When should I start excercising?

Options
Ok so I'm sure this is a stupid question. Is it better to focus on weightloss first or start exercising right away? I have about 40-50 lbs I would like to lose. I am pretty active at work, but other than the occasional walk I don't do much exercise. If you think exercise is a non-negotiable what do you suggest? I would like to add, I really despise cardio because my heart rate gets really high really fast (190-205) with very little effort, and it causes my chest pain. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• JJMarzahl
    Options
    Hey add me and shoot me a message! I'd be happy to talk it over with you and come up with some answers!
  • katieexi3
    Options
    You should start out with a clean healthy diet! If you don't like cardio, you can walk or power walk on the treadmill and involve weights in your workout! It really does help burn the fat away and it doesn't make you bulky like you may think!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    First,I suggest you check with your Doctor if you get chest pains.

I started with walking and lost the first 30 pounds that way.But,for most people,you don't have to lose weight before you start exercising.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the Dr with chest pains! Let him/her tell you when to start exercising.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Exercise is important to me. It makes me feel better and I enjoy spending the hour or so 5 days a week on something for myself. In the past I was jogging/walking on the treadmill or doing the cross ramp. I hated every minute of it. I do enjoy Zumba and go twice a week. It is the only cardio exercise I enjoy. The best thing I have done is beginning a weight lifting program. Since January 1st I have been lifting weights two to three times a week. I feel amazing! I feel strong and my body is transforming. I'm not seeing a huge difference in scale weight but my measurements tell the story.

I like the way strength training makes me feel and I love the fun group participation of my Zumba class. You can lose weight without exercise but it is good for your body and will help you maintain the loss easier.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    The only way your heart (or any other muscle) is going to get stronger is by exercising it. You may not be able to run just yet, but don't let that stop you from crawling. (Not literally, obviously.) Start by walking to the end of your street. Next week, go around the block. Do *something* five days a week. It gets easier as you go, trust me.

I could walk for about 15-30 minutes in December. According to FitBit, I walked 11.4 kilometers today.

Start small, work up. But most important:

START NOW.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the Dr with chest pains! Let him/her tell you when to start exercising.

yeah, if you have legitimate chest pains when you exercise, go to the Dr. That's all you need to worry about at this point. You'll often see the "check with a doctor before starting an exercise regiment" listed on pretty much any equipment at a gym. Follow it. Go get checked out first.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I also agree with everyone saying to get a physical with your doctor before starting any exercise program.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    try walking. Simply going for a brisk walk is a great place to start with exercise. Take an ipod and listen to your fav music or podcasts.

Exercise isn't required for losing weight, but it will help with your shape, ie - you're more likely to like your body when the weight is off, if you start exercising now instead of waiting.

Also - you don't have to be a cardio queen to see a benefit. 30 minutes a day is great.

I would check with a doctor about that chest pain though - doesn't sound right.
  • tafournier
    tafournier Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Chest Pain!?!?......doctor visit first.....the sooner the better
  • anon189
    anon189 Posts: 42
    Options
    I 100% agree you should go get a physical and talk to your dr. They will be able to tell what's going on and if it is just something as simple as you need to exercise more or if it is something serious. Also they will ease you into a routine so you don't go to the gym and have a heart attack your first day!
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else here.... before you take on any exercise program, even walking, and you're having chest pains and a heart rate that high, absolutely, check with your doctor and get a check up. If you're good to go, he/she can give you the OK. It may be recommended that you do something supervised.
  • lilynblue
    lilynblue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. As far as seeing a doctor, don't worry I have. At first they thought it was asthma, which I do have, but inhalers weren't helping. Pulmonologist sent me to cardiologist, because he thought he "heard something funny" as I also have mitral valve prolapse, cardiologist dismissed the problem completely said to come back when I'm 50 :/. That said I still had this problem when going to the gym 5 days a week doing 30 minutes on the elliptical at a time, so I think it's more than just being out of shape. To the people who suggested weight lifting can you suggest any videos or resources for me to start with?
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Editing after reading your last post...

I hate that the cardiologist just sent you away. I had some problems when I was a teen and they did the same thing to me...

The only place you can start is where you are right now. Walking is a good place to start, and don't underestimate the benefits of walking. Also, some basic yoga is a good place to start.
  • jlorscheider
    Options
    My answer is when you're ready. You can lose weight without exercise but, the workouts will help tone you. It can be quite invigorating too. You dont have to do anything super hard to start with. Just walk or do yoga or something like that and build yourself up :) I hope that helps :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    That said I still had this problem when going to the gym 5 days a week doing 30 minutes on the elliptical at a time, so I think it's more than just being out of shape. To the people who suggested weight lifting can you suggest any videos or resources for me to start with?
    Honestly, stick to walking. If you're trying to go from 0 minutes on an elliptical / 0 days a week to 30 minutes/5 days... you may just be overdoing it.

Stick with the walking. If you wanna incorporate lifting, that's fine too.. I'm a proponent, but make sure the ticker is okay first. As far as resources:
    1. stronglifts 5x5
    2. New rules of lifting for women
    3. starting strength
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hey add me and shoot me a message! I'd be happy to talk it over with you and come up with some answers!

Really? Trust me, you should leave this alone. I am always worried when a 22 yr old male tries to lure an obviously too young girl into private conversation.
  • ndirish4life
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. As far as seeing a doctor, don't worry I have. At first they thought it was asthma, which I do have, but inhalers weren't helping. Pulmonologist sent me to cardiologist, because he thought he "heard something funny" as I also have mitral valve prolapse, cardiologist dismissed the problem completely said to come back when I'm 50 :/. That said I still had this problem when going to the gym 5 days a week doing 30 minutes on the elliptical at a time, so I think it's more than just being out of shape. To the people who suggested weight lifting can you suggest any videos or resources for me to start with?

Dismissed it completely? I think maybe a second opinion would be in order. Just to be on the safe side.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options

Dismissed it completely? I think maybe a second opinion would be in order. Just to be on the safe side.

I agree.You don't have to be 50 to have cardiac issues.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Yesteray is the best time to start. Seriously. /Find something you like to do and do it. It doesn't have to be jogging or going to the gym. ' Do you like to dance? Go on nature walks with a friend or your dog? Roller skating? I started walking before i started seriously paying attention to my food. I couldn't even walk around the block. Really. I just did what I could and tried to add to it bit by bit. It was difficult at first for sure. The more I lost and the more I moved, the easier and more enjoyable it became. Now, I love going hiking w/ my hubs and my dog. Snowshoeing and hiking. We even walk or bicycle to the grocery store when we can. I never evrer thought I would like it. Why would I walk somewhere when we had two perfectly good cars.

It doesn't matter how you start or what you do. Just start now and do something.