Sugar????

HELP!!! How do you realistically only eat 28 grams of sugar per day? I have cut back on my sugar intake but still cannot manage to only eat 28 grams (the recommended amount from MFP)

Replies

• nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    "How do you realistically only eat 28 grams of sugar per day?"

You would have to eat no processed sugar and severely restrict your intake of fresh fruit. Or you can do what I do and ignore that recommendation.

I just put sugar on the things I track if you want to look at what the sugar intake is for somebody who pretty much only eats fruit, veg and meat, at 1100 calories a day. I double 28g sometimes.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Two servings of fruit a day and no other sources of sugar (and half a banana counts as one serving, fyi). I try to follow this, but I'm usually over on sugar most days. I think as long as it's coming from natural sources and you're not wayyy over every single day (and you're not diabetic), then I wouldn't worry too much. That's just my unprofessional opinion.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    I don't track sugar like MFP does because my goal is to keep my blood sugar (bg) level. If you track your net carbs (carbs-fiber) and you're coming in at 75g or less per day, and 25g or less at each meal/snack, then you're golden. The trick is to maintain a steady, healthy bg level so that you're not over producing insulin. If you find yourself craving carb rich foods, that's the insulin talking and your bg is too high.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Ive seen it commented on quite a few occasions the you dont cont the surgar in fruits or veggies. Only consider added or refinded sugar. Unless you have medical issues.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    I don't track sugar on my log. I have at least 3 servings of fruit every day so there is no way I would ever be under it.
    If you track your net carbs (carbs-fiber) and you're coming in at 75g or less per day, and 25g or less at each meal/snack, then you're golden.
    Yikes, I could never do that either! I tried for a few days to keep my carbs low (just to see if I could) and it just didn't work for me. I'm always netting over 100, if not way over 100.
  • lunaleah
    lunaleah Posts: 18 Member
    I ignore it as well. I was trying to limit my sugar, but I never really eat much processed sugar and I realized it was causing me to cut out fruit. Sometimes I still freak out when I see those red numbers though

27210094.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    I don't track sugar on my log. I have at least 3 servings of fruit every day so there is no way I would ever be under it.
    If you track your net carbs (carbs-fiber) and you're coming in at 75g or less per day, and 25g or less at each meal/snack, then you're golden.
    Yikes, I could never do that either! I tried for a few days to keep my carbs low (just to see if I could) and it just didn't work for me. I'm always netting over 100, if not way over 100.

Your own tipping point for carbs may be different. The point is if you find yourself craving carbs and sugar, your blood sugar is too high and your pancreas is over producing insulin. Considering how very active and fit you are, caseythirteen, I'm not a bit surprised that 75g net is too low for you. You're body is metabolizing the carbs immediately rather than storing them.
  • Thanks, this is helpful and makes me feel better. Most of my suger in a day comes from fruit.