MFP alternatives

Options
124»

Replies

• BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to be making my own, whenever I find the time.

You can download the USDA data from their site. It has a ton more info, too.

I have a lot of good ideas, but whether my programming skill, free time, and procrastination will let me do it or not, that's the question. In the meantime, I'll keep scrolling to find the entries without the asterisks...
  • mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. OP is simply saying that he thinks the service could be better and he is even willing to pay for it! He isn't saying that this free service isn't good for the price, he's saying that he would be willing to pay actual $$$ for a better service. (For the record, so am I.) And he isn't just whining, he actually has some suggestions. Oh, sure, they're the same suggestions that have been thrown around since I got here years ago, but still, they're reasonable suggestions.

I guess I'm just saying that I think your dismissive tone is slightly misplaced here.

ETA: Oh, and while I suspect they still have the same kinds of problems there, I started at mynetdiary.com before moving to MFP (because MFP was the first service to introduce an iphone app). Perhaps they have everything sorted out over there now.

Thank you, and as you stated these are the same suggestions that have been thrown around for years. That should be a red flag right there. Makes you wonder if they'll ever be implemented or will we be discussing this in another post a few years from now? Just because something is free doesn't excuse it from an criticism, especially constructive criticism. Also, I suspect it isn't truly free, it is ad supported, in which case, you are actually the product. I'll check out mynetdiary.com, thanks again.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've just about had it with the cluttered mess that passes for a food database on MFP. Are any of you aware of a viable alternative? I'll even pay if the database is maintained and the site functions well. It's just getting to the point now where my primary consideration when planning meals is how much effort it will take to log it. I keep telling myself that it will get better but it doesn't look as though there is any active development of the site or improvements to the database. I've got a lot invested in this site but it is starting to become more of a hindrance than a help so I am shopping for an alternative.

Step 1: Quit whining
    Step 2: Use the 'recipes' tab to create meals ingredient by ingredient. Also use restaurant and government websites, and the packaging from your food to verify information. Don't eat at restaurants that you're not sure will have nutritional info available.
    Step 3: Use a food scale and measuring cups, and bookmark a good conversion site (I like this one: http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/tools.measures/Measures.cfm ) so that you can be exact with your portions and choose the right weights.

Every website database has its snags, no one is perfect. I'm not saying you shouldn't find one that works better for you, but I'm just saying it's not going to be a perfect magical solution. You'll run into obstacles whichever method you're using, because not everything will fit into an easy log.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    wow. I just logged onto sparkpeaple for the first time in ages and was instantly reminded why I stopped using it. No argument that MFP has its issues, especially with the data base. But compared to what else is out there, it's worth living with.
This discussion has been closed.