HELP

Options
Ive been on and off my fitness pal for months now...was doing really great...but now i am the heaviest ive ever been :/ i desperatley need motivation!

Replies

• lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Decide to make the lifestyle change. No more excuses, no more guilt, no more shame about bad choices. Just own your life. Decide you are worth it. NO one can motivate you to get healthy. You have to decide you are worth it and decide to change old habits. Losing weight is not hard or complicated. (if you have no health conditions that would make it so) It really is about owning yourself mind body and spirit.

I am a fairly out spoke person. I married the love of my life and have been married for 11 years, almost 12 years now. I have two beautiful children whom I adore, and life has been pretty great. I have been morbidly obese since I was 20. I didn't think I could change, didn't think I deserved to be thin, and I made every excuse up in the book as to why I was heavy.

I went back to college in 2010, and after I completed my AA, I enrolled in a bachelor program. I am an A student, something I never was in high school. I found some inner strength. This January my husband and I decided to stop making excuses and just get healthy. I started at 305.8 and this morning I weighed in at 280.8. 25 pounds lost in a little over a month and I didn't put a whole lot of effort into it.

I stopped eating junk every day for every meal. I log everything that goes in my mouth. I make more healthy choices everyday than I do unhealthy choices. I don't eat at fast food places, nor do i eat out very often. That's it. I eat what I like too! I am not forcing food that I hate. I did some research tried a lot of things and found some combinations of foods and herbs that I LOVE and that are healthy choices.

My advice is to start slow. I tell people I am a turtle on a mission. It doesn't matter how slow I am moving down the road, as long as I have forward progression.
  • smj60
    smj60 Posts: 18
    Options
    Wow...thanks for sharing that. Very inspirational. You should be so proud of yourself, so many peopke donthave the courage to not only do what you are doing but be conpletely honest about it. Admirable.
  • sejalnigam
    sejalnigam Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ive been on and off my fitness pal for months now...was doing really great...but now i am the heaviest ive ever been :/ i desperatley need motivation!

I am in same boat as you. Now, i have pulled up myself. carefully watching my calories and being consistent. Really looking forward to look at my results at end of the month.

Need lot of motivation and inspiration!!!
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Actually, pretty much what LightDiva said. For me, it was studying my Graduate Diploma in 2010. How I ever finished that, it was a miracle when I was working part time in evenings, studying full time and I had 1 year old twins at home with me as well as two older kids at school. By the time my Grad Dip was finished in mid 2011 I realised I could take on the world, and that gave me the drive to tackle my weight.

If you want to do it, you will find a way. The science behind weight loss isn't hard really, it's just getting your head into that space where you can actually tackle it. It's amazing how hard the 'doing' can be.
  • dyetrent
    dyetrent Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and not sure where to start on this website.
    I know that I am very over weight but need inspiration. I know I drink too much alcohol and eat my tea/dinner at a late hour but just can't change that routine.
    My short story to date is:
    All was going very well until I badly broke my ankle and it took much longer to heal than was expected, all I did was sit/lay around feeling depressed. Then a year later had a heart attack and had a quadruple bypass which left me more depressed although I have tried to make the best of my life. But it is hard to know that I can't live the life that I had before.
  • kimmyrn42
    kimmyrn42 Posts: 30
    Options
    Welcome and good luck...feel free to add me.
  • kimmyrn42
    kimmyrn42 Posts: 30
    Options
    Welcome and good luck...feel free to add me.
  • deanna348
    deanna348 Posts: 15
    Options
    same boat..feel free to add me
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    deytrent,

The first step to tackling losing weight is to realize your life is going to change. Track everything you put in your mouth. I mean everything. Don't lie to yourself, it doesn't hurt anyone but yourself.

Set reasonable goals. I decided to get healthy, and I knew I had 160 some odd pounds to lose and that number was very scary. It seemed so far out of reach. So I decided to look at this journey differently. I set small goals, first I decided to cut out all soda. I knew that was something I could do. (For you it may be something different. The point is to pick something that you do that is unhealthy for you and stop doing it. Something you know in your heart will be easy for you to do.) I then gave up junk food and set a goal for learning to cook healthier foods. I learned to cook a new recipe every week. Nothing hard, simple things that sounded good to me.

In just doing that I lost 16.6 pounds, went down a size in pants and 2 sizes in shirts. (holy cow I did the happy dance and that really sparked wanting to do just as well the next month)

I don't look at the goal of losing 160 pounds. I look at losing any amount of weight every week. 1 pound loss in a week and I celebrate, anything over that is just a bonus. I have been working on resolving my issues with food as well. I used to eat when bored, upset, to celebrate, and so on. I decided to change one of those things to something else. Now when bored, I log on these forums and try to be helpful to others, read posts to help motivate me and so on. February came and went and I am 11 pounds lighter. 27 pounds gone and it took very little effort.

Exercising is my next goal to tackle. I hate it, and it hurts, and sucks. But I don't want to lose all the weight and be "skinny fat." So, I take it one day at a time. I park further away from where ever I am going. I dance around and try to do my husband's workouts with him. I can't really do his work out yet, but I can march and shake my butt and that is moving!

My point is to not get overwhelmed. Looking a the big picture helps, but don't focus on it. Focus on what you can do right now this second.