what would someone who work outs 6 days a week

Options
for 30 minuets a day be considered. sedentary, lightly active or active. the reason I am asking is because I went to fat2fitradio to calculate my proper calories according to my goal weight. they want you to eat like a thin person. for a sedentary person for my goal weight its 1,312 for lightly active its 1,503, for moderately active its 1,694. very active is 1,885 calories.

I know that I am not very active but I don't think I would be sedentary but I would like to know what constitutes each one.

Replies

• ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I consider myself lightly active. I'm a chemist and spend about equal parts of my day walking around a lab and sitting in my office doing paperwork. I would say sedentary is a desk job with little to no movement required (answering phones, emails, etc.). Lightly active would be someone like a nurse (or myself) who spends equal time sitting and moving around. I would consider an active person to be a mail person or delivery person as they're loading/unloading and carrying things around most of the time. And I guess I'm not sure what I would consider very active... maybe a personal trainer? Lol. Hope this helps you a bit.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different so I would just pick one and do it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I would probably choose lightly active if I were you, not sedentary. I use their calculator too and I think I fall somewhere between lightly and moderately active. I get some activity everyday ranging from 20 minutes on a light day to over an hour of more intense workouts on a heavy day.

Just pick one and stick with it for a few weeks and see if it is working for you or if you are too hungry (maybe you need to increase your level). If you are losing at the one pound pr so a week rate then you are probably at the right place. You can experiement with eating a bit more or a bit less and see how you do with those but remember to eat at least your bmr and not less.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It gives a description beside each one of what it means.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for your help. I am trying to learn what is right for me and haven't found it yet. I will try the lightly active.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You can also average lightly active and moderately active. That is what I did.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    for 30 minuets a day be considered. sedentary, lightly active or active. the reason I am asking is because I went to fat2fitradio to calculate my proper calories according to my goal weight. they want you to eat like a thin person. for a sedentary person for my goal weight its 1,312 for lightly active its 1,503, for moderately active its 1,694. very active is 1,885 calories.

I know that I am not very active but I don't think I would be sedentary but I would like to know what constitutes each one.

i have a desk job so i consider myself sedentary. i work out 5-6 days a week. i run 15-18 miles a week and strength train 1 day week.
  • willwashkuhn
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's referring to your daily level of activity WITHOUT exercise. For instance, I put down sedentary because I sit at a computer for my job, despite the fact that I work out for 45+ minutes a day. It calculates how much you should eat before any exercise, then if you burn calories exercising you can eat that many more that day. Remember, you're not going to reach your goal if you give yourself extra calorie allowances every day, so if you're choosing lightly active to be able to eat more you're cheating yourself. You can still do this no matter what you choose! Just be sure to recognize that the more active you say you are, the easier the dieting part will be for you.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's referring to your daily level of activity WITHOUT exercise. For instance, I put down sedentary because I sit at a computer for my job, despite the fact that I work out for 45+ minutes a day. It calculates how much you should eat before any exercise, then if you burn calories exercising you can eat that many more that day. Remember, you're not going to reach your goal if you give yourself extra calorie allowances every day, so if you're choosing lightly active to be able to eat more you're cheating yourself. You can still do this no matter what you choose! Just be sure to recognize that the more active you say you are, the easier the dieting part will be for you.

This makes sense : ) Thank you!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Two different calculators. The OP is referring to the TDEE calculator @ Fat2Fit Radio...you are referencing MFP's calculator.

OP...also keep in mind that Fat2Fit's approach is a little different. Essentially, the calorie goal they give you is what your maintenance level of calories will be when you reach your goal weight. I've known a few people who've done this with great success, but it is really slow...less than 1/2 Lb per week. You just need to be aware of that and not expect to sale the scale change much in the short run. A buddy of mine did this a couple of years ago and I think he was losing in the neighborhood of 1/2 - 1 Lb per month or so. He only had some cosmetic weight to lose, so it didn't really bother him...but it took him something like 6 months to lose about 5 Lbs.

I'm an advocate of slow and healthy weight loss, but for many, this approach is agonizingly slow. Just want to make usre you're getting what you think you're getting with Fat2Fit Radio.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Two different calculators. The OP is referring to the TDEE calculator @ Fat2Fit Radio...you are referencing MFP's calculator.

OP...also keep in mind that Fat2Fit's approach is a little different. Essentially, the calorie goal they give you is what your maintenance level of calories will be when you reach your goal weight. I've known a few people who've done this with great success, but it is really slow...less than 1/2 Lb per week. You just need to be aware of that and not expect to sale the scale change much in the short run. A buddy of mine did this a couple of years ago and I think he was losing in the neighborhood of 1/2 - 1 Lb per month or so. He only had some cosmetic weight to lose, so it didn't really bother him...but it took him something like 6 months to lose about 5 Lbs.

I'm an advocate of slow and healthy weight loss, but for many, this approach is agonizingly slow. Just want to make usre you're getting what you think you're getting with Fat2Fit Radio.
    This is a very good point. If you choose lightly active or active through fat2fit you should stick to their calorie recommendation and not eat your exercise calories back like MFP says to do. If you use the MFP method then you probably want to choose sedentary and eat your exercise calories back.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yah I was a little confused by this. I'm trying to do TDEE-20%... I have as sedentary desk job but I work out 5-6 days a week for 50-120 minutes so I put myself as moderately active... Was this wrong?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Maybe lightly active.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yah I was a little confused by this. I'm trying to do TDEE-20%... I have as sedentary desk job but I work out 5-6 days a week for 50-120 minutes so I put myself as moderately active... Was this wrong?

It's all a bit of trial and error...my guess is you're probably somewhere between light active and moderate considering you otherwise have a sedentary desk job. A lot is also going to depend on your workout intensity, etc...not just time. There are so many variables it is impossible for any calculator to give you an exact number. It's meant to be a reasonable starting point...your own progress should dictate whatever adjustments and tweaking need to be made.