Will this work?

After months of constant cardio and trying to lose weight, I've realized, with the help of you guys, that I need to build muscle and lose fat. So, I have a workout bench now which includes a barbell and leg raiser weight thing. I'm hopeless at lifting because I'm so weak, but I'm trying my hardest. I'm going to do this for at least 30 minutes interval days and 30DS the other days. I will also try do cardio at the gym for about an hour, including the couch to 5k.

Baffled on what to set my calorie intake to. I currently have it on 1/2 a pound weight loss a week, which gives me 1410 calories. With my exercise calories, I don't always eat that amount. I'm sometimes 200 or 400 calories under. If I don't exercise, I can easily eat 1410 calories. I'm too scared to make it any higher though because I was previously on 1200, but I upped it and now I've gained weight. But I think it's the right amount as my BMR is 1300 and something.

Will this help me tone up and build muscle and lose fat?
I'm 5ft 3in and 112lbs.

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    To be honest I don't think you need to lose any weight on those stats.

What you probably DO need to do is to build muscle. The problem will be that as you build muscle you may find yourself putting on a little bit of weight, so the very first thing you need to do is take some measurements and throw away the scale. From now on measurements will tell you how you are doing, plus the fact that you will find yourself fitter and fitter and able to lift more.

If you have a barbell, look into a lifting programme such as starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. For now you may want to focus on strength rather than cardio. An hour will be too long on cardio for what you want to achieve. C25k will be fine as it is only around 20 mins to start.

Do a little bit of cardio (8-10 mins) to warm-up and then do strength.

Don't be surprised if you find you need to eat more - protein after lifting will help build muscles. Remember, don't look at the scale, look at the tape measure.

Good luck.
  • Thank you very much! I will take measurements ASAP, thank you!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    If you want to build muscle you need to consume enough protein, lift heavy weights and eat at a slight surplus of calories. Eating at a deficit will make you lose muscle.

Switch up what you are doing. Eat more and lift heavy weights. Don't get on the scale and instead go by measurements instead. When you build muscle your weight will increase. More muscle normally equals a lower body fat %.
  • Thank you for your answer, it really helps!