Overwhelmed

Options
Hello!

Has anyone felt overwhelmed by MFP... Like you're not doing enough? seeing everyones calorie burns and just becoming depressed because you're having a hard time reaching your goals? Hoping I'm not alone here :/

Replies

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I feel like that sometimes. No one says anything to make me feel that way but yeah, I see what people burn and what they eat, and how quickly they're losing, and I get irritated with myself. BUT I try to remind myself that everyone is different and their situations are different, and I shouldn't try to compare myself to them. I do try to motivate myself by telling myself that if they can do it, I can...but I try not to beat myself up if I'm not quite there.

Btw, you lost over 200lbs?! Congrats! That is absolutely phenomenal! Looks to me like you must be doing quite a lot to have such great success :smile:
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Girl, you have lost the weight of 2 skinny people off your own body!! How can you feel like that's "not doing enough"? :( be proud of where you are and what you've accomplished-- not everyone will succeed as well as you have so far, and you're not done yet! Looking at your "Before" and "After" pics was very inspiring to me. It's true that sometimes looking at other successful people makes you feel insignificant by comparison, but don't feel like you always have to be better. You're doing fine!
  • nlsthompson
    nlsthompson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes. I get overwhelmed with many things in life and feel like a failure, usually in the afternoon about 3pm and then I want to start eating all the wrong things, and a lot of it. We want great health to be a destination, like a vacation where we lay on the beach and soak up the sun for a whole week, all expenses paid. But think about how long it took you to save and plan for that week on the beach. Creating a healthy lifestyle is like working all year or half a year for a one week vacation at your favorite spot. It's a choice too. You can chose to eat crap and gain weight and feel awful or, you can chose to eat healthy, exercise a little and feel great. The days when you are feeling overwhelmed, exercise lightly, add in just a little guilty pleasure food but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Then when you wake up the next day start again, plan your meals, plan your exercise, be realistic and keep it fun.

Congratulations on losing a whole person 207lbs? That is amazing. If you can do that, you can do anything.
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I definetly feel overwhelmed in the "how many claories to eat, getting more protein, ignore the scale yadda yadda ect..eat more of this.
    I figure Everything I do is worth a shot for at least a month. If its not working try something new. Im working out and eating healthy, doing the best I can while maintaining a happy life and positive attitude!

just take a step back. Theres no competition, the only one that matters is you. what makes you feel good and happy.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple, make a plan, take notes. Let other people's successes motivate you, but it's not about them - you have to do what's right for you and stick to YOUR plan, not worry about what everyone else is doing.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens daily. You are very young, and have come so very far.
    Keep it up! You won't be sorry that you did!
    You can be sure that you are inspiring many people here.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple, make a plan, take notes. Let other people's successes motivate you, but it's not about them - you have to do what's right for you and stick to YOUR plan, not worry about what everyone else is doing.

There's a reason why I lubs ya! I agree with Aurie. I was feeling that way last night that despite weighing and portioning keeping my meal below 16ounces I still wasnt doing enough. Just keep doing what youre doing.
  • briannakaechele
    Options
    Under settings you can turn some notifications off. Might not be a bad idea while you get in a routine that you are comfortable with. Then try turning a few of them back on!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Please tell me this thread is a joke... You are probably in the top 1% (guessing here) of people on MFP who have lost over 200lbs.. I mean, I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen with a ticker showing a 200+lb loss... And you did it WITHOUT GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY, after a DOCTOR told you it was hopeless?

SERIOUSLY, would you kindly give your head a shake a realize how awesome that is? How awesome you are? You should be far from overwhelmed! You should be overjoyed!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Please tell me this thread is a joke... You are probably in the top 1% (guessing here) of people on MFP who have lost over 200lbs.. I mean, I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen with a ticker showing a 200+lb loss... And you did it WITHOUT GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY, after a DOCTOR told you it was hopeless?

SERIOUSLY, would you kindly give your head a shake a realize how awesome that is? How awesome you are? You should be far from overwhelmed! You should be overjoyed!

.... Holy cow. I can't believe I missed that!

WHAT HE SAID x10000000. Congratulations!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • _Tanna_
    _Tanna_ Posts: 20 Member
    Options

LOL no joke just get stressed when I thought I had a hold on this and I hit a place where in the last 3 + months ive been stuck and I have the worst motivation when it comes to excercise...

BTW THANK YOU ALL YOUR KIND WORDS HAVE BEEN A BIG HELP! I'M GOING TO QUIT POUTING AND PURSUE THIS NO MATTER WHAT I WILL NOT LET MY FEARS AND ANXIETIES DETERMINE MY FUTURE!
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm overwhelmed that you've lost over 200 lbs!! Awesome job, and very motivating for me - I can do it too :)
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options

.... Holy cow. I can't believe I missed that!

WHAT HE SAID x10000000. Congratulations!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Yeah x5000000000000000000000000000

you have come so far...YTouve done so well.. and this is forever, You've got this girl. dont even worry!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Has anyone felt overwhelmed by MFP... Like you're not doing enough? seeing everyones calorie burns and just becoming depressed because you're having a hard time reaching your goals? Hoping I'm not alone here :/

No.

This may sound really cold, and while I want my friends - everyone, really - to do well, I am mostly concerned with ME. I am concerned with MY numbers. Someone else does great? Great! This isn't a competition - at least not really. The only person I am competing with is myself - I want to do better than yesterday.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Please; Keep your eyes and mind on your own goals. Don't compare your workouts to anyone else's. Only work toward your own improvement and You are a success. Not everyone's body is capable of huge feats of a physical nature. We all do what we can. Slow and steady...you got it woman...you are totally amazing.
  • _Tanna_
    Options
    Thank you! I took a small break and went over my goals and im back to and ready to battle the bulge lol have a great Monday everyone :)
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah? What's the plan?
  • _Tanna_
    Options
    Oh yeah? What's the plan?

Just make sure no matter what I get in a 30 minute workout. Cutting out over processed foods like lunch meats, pepperoni, summer sausage and snacking in general. No more pop! I cut out pop once before and just recently started going back to it like crazy diet mt dew is my downfall love the stuff!
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Im going to come back tomorrow and see if you did it.