Hal Higdon 1/2 Marathon intermediate plan.

Options
Anyone else out their training for half marathon with intermediate Hal Higdon plan?
Curious how it is going for you. I just finished week one and so far so good...but it is early yet!

I picked this plan as it was 12 weeks, assumed some running base and included strength training and speed training without having an unbearable amount of mileage for a full time working person.

Brooklyn half marathon May 18th

Replies

• MLPC
    MLPC Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have my FIRST half scheduled August 24th. I have ran multiple 5K over the past few years. I am following his plan, but won't start it until May!
  • bagsrpacked
    Options
    I"ll be watching - this year I'm working on getting to 10 miles by October - but next year, I want to do 2 half marathons. Not sure if I'll ever want to do a full, but I never wanted to do a half before, either, so who knows.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It's a good program. I used it last year and actually exceeded my expectations for the 1/2 I ran in June. Biggest thing is don't miss the long runs. I did some minor adjusting to the shorter runs due to my work schedule but in general I really liked how it was set up and it worked for me.
  • xachooo
    xachooo Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks for responding! Some of my runner coworkers have also impressed on me the importance of the long runs as well. :D
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm not using this program, but I ran my first 1/2 last year and it was amazing! Congrats to you! Keep on scheulde and you should have a great run! One of the best things I've ever done! Looking forward to doing it again. :)
  • haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not doing the intermediate plan but am doing the HH 1/2 Marathon Novice 2 plan for my first half marathon which is also May 18th! I'm doing Novice 2 because I already also do 2 HIIT sessions with a trainer each week and 1-2 yoga/pilates sessions a week, and I was too lazy to try to line those workouts up with the intermediate plan. I'm in week 2 now and it is going well so far. I was only running 2-3 miles at a time a few times a week before. I did HH's 10K training plan before and was able to finish the 10Ks I entered. My goal for the half marathon is to finish without walking, but I'm not concerned with trying to beat a certain time or run particularly fast.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I used it for my half marathon last fall, and I'll be using it again as soon as I recover from knee surgery.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I used the novice plan last year and it worked like a charm! Did my first half and it was a lot easier than I expected (and when I started I was seriously doubting I'd even finish it without walking).
  • xachooo
    xachooo Posts: 42
    Options
    Well I ran it in 1:55. so I would say the plan worked!! (my goal was 2 hours, but predicted finish was 1:54-1:57 based on previous 10ks)