About to start working out at a gym! Need Advice Please??!

Options
Okay so recently i have started the 30 day shred and Ripped in 30 every day and i have lost considerable inches(my weight has fluctuated but im trying to put that out of my mine ;)). So anyway, my husband told me that we can get gym memberships through his work so we are about to take a stab at the gym life! My question is what kind of routine should i start with to lose maximum fat% and inches? I like the treadmill,elliptical, and stairstepper for cardio but i also love the weights because i am addicted to the soreness afterwards! I have about 15lbs to lose until im at my goal weight of 145 and i would love to be at this weight before May. So any sugestions as to what i should start with? How long? How many reps, what weights? Any little tidbit of advice would help :) Thanks to everyone in advance!

Replies

• Kbriner0223
    Options
    Oh and i love doing videos at home so any video suggestions that have given good results would also be appreciated!
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hey! Your best bet is to do intervals; an example would be: you could do 30 second full speed on the ellipitcal, 30 seconds slow, 1 minute full speed, one minute slow, 2 minutes full speed, 2 minutes slow, 3 minutes full speed, 3 minutes slow and then 4 minutes full speed, 4 minutes slow and reverse; 3, 2, 1, 30! Your best method is this you can do it on the treadmill, eliptical, row machine; it creates a sike it metabloism that last after a workout:) Plus lifting weights helps tone :)
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    As far as videos you should add some pilates into the mix :) Does the gym offer any kind of classes? Mix it up to keep it fun :)
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Wow, it seems like you're very excited! Good for you!

It might take a little trial and error to find out what works best for you. For a while I was doing one muscle group using weights/machines a day and doing short bursts of cardio. I recently switched to alternating full-body strength days and pure cardio days, and that seems to work better for me. There's no one-size program yknow!

To lose maximum fat % and inches you should be doing both cardio and strength throughout the week. Definitely do intervals in your cardio - another thing you'll have to figure out, I love 30:30s but some people find longer intervals better. Since you like three different methods of cardio I think you should use all three on different days when you go and work your body differently each time!

I'm sure other MFPers will have better advice than I will on strength training so you can wait for them haha. Good luck and have fun!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Good luck going to the gym! I love going. I personally haven't add circuit or anything. Some mornings I go in to do the Ellipticals for an hour, and some nights I do classes. Love the classes!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    If you have the chance, you can check out "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" it is very structured. I got it for new ideas to add to my workouts but it would definitely be great for someone new to lifting as well.
  • Kbriner0223
    Options
    *Jotting notes now ;)

Thank you everyone! I love the idea of intervals! I feel like im tricking my body(especially with the Jillian workouts) because it brings my heart rate up and down up and down! I definately think i will try to do set days, like just weights one day and then the next do just cardio. Yes i am excited! I havent used the gym in my whole loss i have had so it will be a new experience and i am hoping that it will produce mass results for these last few pounds. I will admit that i am a slave to the scale so seeing it jump down to 161 then up to 166 over the course of two days is a little disheartening but i am powering through with the hopes that it will just fall off eventually. Like i said(i measured this morning :)) I have lost a lot of inches in just the week or so i have been doing jillian so it is working but i feel like, since i have lost so much and i am at a lower weight that i need to add extra exercise to get my body into gear and shed these last few pounds and tone up! I want to wear a bikini so bad this summer!

And as far as classes, i am hoping that they do have a Zumba or Pilates class but if not i am planning on getting a couple more dvds so perhaps Pilates will be the next buy :)
  • Kbriner0223
    Options
    Oh and while i have a few people here giving advice :))...my legs are naturally muscular and i do like them some days. But i have noticed that since i have been strengthening and doing Jillian etc, there is a distinct 'line','shadow' of where my muscles are and where my fat bulges/touches on my legs. I wish i could describe it better, its like the whole outter part is muscle and the inside is fat-lined, the inside is toned as well but the fat is just sitting there, distorting it!!

Also my lower belly(yes i know!) is not wanting to budge, i still have a lower pooch that rolls when i sit :/ any ideas or suggestions that might help? Do you think this will all fall off eventually?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    If you have the chance, you can check out "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" it is very structured. I got it for new ideas to add to my workouts but it would definitely be great for someone new to lifting as well.

Agreed.

I would also say see if they offer a free one time training session when you join. That way you can have a trainer show you the weights or machines and give you an idea what to do and how to do it properly.

Also try the classes and keep in mind that if you tried and hated Zumba with one instructor, the one that teaches on a different day might be the best ever. If you try a class and don't like it, don't write it off completely since it might just be the instructor.

Have fun at your new gym!