Need breakfast ideas PLEASE

Options
let me start by saying, I usually have to leave the house between 3am-430ish, so I set my alarm 30 mins before I have to be on the road, so I need some suggestions on what is fast and easy to eat on the run while driving? I drive an hour to work. typically I have a couple pieces of toast with pbJ, but some days (specially in the winter time) I just plain don't have the time to put the bread in the toaster and all, I know that sounds dumb but its true, would like something filling but not out of this world in cals LOL, ANY suggestions will be appreciated, thanks

Replies

• Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    On mornings where I know I wont have a chance to sit down for breakfast (even toast) I depend on doing a little planning the night before. I got this idea from Alton Brown, the host of Good Eats. The night before I measure and toss my fresh or frozen smoothie ingredients in a blender (I use almond milk, frozen berries, banana) and put the entire container in the fridge. In the morning I just hook up the blender onto the stand, add some protein powder and I have breakfast in about 60 seconds.
  • mmfit4fun
    Options
    I make a batch of muffins to get me through the week. Really nice ones with frozen berries, rolled oats and yoghurt. Grab one as I'm racing out the door.
  • jenderby1
    jenderby1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make hard boiled eggs the night before and peel them and have a banana
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Batchi cook an egg casserole on Sunday and divide it into portions. I'ev never done this and frozen them, but I bet it would work. You could also batch cook, or cook the night before, some oatmeal and just reheat it in the micro. Make a PB&J sandwich, no toasted. make a turkey sandwich the night before. The smoothie idea is a good one, too.
  • mbelle97
    mbelle97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do a few different things and I usually eat once I get to work.
    Hard boiled eggs - I make ahead and leave in the fridge at work
    Protein shake - Protein powder/almond milk and fruit, I make the night before, and put in a togo cup. Just grab it on the way out.
    Wake up Wrap Dunkin Donuts - when i just ran out of time the night before, this has 210 cals
    Fruit - measured and washed and in tupperware

Hope this helps!
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    I also have busy mornings and I find that eggs and turkey bacon are both quick and a healthy choice, leaving me full for hours.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Leftovers from dinner.
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    On mornings where I know I wont have a chance to sit down for breakfast (even toast) I depend on doing a little planning the night before. I got this idea from Alton Brown, the host of Good Eats. The night before I measure and toss my fresh or frozen smoothie ingredients in a blender (I use almond milk, frozen berries, banana) and put the entire container in the fridge. In the morning I just hook up the blender onto the stand, add some protein powder and I have breakfast in about 60 seconds.

Yup. Sounds like this would be a great solution for you. A smoothie is easy to handle in a car, and prepping it the day before is no problem. Chuck in fruits for carbs, protein powder if more protein is necessary, you can make it milk-based for carbs AND protein, etc.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I make eggs in muffin tins and do up a dozen at a time. Lightly grease a muffin tin, add an egg and anything else you want (I do cheese and a bit of prosciutto), whisk the yolks and bake @350 for about 20 minutes. I package them in 2's and stick them in the frig. My on the go breakfast every morning is the 2 eggs (cold) and a yogurt.
  • angelh1908
    angelh1908 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I make eggs in muffin tins and do up a dozen at a time. Lightly grease a muffin tin, add an egg and anything else you want (I do cheese and a bit of prosciutto), whisk the yolks and bake @350 for about 20 minutes. I package them in 2's and stick them in the frig. My on the go breakfast every morning is the 2 eggs (cold) and a yogurt.

Awesome idea!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I make hard boiled eggs the night before and peel them and have a banana

I second this! This is what I do when I'm really low on time. I'll bring the banana with me in the car.
  • swishandflick
    Options
    My husband makes a week's worth of breakfast sandwiches on Sunday and freezes them to eat throughout the week.

Try the Arnold Sandwich Thins (100 cals) and a scrambled egg (70 cals) and a laughing cow wedge (35 cals), which I use as a substitute for butter in this context.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I have a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, some cottage cheese, protein shake mix and protein bars at work. I know i will never get up early enough to make something, and i don't really care to make it the night before. I spend 15 minutes of my morning makin myself some breakfast and call it good.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do steel cut oatmeal in the crockpot.

1 cup oats
    1 cup vanilla almond milk
    2 cups H2O

Then the depending on what I have in the pantry:
    2 tbl Brown Sugar
    vanilla bean
    cinnamon stick
    nutmeg
    Dehydrated strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, apples, cherries
    maple syrup

I leave it in the crock pot overnight and in the morning I have hot and delicious oatmeal that I add just a little more almond milk to and a little bit of protein powder.

I know it's not exactly something you can eat on the road, but It's super tasty, and you might be able to work it in to your schedule since most of the work is done the night before. We do this at my house and I leave the crock pot on for my boyfriend who leaves the house after I do, so he deals with the leftovers (there usually are some, but we just store them in yogurt containers in the fridge and I'll reheat as needed. The left overs are usually gone within a day.)
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have for breakfast every day:

2 cups milk
    1/2 c quick-cooking oats
    2 scoops whey protein powder (again, you can use any protein powder that you like that tastes good with the milk & starch that you use)

All put into in a blender in that order and mixed for a while.

Optional: 1/2 banana or some strawberries or other fruits or even some juice

Variations:

I use unsweetened chocolate almond milk but you can use ANY milk that you like -- cow, soy, oat, rice, etc.

Instead of oats you can qunioa flakes or rice n shine cereal or cream of wheat or cream of buckwheat cereal. You can use a sweet potato or pumpkin, if you do try adding some pumpkin pie spice too.

I use All One vitamin powder so I don't have to take pills, it's all in my shake in one cup that I can take with me.

You can put all the ingredients in the blender the night before, blend them, and stick the blender cup in the fridge. Then in the morning you get it out, reblend it for a few seconds, pour it in your to-go cup, and take it with you.

Good luck!
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    A smoothie with loads of protein and good fats. You could portion out what you want to add to it the night before and just chuck it all in the blender and run out the door.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Two eggs cooked on a skillet with spray olive oil, then put them on a slice of whole wheat organic bread. My breakfast every weekday morning. It gives good amount of protein to start the day off right.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Hmmm--- This is what I usually do..it takes about 3 minutes.....Some might hate it but it works for me....I take egg whites, put them in the microwave for 55 seconds, toast a slice of multi-grain bread, one slice of cheese and ketchup. After egg whites are done in the microwave i put them on the bread with cheese and ketchup and out the door....
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I also measure out all my smoothie stuff in advance.

My smoothies are usually:
    1/2 c frozen blueberries
    3 whole frozen strawberries
    1/4 c spinach
    1/5 container of silken tofu
    3/4 - 1 c 1% milk
    vanilla protein powder

I keep the frozen stuff frozen but measure it out into small baggies. The milk/tofu I just put in small ball jars and then when I'm ready for a smoothie I just need to scoop the protein powder and grab some spinach and blend.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    This is probably not has fast as you are needing but on those days when you have a bit of time for the pbj thing you could try scrambled eggs in a cup. Mine today had asparagus and cheese with bacon. Two minutes to microwave and then the cup and fork go out the door to be eaten in the car. Or put it bettween a muffin or bagel thin. I have heard of the egg in muffin tins and am thinking of doing that myself too becuase I have days where there the egg cups are too much time. Most of the egg cassarole breakfast recipes don't appeal to me but I know several paleo/cross fit people who do that