Hate Working Out - What Got You Started?

Options
124»

Replies

• krstngrrtt
    krstngrrtt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love your calendar idea..I'm totally doing that!
  • krstngrrtt
    krstngrrtt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i hate working out too. the only thing ive found to get my *kitten* up off the couch and to do something is a print a blank calendar every month with the days on it. when i workout for 20 min (at least , and its usually more cause once you start its easy to keep going, but starting is the ****ty part, for sure) then i put a red mark on that day. its sounds weird and elementary - but give yourself a star or something everyday you work out for 20 minutes...... after about a week of working out, when you start seeing lots of little stars or red dots on your calendar - and that is what motivates me when i don't get up. im like, "crap i don't have any red dots on the last 3 days - i need more red dots on my calender....." and strangely enough - its enough for me to go workout. i do jillian 30 day shred as well, but it does get boring after a while....try switching the levels if you are too bored.... maybe just vow to do the video 1-2 times a week and see if you can put a couple red dots on your calendar and alternate with yoga and running when its warmer..... that may be all you need to get you re-motivated......ive done it for a month and its pretty cool to look back and see "oh of the last 31 days, ive worked out 18 of them......" .....so it feels good knowing and SEEING ive actually maintained a every other day workout schedule on average....... try little incentives like that - say, if you do it well for a whole month, then treat yourself to a haircut or a facial or something. reward yourself with little things because the weight won't happen overnight. but the best advice i can give to someone that hates working out - just like me - is the nike slogan "JUST DO IT" ....... seriously, at some point you we all get fed up with ourselves, and just do it..........

I love your calendar idea..I'm totally doing that!
  • Chrisgrz
    Chrisgrz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Time to instagram that whole park girl, you got a smartphone now!
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Find out why you hate something & be specific.

I hated getting hot - I felt like I was being smothered - so now I turn the fans on and it's better.

I also need either great music or a good TV show to take my mind off how bad my shins hurt, my lungs hurt, I have to clean the house, etc.

I also feel like a piece of poop wearing some clothes, so I bought some cute stuff that look good & I feel good wearing them.

I also reward myself in someway that is not related to food.

Try a bunch of different things - kettle bells, ropes, weightlifting, tabata, jump rope.....never do the same things in a row?

I don't know....I might sound like I know what i"m talking about, but I don't.....just trying to help. :flowerforyou:
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I cannot wait to get to the treadmill at lunch today. I'm watching the season finale of Breaking Bad.

Truly, that's how my cardio workout sessions have become my favourite times of the day. I've downloaded Season Two of Game of Thrones (which I've watched before, but ...) onto my iPhone and I only allow myself to watch my favourite tv shows when I'm at the gym on the machines.

I do this as a motivator as well. Certain shows I'm only "allowed" to watch on the treadmill or bike. Same with reading books. I will say, though, that I've done much better with the Couch to 5K program and DVDs because I think I need the definitive end of the workout as something I look forward to. I've heard Zumba is really fun, and that will probably be my next purchase.
  • 1GeorgiaPeach
    Options
    Do zumba its so much fun and you never feel like you are working out if u don't wanna go to a class you can get the zumda game or just look it up on youtube there are a lot of videos I would also say do things that are fun that don't really feel like working out like swimming (if its not cold out) or riding you're bike or roller skating that way you are having fun But getting a good sweat in and you're not bord
    Hope this helps and good luck :D
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've always hated just "working out" and sweating for no good purpose; my good resolve at "doing exercises" would often last only one day! When I got serious about losing weight 2 years ago, I started with walking, since it was February and a little rainy and cold for much else outside, AND, I was really out of shape. Once I had lost some weight and gotten a little more fit, I started in working on my large yard that I had somewhat neglected for a couple of years. That provided me with at least an hour a day of consistent exercise--mowing, trimming trees and hedges, hauling yard debris, pulling weeds, raking leaves, digging, etc. I could measure my exercise success in a filled yard-waste cart every week and a nicer looking yard. Now, I have a horse again, and I can easily spend 90 minutes to 3 hours every day, doing chores, mucking paddocks, grooming, and riding. The main thing was--the horse and the yard needed my attention daily and consistently, and it's something I enjoy, so it's much easier to get a regular amount of varied exercise.

So, go try out that walking trail in the park (if it's safe), measure it somehow (googlemaps?), and just stop and do it as often as it fits in your schedule. Challenge yourself to do the loop or trail in a progressively shorter time as you get more fit. The outdoor exercise in a pretty setting will do as much for your mind as for your body. Find another physical activity that you can do with others--try out a scheduled weekly class for a new exercise/sport skill to help find something you enjoy.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Key is forcing yourself to start. It helps if you can find something you enjoy. Hands down walking has always been my go to exercise. It also helps if you can find a buddy. That really kept me going when I otherwise would have given up! Exercise isnt necessary but it sure helps my attitude and mental health. You can do this!
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I thought I was alone in disliking exercise! I've tried Gilad videos years ago, my treadmill, walking the dogs, extreme gardening, etc etc etc. The only exercise I do like and that I don't think of as exercise is swimming/playing in the ocean. I always feel great but exhausted after a day in the water! But, living in the MidAtlantic area puts that out of the equation for 8 months of the year!
  • miamiink89
    miamiink89 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use fitnessblender.com and mix up my workouts so I don't get bored. Also they vary in length so you can start off at a shorter time and work your way up :)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I made myself do 30 minutes of something everyday. In the beginning, that was walking, and 30DS, which worked for me because it's SO SHORT! And I didn't have to leave the house, or stress about schedules.

The first two weeks sucked. Muscle soreness was awful, psyching myself up for it took a lot of work. After about a month I was hooked on the feeling of it - being energized, everything just working better.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Well...I found out if I exercise a little, I get a little more wiggle room with the calories. Also, All the skinny people out there don't seem to suffer the body aches and pains....or the depression that us overweight/obese people do. Instead of fighting it, I decided to listen to what they are saying. I started walking.....and you know something? The depression started to lift, the stress started to dissapate, the joints hurt a little less. I am by no means an exercise nut. If I get a 30 minute walk in 3 to 4 days a week I consider myself lucky. The tough part of exercising is just getting started. Once I get moving, I NEVER regret it.
  • Nekki1979
    Options
    I found an activity I enjoyed and for me that was spinning. I love the music and the personal challenge. You determine the difficulty and how hard you want to push yourself. You're also competing with yourself and subconsciously others in the class. And when the music is good its awesome to sing along and pass the time. You can also burn a whole lot of calories and strengthen your legs.