STRUGGLING

Options
This is about the 20th time I am starting again. I can not seem to get motivated. Its something I want more than anything else yet I last about 2-3 days then give up. I hate being such a failure!! And even worse, I had lost 106 lbs about 6 years ago and have gained every single ounce back. I feel so ashamed. And so defeated!

Replies

• betsyserna
    betsyserna Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh Im feeling the exact same way!!! Especially today :( Idk what it is. I just feel TIRED! I hate that I start doing good for a few days. Then come Thurs-Sun and I just blow all the work I did and just don't do anything and make bad eating choices. Im really beating myself up today for that. Im always "restarting" and its just becoming a bad habit. I want to lose about 120lbs and just thinking of all the hard work and that big number just lowers my self esteem and energy levels. Ugh. Im hoping I reach the AHA moment soon and just finally stick with it. I really want it badly. But getting there is a bigger challenge than I expected =/
  • LisasRoadtolosing100lbs
    Options
    Weight Loss is 100% mental. You have to be ready for it. YOu are your own worst enemy. First Stop callling yourself a failure. Your body listens to everything your head says. Second remember why you started. If your eating things your know your should consider getting moving doing anything thats away from that food. If 20 minutes later you still want it, allow yourself some a small piece and water.

I promise it will get easier you will win and be proud of yourself.
  • LisasRoadtolosing100lbs
    Options
    I started at 243 pounds. I never looked at the whole weight loss at once. I still dont thats way to scary. 10 pounds at a time. I feel 10 pounds is a number i can handle and a number that I can achieve which helps keep me moving forward.
  • Shannshops
    Shannshops Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your success. You can do it if you really put your mind to it. I have the same issues. I go back and forth between this and weight watchers. I actually focused and lost weight on a previous diet but I gained it back as well.. I really need to be motivated. That is why this time, I requested friends on here because i think if i see other people succeeding it will give me the motivation and make me want to succeed. we need to take one day at a time. I have to lose around 70 lbs, and I think the number iswhat overwhelms me. I really want to do this, so hopefully it works this time. I realized i need to do this when I didnt even have the energy to play with my 2 year old the other day. he wanted me to be a frog and I couldnt even get on the ground lol..
  • RaeAnnasmom
    Options
    I could have totally written this post!! I am starting over myself after having lost over 90 pounds. I had my daughter 2 years ago (3/28) and I gained 35 pounds with her. By the time I went for my six week check up, I had lost that weight !! I was feeling great and motivated! Now, 45 pounds have crept up , seemingly over night!! I am motivated though... I WANT to lose and keep it off.. No tricks or gimmicks. I'm Just going to track my food, eat healthy and exercise. I'm so busy with my daughter and just life in general but if I don't take care of myself now, I won't be here to take care of my baby!!! Moving forward!!!!
  • fatpanda96
    Options
    I have the same problem, I've lost 50 pounds almost two times before and gained all of it back and then some. I really hope you feel motivated enough to ride it out this time and lose all that weight. I've just started again too and the only thing that really keeps me motivated is that I really don't want to give up AGAIN and have to eventually start over once more. Good luck to you!!!
  • ixoxoluv
    ixoxoluv Posts: 1
    Options
    I completely agree. I'm at one of those stages in which I just want to sit and watch movies and eat away. Finding motivation has been difficult and I've gained 10 pounds in about a month. I need motivation, and reading these posts helps me. I'm so used to calling myself a failure, when really, I need to tell myself I'm a winner. I can get out of this. I can succeed. No. I WILL succeed!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I lost more than 100 lbs – I was motivated, inspired, had support. I planned meals meticulously and hit the gym hard 5 days a week. Then everything changed for me. It is easy to blame a change in my circumstances (I lost my job, which also cost me my support system and my discounted gym membership). But, if I am honest with myself, those are just excuses. I was burnt out and I got lazy. I gained some of the weight back - close to 30 lbs - and have struggled weekly to get back on track and stay there. I am trying to, instead of focus on the negative, set myself some short term goals and focus on those. It seems to make it easier to think "this is what I have to go between now and March 30" than "this is what I have to do forever." I don't know if that's helpful for others.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    It is all a mental thing, VERY tough at times. You have to stop having the negative attitude is the first step. Don't call yourself a failure, when you are leaning on a tough decision on what to eat, use this little saying "I can have it but I don't want it" instead of "I can't have it but I want it." Doing this really changed my outlook on things. Just work on small goals at a time, 10 maybe 15 lbs. And every goal, just think, you use to carry around a whole extra bowling ball. Think or your positive progress as you make it and that will help to keep you motivated towards your long term goals.
  • pamelalk
    pamelalk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Guys i believe that most of us have been their, losing weight is soo hard and truly is a mind set. I lost 60 pounds two years ago and managed to keep it off, now i have gained 10 pounds back and am having such trouble trying to keep it off or even maintain, i am so worried that i am gonna gain it all back. I feel tired and lazy and have very little motivation. and I am above all sooo Lazy, i always have good intentions but i seem to wake up tired. and end up sitting on the computer instead of going for a walk. i don't know the answer wish i did, people who know the secret please share
  • dazzo62
    dazzo62 Posts: 78
    Options
    I would love to be your friend . Do not be ashamed or beat yourself up. Overeating happens for a lot of different reasons - we are sad,angry, mad, bored, lonely, happy, partying, it tastes too good, etc.

