Hate Working Out - What Got You Started?

Options

Replies

• pamelalk
    pamelalk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i could have written your post, really trying to get motivated, but sometimes the most obvious is the answer, when i first lost my weight i did something i liked the wii fit!! it broke and now i keep trying to do other things i just don't like 30 ds, walking in the cold etc. time to look into getting my wii fit fixed lol. thanks for posting and thanks for the suggestions
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I tricked myself into it when I was 17. ;) I began taking a martial arts class for self defense purposes... and discovered they're TONS of fun, and one heck of a great workout! I get all tired and sweaty and sore, but I'm having so much fun that I don't care! When you can kick your way through three pine boards, it's no longer about the exercise - it's about feeling like a bada**! lol It gets me out of the house and into a class 2-3 times a week, and I can't wait until my next one. :)

Find something you love to do, like dancing or fighting or skiing or WHATEVER! It won't feel like a chore, and you'll be getting the workout you want/need.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I really don't like it much either. I got started going on walks. Just out the front door and walk. I thrive on routines, so I walk every morning and I've gradually increased the time, distance and speed, and now I've increased the intervals and usually go twice or more. It helps to have a pup who motivates me to get out in the morning and take him on the adventure.

When I started, I used the Wii fit a lot. I have a 1/2 hour routine I do on it. I still use it once in a while, and I got some more games for it, like Zumba, which is sort of fun once in a while. Once I got a bit fitter, I started using my elliptical machine. I like having it at home and it has a holder for a magazine or laptop, so I watch episodes of The Biggest Loser and it keeps me going. I am up to 45 minutes now.

I used to wait until later in the day to do the elliptical, but now I shoot for the morning and get it over with. I like this better, because it's not weighing on my mind all day and I feel good about myself that I did it already. It's also opening the door to trying other things later in the day, like stretching or maybe someday strength training.

It was really hard to get started, and I'm not going to say I really like it, but I tolerate it and I really like the results and the way I feel.

There has been a lot of great advice on this thread. I'm sure you'll come up with something that will work for you!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Responded to your thread in General Weightloss and Nutrition, but see you have it here too, so here's my response from the other thread:
    All I can suggest is find something you LIKE.

I'm the same way, I'll work out for a while, get bored and stop. About 12 years ago I decided I wanted to learn how to run. Planned to walk and jog everyday after work because it sounded like something good to do to start, went by a park on my way home... lasted a month before I got bored, and it wasn't with the workout, it was with the park. Stopped working out all together.
    Ten years ago saw a class called Bellydance Bootycamp... said what the heck... took the classes til my schedule changed and couldn't go anymore, talked to the instructor, she said that if I really wanted to learn, I should go to this studio (she gave me the name of the studio where she learned) fastforward 10 years, I dance professionally now and still love it.
    Tried a gym, loved the classes til they got too packed, quit going....

About 4 years ago I tried a kickboxing class, loved it, had to quit due to injuring my ankle (could no longer do impact kickboxing)... gave in a year ago joined a gym... discovered Les Mills Combat (no physical impact).... still going strong after a year, even followed the instructor to a new gym.

So again, try out a bunch of things, look for unusually named classes that make you go "Hmmm that sounds interest," if you like to walk/jog/run, pick out a bunch of places that you can do that, it may not be because you're bored with the activity, but that you need a change of scenery. I'm back to walking/jogging two to three days a week, but now I have two places I go to (one is out of my way) that way it keeps it interesting.

Good luck!
  • debbieled32
    Options
    working out can suck at times. my motivation: i tell myself to stop being lazy, stop finding excusses and just get off my butt and go
    either workout dvds, hiking, or running or going on a walk. have to be in the mood but i have my 4 chooses and go from there.
    also what motivates me is food and wine
    the better i eat in the day and the more i work out i get to treat myself with the food or wine that i love.
    i know it sounds funny but it works
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Try a few things until you find something you enjoy ... for me its running, but I've also found that I love CrossFit, yoga, spinning and boxing.
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I used to hate working out aswell. But I knew that the fastest way and for me to look the best I could (end results) that would involve weight training along with cardio. Not going to lie at first I worked out at home weather it be a video, biking or walking. I was embarassed to go to the gym (sad I know) now 8 months later I work out 6 days a week at the gym. I get up at 4:30 am because then I don't have anytime to make up exuses not to go. I find it alot harder to find motiation to go if I don't do it first thing in the morning. It also sets my mind and attitude in the right direction of eating healthy the rest of the day (okay most days it does) haha. But like a lot of people said, find something that you enjoy. For me I hate cardio, it is so boring so when I am really dreading doing it I do 10 minutes cardio, weights, 10 min cardio, weights and the 20 minutes cardio. After you do something for awhile, make sure you change it up. Don't let your body get used to the same old thing. Now I can honestly say, I love working out, I miss it when I don't go for a day. But those feelings did not happen over night. haha Good luck girl
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've always been an active person - my parents had me involved in different activities: ballet, gymnastics, swimming .... I played sports as a kid. I've never liked being sedentary. And I always took being skinny for granted. Then about 10 years ago I went swimsuit shopping - saw the "naked truth" in a threeway mirror in the dressing room - and put the bathing suits down and bought a pair of running shoes instead. I hated running at first - and then hate turned to love. And I think being active leads to being more active .... about 4 years ago I decided I wanted to do more than just run, so I joined the gym, signed up for a boot camp class. Now I'm at the gym 3 or 4 days a week lifting weights, doing spin, yoga. I like feeling strong and in shape. I like the changes I've seen in my body over the years.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have always hated working out. I was a competitive athlete from the age of 8 so I never had to worry about "workouts," I was always active. But things have changed.

