Slim Fast

Options
I have been hearing quite a few people lately trying this out, and having pretty good results. But you can't drink shakes forever.. what happens when you switch back to "normal" food? Don't you just gain it all back, like Atkins?

Replies

• xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Stuff like this doesn't give you all the nutrients you need like fresh veggies & fruit & stuff. I gained it all back when I stopped these little smoothies and I was always always hungry. Eating healthy is a much better option. I'm never hungry and I'm losing like crazy. Good luck!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing quite a few people lately trying this out, and having pretty good results. But you can't drink shakes forever.. what happens when you switch back to "normal" food? Don't you just gain it all back, like Atkins?

Please do not compare Atkins to a Slim Fast Diet, there is NO Comparison. Atkins is not intended to go off plan. There is a reason you start with Induction (Phase 1) and end in Maintenance (Phase 4). That is a Lifestyle change, not a diet.

Anywho, I don't recommend sugary, processed Slim Fast shakes. You will be much better off eating whole foods or making your own protein shakes.
  • ShastaAngel
    Options
    I tried Slim Fast for about a week. It did not curb my hunger at all, but maybe that is just me.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what I thought.

I definitely wasn't comparing them, just meant IF you go off plan. I did try it, and it wasn't the right choice for me personally. I gained it all back very quickly.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what I thought.

I definitely wasn't comparing them, just meant IF you go off plan. I did try it, and it wasn't the right choice for me personally. I gained it all back very quickly.

Well, I look at it like this...........

Atkins, slim fast, low fat / low calorie plans...........All of them are plans. A commitment to that plan. If you go off a low fat / low calorie plan you will gain the weight back.

In order to lose weight and keep it off entails making a commitment to yourself and whatever plan you choose. When you make that commitment, then it becomes a lifestyle change and it is easy for you. That is irregardless of the plan that is chosen.

That is why it is important to choose a plan you can stick with for life.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Most of the women and myself on my page came from slimfast. There is one lady on my page that has lost over 130pds using slimfast but she has learned to eat with out the cans and she hasn't put back on any weight she is faithful to her loss. I was one of the people who lost and gained it all back and then some. I believe it's like everything else a matter of staying focus. You don't gain the weight back bc you go off something a pd is a pd. It's a matter of you staying focus and intune with you. There is also quite a few of the ladies who are struggling with there weight bc they didn't learn to eat with out the sf. It's about being intune with your mind and body.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    Im currently on slim fast week 7. To me every diet requires you to learn more about food in order to keep weight off.
    Before starting slim fast id lost 31lbs so had learnt alot about food, how to stay at my current weights.
    Slim fast works well for me & my lifestyle. Ive had days off the plan & coped perfectly fine, eating right & sensible.
    All in all ive changed bad habits for better ones, like i say slim fast fits perfectly into my day to day life.
  • Doctorcb
    Doctorcb Posts: 31
    Options
    You ladies should check out "Shakeology" from Beachbody.
    I do this daily as a meal replacement. It has every nutrient you can imagine and it does curb your appetite.

Look at my site www.completeshake.com

You will not regret trying it. It also has money back guarantee

Look at my food logs and see that I use it nearly daily. It blows slim fast out of the water.
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Im currently on slim fast week 7. To me every diet requires you to learn more about food in order to keep weight off.
    Before starting slim fast id lost 31lbs so had learnt alot about food, how to stay at my current weights.
    Slim fast works well for me & my lifestyle. Ive had days off the plan & coped perfectly fine, eating right & sensible.
    All in all ive changed bad habits for better ones, like i say slim fast fits perfectly into my day to day life.

Same .. only this is about Week 5 for me!
    It's different for everyone.
    This is a learning process.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The biggest shortcoming, IMO to Slimfast, is the low amount of protein per shake -10 mg. Even the optima version has significant sugar. I have found a better shake--more protein (30 grams, vs. the 10 that is in a SlimFast) and 1 gram of sugar, vs. 17 in Slimfast. The calories are 160 for my shake, vs. about 190 for SlimFast.

The shake I refer to is a Premier Protein Shake, available in an 18 ct box at Costco, for $23.49 in my area. I have only tried the chcolate flavor, but the flavor is just fine, to me. One of these and a banana, or an apple, or something else with a little fiber in it, and you are good to go for quite a while. If you are prone to the hungries when you don't have enough fat in the morning--since the Premier only has 2 gram--you could add a piece of string cheese or a laughing cow wedge.

As for Shakeololgy, the one time I checked them out, the pricing was prohibitive.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Whenever I drink slim fast I usually drink it and eat a piece of fresh fruit. I think as long as you eat healthy whenever you get off the shakes and exercise I think that it will be fine.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The biggest shortcoming, IMO to Slimfast, is the low amount of protein per shake -10 mg. Even the optima version has significant sugar. I have found a better shake--more protein (30 grams, vs. the 10 that is in a SlimFast) and 1 gram of sugar, vs. 17 in Slimfast. The calories are 160 for my shake, vs. about 190 for SlimFast.

The shake I refer to is a Premier Protein Shake, available in an 18 ct box at Costco, for $23.49 in my area. I have only tried the chcolate flavor, but the flavor is just fine, to me. One of these and a banana, or an apple, or something else with a little fiber in it, and you are good to go for quite a while. If you are prone to the hungries when you don't have enough fat in the morning--since the Premier only has 2 gram--you could add a piece of string cheese or a laughing cow wedge.

As for Shakeololgy, the one time I checked them out, the pricing was prohibitive.

OOOOh I LOVE the premiere Shakes too! They taste so delish! Have a ton of protein, low cal and low sugar!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I would think it wouldn't work in the long run. After you stop using the slimfast, then its right back to normal routine since you haven't really incorporated healthy foods into your diet making a lifestyle change. I've had friends who have done different diets like that, and once they finished, they went back to the old ways of eating and started gaining weight back.
  • metalpalace
    metalpalace Posts: 576
    Options
    Slim fast is the most un healthy - health shake on the market that I know of. It's bad enough they contain artificial ingredients, low nutrient density, poor nutrient partitioning.. But they also contain trans fats. That's pretty outrageous to have to have trans fats in a health shake. I wrote a facebook note on Slim fast once just because I get asked all the time about slim fast. It's a very biased article but VERY well founded. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=113401408692776
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Personally I like slim fast and drink it occasionally when I want a fast meal as I am short on time. I even like the taste. And slim fast is what helped me lose my first 59 pounds because it helped me stay motivated. By starting on that and learning about nutrition almost everyone of my meals is fresh and natural now. So personal I say Thanks Slim Fast. You helped me get here today.
  • metalpalace
    metalpalace Posts: 576
    Options
    Personally I like slim fast and drink it occasionally when I want a fast meal as I am short on time. I even like the taste. And slim fast is what helped me lose my first 59 pounds because it helped me stay motivated. By starting on that and learning about nutrition almost everyone of my meals is fresh and natural now. So personal I say Thanks Slim Fast. You helped me get here today.

Slimfast didnt help you get healthy it was other things you were doing. Slim fast made it a slower process. Slim fast has trans fats in it.
  • resinite
    resinite Posts: 14
    Options
    In my case, I get a chocolate sugar craving in the late afternoon, and I've discovered a slim fast shake will satisfy the urge so I don't cave into a 1200 calorie hunk of chocolate cake from Safeway's bakery.