When do you record new weight?

Options
When you first see that number on the scale?

Or when you hover around that number for a number of days? How many days?

Since water weight fluctuations can be as high as several pounds, how do you know?

Replies

• hikr00
    hikr00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I record every Friday's weight, first # that comes up when I step on the scale is the one. I do WI daily and keep track of it on an app on my phone just for my own personal info but the only one that "counts" and gets entered here is the Friday morning one.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in once a week. I record whatever the scale says on that morning.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I weigh in on Thursdays (I dont know why I just like that day) and record that number.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Wednesday morning after I wake up. Same scale, same time, keep everything as close as possible to stay consistent and see most accurate results.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and have another app I plug that number into so that I can have multiple data points to watch trends, but my official weigh in is Friday AM, and that's the one I log on MFP. I pay much more attention to my long term trends though...not so much what my number is on a particular day.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I geek out on my data, BIG TIME.

I weigh myself every day, sometimes twice a day. I record every bit of data on a spreadsheet that calculates my average calories in as well as 10 and 20 day moving averages of calories in.

I record my weight on MFP about once a week to not tax my amazing support system here. I love praising my friends and seeing their praise. I don't want people to fell like they have to buck me up if I have gained or encourage me when I've only lost a tiny amount. And, when you weight every day, those are the only two things that happen.

When I do log on MFP, I usually only record the second lowest number, though. I toss out the lowest number.
  • mistressfaye
    mistressfaye Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but I only record my Saturday morning weight
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I record once a week, Thursday or Friday morning depending on when I remember to weigh myself. I don't weigh at all the few days before or during TOM since I know the "added weight" disappears once TOM is over.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I record whatever number is on the scale on Tuesday mornings regardless of what it is. Some people will only record a loss however personally I don't see the point as weight loss is not linear and tracking the ups and downs help. I never understood why people will only record losses as it's not a true view of your progress.
  • leahstaeb
    leahstaeb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week--same day, around the same time: Sundays around 7:00 AM. That's the weight I enter to this site.
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who only records when it changes? I weigh myself every day, and then record a new weight if I've been the same for a few days (usually three, but it's an imprecise method).

Taking some time away from the scale this month, though.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I record right after I stop jumping up and down and squealing.
  • Mindochka
    Mindochka Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I record when I feel like it is a realistic representation of my weight. So, if I weigh right after a long (dehydrating) run or after a major sodium intake (retaining water),etc, I don't log that weight. I also don't usually log right before or during TOM because that is just mentally defeating. Weight fluctuates tremendously so I am just looking for the general trend. I usually weigh first thing in the morning. But I will admit, even if I don't log the weight, it is still exciting to see some numbers on the scale that I haven't seen in years!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and only log it (here) when I first see a new low. I plug everything into a spreadsheet on excel including average weekly calories, weight, measurements, and "cycle" information.

I like plugging in new lows because I can see an overall downward trend (yay) and I can go into my MFP app and look at average calories for the week and more detailed information such as macro breakdown and daily fluctuations.

Good times. This way I can see time between losses as well etc... Like if every 4 days I lose for 3 days in a row, I know not to get discouraged during those 4 days because I'm about to hit a nice little loss cluster. This is what works the best for me.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I don't record until I lose. I find it discouraging otherwise. If my last weigh-in is, say, 136lbs, and I hover it around it, I won't record until I am 135lbs. I don't care if it takes a month... and sometimes it does.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    3 times consecutively.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    When I hit a new low. Otherwise I get discouraged.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I record either when I’ve hit a new low OR if I’ve remained at the same weight for 3 days. So if I’ve lost a lb, I will always log it. If I gained 2 lbs from my last check in, I will only log it if I remain at that 2lb increase for at least 3 days. Because then, sadly, I know it’s “real”.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once per week...Friday morning. I enter that weight each week. When I weighed daily I got too discouraged by not seeing the scale move. Weekly has been best for me.
  • Dartgal73
    Dartgal73 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm new on here, but I traditionally only weigh myself once a week, usually for me on Saturday mornings before I eat any breakfast. I noticed if I did it daily, I would lose motivation because it would change from day to day depending on what I've eaten.