Replies

• Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Smeathers
    Smeathers Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Seems like you have good sources for protein. If you're falling short do to trying to get more fiber or other vitamins which take up caloric count for your protein sources...maybe try adding like quinoa or avocado to your diet. Only two I could think of off top of my head. Oh, brown rice is a good too. Hope this helps a little. :)
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    MFP says I should get 70g a day. I usually get around 40. I am indeed feeling physically ill for the past several months, but I doubt that has anything to do with my protein intake, or lack there of, because I've always had a really low intake. I am on iron supplements and my last blood panel showed that I'm at good levels with that. The only issue I'm having micro wise is with vitamin d. Apparently I had a very low level so they put me on a 50,000IU dose (once weekly) for the next 3 months.

Also, set my diary to open so y'all can see. I don't think you'll get much more by looking at the exact things I've been eating since it's what I mentioned here.

Maybe try changing your morning yogurt from 1/2 c to a full cup or try having 1/2 c of cottage cheese with your cracker chips.
  • MsJourno
    MsJourno Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump. Am trying to up my protein intake and some great tips here.
  • Beyond_Value
    Beyond_Value Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Here are some links http://www.ehow.com/about_5371388_high-protein-non-meat-foods.html#page=0 and http://www.livestrong.com/article/25759-foods-protein-other-meat/

From what I see they are saying the same things - here is a protein chart hope his helps.
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    seriously, greek yogurt.

the fage 0% little cup has like 18g of protein! that's more than some protein bars that are full of other crap!!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    So why don't you eat meat? Few things are as good as a really rare flatiron steak. Especially with a little Gormley's apple-hickory sauce. Or medium-rare lamb with Lebanese garlic sauce and almond rice. Paradise on a plate.

I don't eat meat because I can't stand the texture of most of it and the taste bothers me even more. It's not a moral thing, it's a preference.

Well, if it's just a preference thing then the easiest thing to suggest would be to just work on that. I hate vegetables but eat all my servings every day to meet my nutritional needs. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's what I had to do with veggies.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    chicken, beef, eggs, cottage cheese, yougurt, etc.
  • I real good whey protein drink will do the trick for you. Isopure and Muscle Milk are ones I've used. They mix real easy, taste good and are low in sugar and carbs (Isopure has a Zero Carb product). Also, if you eat chicken,you may want to try turkey chop meat browned and seasoned lightly with Success Boil In A Bag Brown Rice. 1 cup of each is filling, tasty and gives you good protein with a good complex carb....
    "Walk on." - Bruce Lee

Rick
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well, if it's just a preference thing then the easiest thing to suggest would be to just work on that. I hate vegetables but eat all my servings every day to meet my nutritional needs. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's what I had to do with veggies.

the taste and texture quite literally makes me ill.
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Options
    So why don't you eat meat? Few things are as good as a really rare flatiron steak. Especially with a little Gormley's apple-hickory sauce. Or medium-rare lamb with Lebanese garlic sauce and almond rice. Paradise on a plate.

Some people are just vegetarian for health or ethical reasons, sometimes both.

Some people just don't like meat. It's not a bad thing.

Try adding quinoa, it's high in protein also. I like it with a little butter and salt for breakfast :smile:
  • tanjelo210
    tanjelo210 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal is WAY low on the protein targets, especially if you work out and even more so if you lift any kind of weight. You should be getting at least 70 grams of protein in your diet a day most days... at 40 grams you are way too low. If you're concerned about your calories, try changing your greek yogurt to Dannon Light & Fit greek... it has been a godsend since I found it, 80 cals a cup but 12 grams of protein. Also try sting cheese, Met-Rx mini protein bars and prtein shakes.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

according to their math, I need 119g a day.... I usually get around 40... >.<
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I struggle to get enough protein and I do eat meat, so I definitely understand where you're coming from. I want to increase my protein but don't want to add much meat or a protein shake, so this is a great thread. I think I'm going to add in greek yogurt daily, cottage cheese, and eggs.

I changed my macros to increase protein and reduce carbs, we'll see how this goes! Carbs are my downfall but if I can successfully substitute protein rich foods and cut out some carb rich foods, I'll be in good shape.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,674 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about quinoa.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about quinoa.

I was going to say the same thing!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Jay robb protein powder... easy to mix, sweetened with stevia, tasty ...110 calories for 26 grams of whey protein isolate... it's a bit more expensive but I LOVE this stuff.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds are awesome and are a great alternative to chips. Not to mention they are low sodium even though they taste salty...9 grams of protein per serving

I LOVE "Life Choice" protein bars. They are sold at Walmart in the granola section. The double chocolate one has 21 grams of protein with only 190 calories, 120 grams of sodium, 8 grams of sugar, and only 16 grams of carbs. This is one of the best bars I have found for the macros and kind of tastes like your eating a candy bar...haha

I dont like hummus but a lot of people swear by it

Cheese sticks

I know a lot of people who make pancakes, ice cream and other sweets with whey powder

Soy milk, chocolate soy milk

I hope that helps
  • jennifer_255
    jennifer_255 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese is my biggest protein builder and i have a lot of it :) comes in yummy flavours too and low in fat x