Think of it this way - you have made the decision to come back and that is fantastic. There is a huge community here of support.

You will have great days, not-so-great days and a few rotten days along your journey - the important thing is- if you really are ready and have a desire to commit - you will do it!

Many of us have lost a lot of weight and kept it off and have lots of helpful ideas for you.
  • lozla86
    lozla86 Posts: 77
    Options
    i know excatly how you feel, i have been on and off for about a year now, i have to lose like 80lbs and its so hard! but please feel free to add me to help and support. Together we can do this x
  • cherakee68
    Options
    I'm with you Ladies! I'm starting back up today and one way or another I need to do this. I hate feeling this way about myself and I deserve better and so does my wonderful husband. We have been married two years together for almost five. He's never seen me totally naked. Not from his lack of trying but I use to be so active. Now I'm so opposite but want to get there badly. Anyone who is interested is welcome to friend me on here and I can use any help I can to get myself motivated and do this!
  • TracyFalk69
    TracyFalk69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad ifferbeki, we've all been there. I only recently became motivated again in January and found that small goals are helping me stay focused. My goal is to lose 5 pounds a month for a total of 45 by September to be ready to take my 4 year old to Disney World for the first time (and be able to keep up with her). Anything over that is bonus!! Just keep tracking, even if you go over your calorie goal (and maybe adjust it to a higher number at first so you won't feel so defeated). I am also looking for more support friends so please feel free to friend me too!!
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    Sorry you're feeling down. I would tell myself every Sunday morning, this is my week to start. I'd do great for 2-3 days then want to swim in a pool of icecream and would then go downhill from there. This went on for months, every week, same thing.

I was totally capable and able, but I kept mentally stopping myself. So, if you can get past that mental hump, you can keep going! Good luck!
  • chinapainterlkb
    Options
    5 minutes at a time-- I have over 100 to lose and am starting again after 10 days off for a business trip.........just work on today's numbers....... I am headed back to the indoor pool today................turning 50 on Friday.................so off I go................come on.....turn on "happy music" get moving, even if it is only marching in place and swinging your arms........no sitting during tv commercials helps too!.
  • 19Sakura76
    19Sakura76 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know how u feel, I have started over so many times. I do good for a couple of days then I pig out. im looking for friends that will support each other.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am not a very organized or motivated person. I just commit each day and try to be kind to myself....... not beat myself up the days I skip my exercises

I only have to do my food today and if i get in my exercise, good.

I think this winter is really getting me down.... am so sick of snow and the cold. I need to learn to embrace winter. Maybe this year will be the year I say yes to fun outdoors in the cold, but for now its so not happening. I do have a goal of running a 5k with a friend in June so off i go downstairs to exercise with the TV........ boring but I do feel good after I have done it.

Just commit to 1 day at a time. If I look at omg, I have only lost 25 in 6 mo. and have at least 60 to go its negative and defeating. I focus on today I am being healthy for me, so I can garden effortlessly and do this race which I have never done before! Haven't run more than 3 miles in decades, but if not now, when?

So its a day at a time for me and its working. Only 1 day since starting in Sept I didn't log my food. And spring is coming. really..... someday!
  • cynfy16
    cynfy16 Posts: 35
    Options
    Losing weight is frustrating no matter what size you are. And I agree with everyone who says it is ALL mental, you decide everyday how you want to work towards your goal. Is today going to be a day where you slack off a litte or is today you go all out and stick to your guns? Either way every day is a challenge but also another step forward!! Weight loss is time consuming, which sucks for everybody but after a while you'll notice little differences and it will be a lot easier to get motivated. Try and always stay positive also I have found that writing/responding to the forums is great motivation as well. It makes me realize how important my own goals are to me and why I want to accomplish them, especially on the days where I just want to sit in front of the tv and eat ice cream haha But good luck and don't give up!!!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am going to approach you a different way. I am guessing that you have posted something similar to this in the past and these are the same answers you got before.....so maybe something new....

You have to want this. You have to want it more than anything else you have ever wanted in your life. If not, then you will fail....-again-. When you wake up, the first thing you have to want is a healthier you. The last thing you think about when you go to sleep at night has to be a healthier you. If those aren't the first and last thoughts in your mind, then you will fail. If all you do is make excuses for yourself instead of getting out and going for a 30 minute walk a day, then you will fail.

But, if you are willing to sacrifice that cupcake, or that mid-day soap opera, so that the healthier, skinnier you can shine...then you will succeed. If you are willing to wake-up an hour earlier so you can get in that 30 minute bike ride at the gym, then you will succeed.