want to go that way...unless I have no other choice.

He wants to do an CT scan of my head to be sure. In December I had one a week...which is the most I have ever gotten. They seem to get worse the older I get. I haven't had any since December...( I associated that to eating right and exercise), but today I woke up with one, so that theory is shot to hell...lol
  • kendrafox
    kendrafox Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been having migraines since my freshmen year of high school and once I had my son, they only got worse and more frequent. A few years ago I went in for a routine eye exam and found out that I had a Pseudotumor cerebri, which is just a build-up of of intracranial pressure for no explainable reason. I was told that with diet and exercise, that it would eventually go away on its own. They have not disappeared yet (I have one as I am typing this) but they have been so frequent (currently get them at least once a month and they last for 2-3 days to a week), that I have learned to deal with the pressure and pain and push through so that I can get what I need to done. Showers are the only thing that really help with my migraines besides sleep. Over the counter meds don't really work. Caffeine used to help, but I have cut it out of my diet except for occasionally when we go out for dinner.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Some things that have helped me:

1) A humidifyer... if the air in my house is too dry I will wake up with a migraine.
    2) A neti pot ... I use a neti pot each night before bed and that really helps
    3) Sounds really weird but nasal lubricant (there are a lot of different brands out there... it's a clear gel). I have found that if inside my nose is dry I will get a migraine. This gel has really helped!

I have to rotate between Advil and Tylenol for mine. If I catch it early I can still function when I get them. If I don't take something as soon as I feel it coming on I'm out of commission for a day or two.

I have also found for me I get migraines if I'm outside in the cold for too long (I believe it is due to my nose being dry) or if I'm in a smokey room for too long. Large amounts of wine also causes mine.

Are you able to go see another doctor to find out what is causing them. Sometimes we have to get a second, third, etc opinion to figure things out.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I also get migraines, but mine are related to a bleeding disorder that I have. So when mine start I know that my platelet counts are out of whack. Just a word of caution, some of the recommendations on here would tank my blood counts and make mine worse (but then again I can't even take aspirin so I'm a weird exception to most rules). If you haven't had blood tests done, it's a good place to start. Vitamin deficiencies can also cause migraines, so a full blood work up would pick up anything going on there. I hope you get some relief... they are not fun to deal with.
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My triggers are dark really expensive chocolate, sulphites (wine, beer, certain meds), and allergies. I am allergic to all "floral" scents. Whether it be a candle, real flowers, perfume, etc. If I smell one of these scents for more than a few seconds, the aura starts almost immediately and then the migraine and nausea and vomiting are close behind. Those caused by the smell take me the longest to recover from.
    I take allergy medication every single day whether I feel I need to or not, and that definitely helps.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    i have had migraines since I was about 4. lasting 2 days to 2 weeks.
    many things trigger mine.... stress, allergies, bright lights, weather changes, hormones, loud noisy places/people, this one guy with a high pitched laugh, rain.

sometimes they come out of nowhere , not sure the trigger.

I sometimes have symptoms 1-2 days before. vision problems, speech difficulty, irritability, "brain fuzz", dyslexia, extreme fatigue, "floaters" (little black specks floating in my vision), decreased blood pressure, and large pupils.

I tested chocolate, cheese, and wine- those don't seem to be trigger. BUT I am testing processed flour/rice/sugar. so far, I have had few headaches/migraines since eliminating those. but it's only been 3 weeks.

I have never had food cravings as an aura or prodrome. I have found that craving like that usually idicate the food is partial culprit. eliminate those foods totally for a month. see what happens.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have chronic migraine-- 15 or more migraine days per month. Mine are greatly influenced by hormones. My advice is to try to figure out what helps them and what triggers them. Keep a journal.

I get them when the barometric pressure changes or when I get dehydrated. If I'm going to walk the beach I know to wear sunglasses and to take a pill before I go. That saves me a lot of pain and suffering.

I've recently switched to low-dose birth control and I'm hoping that will help some as well. For others birth control helps. It's very much trial and error.

I'd also recommend seeing a neurologist if you aren't already.

Edit: I forgot to add that what helps mine is heat. A really hot bath or a heating pad on the back of my neck. Also a little dab of ice hot on the back of my neck helps sometimes.
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Chronic Migraine Syndrome when I was 14, and a year later I was hospitalized for about a week because they get to the point where I lose my vision, can't walk, and am practically a vegetable lying in bed. For a few years after my hospitalization, I would go to the doctor twice a day to get shots that relieved the pain. This was mostly during my early high school years. I am 22 now, and I still have frequent migraines, but the severe ones are few and far between.

I'm still not sure what causes them, and I've been poked, prodded, and scanned by so many doctors that it's frustrating. My dentist believed it could have been TMJ related, so I went through weekly jaw therapy for two years. It helped a bit, but not much. I've tried every prescription under the sun, and my migraines don't want to respond to any of them. Medicine just doesn't seem to have an answer for me. When I started changing my diet, I instantly started seeing changes.

First I eliminated soda (nearly 3 years now, and I haven't had a single drop!), and that greatly improved how I felt. Then I eliminated any white/fake grains (bleached, enriched, etc) and went to whole grains and wheat. This also helped a lot, but I still didn't feel great (this included other stomach problems I've had). Then my doctor suggested we look at my diet and try eliminating things one by one, and we might find another food that bothered me. And by golly, we did. The culprit was orange juice. I used to drink a gallon of orange juice every three to four days. My mother could hardly keep it in the house, but I didn't and don't drink milk so it was my main source of calcium. Little did I know that the high acidic levels were tearing my body apart.

Obviously, orange juice wasn't the only thing causing my migraines since I still have them, but today they're mostly caused by stress and my sleep disorder. I've kind of given up on finding a real answer, and take an Excedrin when the pain is too much.
  • carolep2407
    Options
    I can’t figure out what brings them on, but I have figured out that about one week prior to a migraine coming on I am irritable and I have no patience. Something else that I have figured out is I crave carbs, chocolate and sugar about one to two days prior and I just want to eat and eat.

I have suffered with migraines for years and you are right they only want to treat the problem not find the cause. I learned that mine were triggered by my hormones (Menstrual Migraines). I would have them typically around my time of the month when my hormones were all over the place. Since most of us crave carbs, chocolate, sugar and want to eat and eat when we begin pmsing maybe yours is a hormone issue as well. i would suggest talking to your doctor about getting your hormones levels checked during a migraine and then again when you are not having one to see the changes. The only other thing I can add is that when I was eating lower carbs and sugars I didn't have them as often. Hope this helps lead you in the right direction. Migraines are horrible to deal with. Good luck!