Like everyone else, it's about discovering what you like. I decided to try yoga to help with my anxiety and I picked a studio based on the fact it was on the same road I live on. Turns out it was Bikram in 110F. For someone who has always hated sweating, not a good idea. But I had paid for 50 classes and it turns out I loved it.

I don't like doing workout videos at all but I continue to try them. The only one I've stuck with is Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack.

Other than that it's about finding ways to sneak in exercise. I play Just Dance on the Wii with my kids for an hour. Whenever I walk somewhere I go the "long way." The mall is right across the street from me but I walk around the street to the other side and enter there. My husband and I are going to start going to the roller skating rink. Doing all these things and staying active mean when I throw in an actual workout, I don't feel so bored. If I went to the gym every day, I'd be bored very quick.
  • valerieottaviano
    valerieottaviano Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You just be safe in that park ok? I just got a little worried when you said on the way home & trails! Sorry mother Henning-ing you!!!
    I think some people get to love exercise & some (me) do it , especially since I have more time now. But it's been since 12/30 , do I like it any better , sorry , not so much... But I like the results so I'm sucking it up! That's the fun in all the MFP friends , encouragement from all kinds of folks!!!!! & no haters allowed !!!! Have a great day!!!
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan of exercise before either but it's kind of my getaway during the day now. I bring my music and tune everything else in the world out for 45 minutes and just make it me time. The key is finding things you like to do though, I got all excited about the 30DS when I first started MFP and realized two weeks in that I hated doing the same exact thing for 10 straight days and ended up dreading it.

Just try some things out and you'll learn soon enough what your likes/dislikes are. Good luck! :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The desire to no longer be an out of shape fat-*kitten* took first priority in my life. I did what i had to do. Try a variety of things. You will probably find something you are excited about doing and improving in.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I got started working out at a competition. Supposedly, whoever "won" (not just weight loss, overall health) after 8 weeks won $500. Really though, you had to pay $500 to do it - so you were just getting your money back.

That motivated me to win - I didn't want to lose that money. So those 8 weeks, man, I worked my butt off. After that, I was in the habit of working out so I just kept going.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    For me, the difficult part is getting there. I go right after work; I change at the gym and won't allow myself to go home first. Maybe you can change at work and just stop at the park and do your walking. I find once I'm there and really into my workout, I don't want to stop. Every once in a while, I just can't get into it or I don't seem to find the energy even once I'm going; when that happens, I do a light workout and go home, and figure it's probably my body telling me I need some rest.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    Find a workout that you will have fun with...I started out with zumba and now am addicted to turbofire...These two workouts have amazing quick results and makes me feel all happy and pumped up in the end...Just find something you enjoy and you'l find working out fun :)
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't work out. If I had to motivate myself to go to the gym or something, I'd never move at all. I don't believe in exercise for its own sake, bores me to tears.

That said, I burn several thousand calories a week leading an active, outdoor lifestyle. Having an outdoorsy job helps, but I walk over 10km per day and bike over 125km per month (doing errands, meeting friends, etc.) Can you commute to work on a bike? Do your shopping on foot? As long as there's a safe place to ride, don't be daunted by distances - I can get to work 20km away in under an hour.

Also, find a fun activity and a group to do it in, and you'll be that much more motivated - and accountable! I have a horse on loan and I'm out there 3-4 days per week either riding or doing ground work, and I do HEMA (historic European martial arts) every week, which is a great workout! Hiking is much more enjoyable in groups, too - we go out approximately once a month for a 20-60 km hike.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    1. Look at before and after photos in weightloss.

2. Buy new gym clothes. Get rid of the mind set that you'll buy new when you're smaller- look cute now. It will motivate you to go vs. feeling sluggish in old and big work out clothes.

3. Walk the mall at lunch. Looking around at the stores and being a temperature controlled climate helps.

4. Carry shoes, socks, shirt, sports bra, and pants in a bag. You never know when the mood to be active will strike and you'll be prepared.

5. Work out before you go home. If you go home first, you'll find other things to do and a million excuses to get back out again.

7. If you prefer the mornings, lay your clothes out the night before so you don't lose time.

8. Walking is excellent and under rated exercise. If you have dogs, take them with you. Seeing something slobber, turn in circles, and prance about walking almost makes me excited about it too.

9. If you're a woman, carry tampons in your car or emergency work out bag so that not having one is an excuse to not work out.

10. Think of how far you've come and how sexy you'll look come summer compared to last year.

Also, save this post in your favorites to read when you don't feel like workin; out :)

You can do this!
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is just getting up and going to the gym. Once you get there, just get it done. After a couple weeks of working out a lot, I actually want to go. But if you don't have a gym, do workout videos on youtube or dvds! I find it hard to make myself work out when the couch is right behind me looking inviting though, so I like the gym.
  • sailorsgirl86
    Options
    Jillian Michaels & Davina McCall's DVDs were what I started with, however running was what made me keep it up. Endorphins are the best.
    You don't NEED to exercise to lose weight but I promise your body looks a hell of a lot better if you do.