women and their arms

Options
brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
have any of ya had any luck toning up your arms especially women 50 and over? Is there a certain diet or a certain way to use weights that you have done that have helped?

Replies

• nctgreene
    nctgreene Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I am 61 and have about 10 lbs more to lose and would love to see if I can tone my arms. I am doing some light weights but am looking to do more.

Nancy
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    48 female here. Profile pic is 2 months of lifting on a home universal gym. If you look at my food diary then scroll to the bottom, you can see my exercise diary. Look at yesterday.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Try wearing weighted gloves. I have gained a lot of definition in my arms just wearing them on walks and while doing cardio :) I have also noticed a lot of definition by using some Combat DVDs :)
  • acg_15
    acg_15 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try wearing arm slimmers I use then when I run
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    if you're talking about the under-the-arm flab that lingers around, it's the same as the flab around my gut...

there's no exercise or specific diet that will make it go away. just maintain a caloric deficit until it does. That's the only thing that can do it.

there's no spot reduction or targeting fat.
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    Try wearing arm slimmers I use then when I run

no such thing as spot reducing.

if you're talking about the under-the-arm flab that lingers around, it's the same as the flab around my gut...

there's no exercise or specific diet that will make it go away. just maintain a caloric deficit until it does. That's the only thing that can do it.

there's no spot reduction or targeting fat.

^^^ THIS!!!

You can lift and do workouts to help build the MUSCLE in your arms, but you can not make that fat go away in just that area, my arms are a huge problem for me, but the only way to get rid of the fat is to eat right and exercise!
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    have any of ya had any luck toning up your arms especially women 50 and over? Is there a certain diet or a certain way to use weights that you have done that have helped?

You need to induce myofibrillar hypertrophy and eat in a caloric deficit until it goes away. I'm just going to assume that you are referring to the flabby under arm area (where your tricep muscle is). I don't pretend to be an expert but when your weight starts drop so will your TOTAL body percentage. Remember you cannot spot reduce fat. While you're losing weight and dropping that fat now is the time to lift heavy. I know you're a woman but do not be afraid to lift some heavy weight you won't get bulky (you should be in a caloric deficit anyway, they only way you'd get bulky is if you were eating in a surplus and had tons of testosterone). When you lift heavy and do low reps you induce myfibrillar hypertropy which causes micro tears in your actually muscle fibers. You're actually breaking your muscles down. Then, once you heal your muscles grow back and become harder and stronger (toned if that's what you want to call it) and make up for what they were lacking during the last time you exercised. I really hope this help

Tricep Exercises;
    Skull Crushers
    French Press
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Bench Press
    Push ups
    Diamond Push ups
    Push ups on a medicine ball
    Tricep Press downs

You get the idea...
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    kettlebells!
    everyone comments on my arms now when I wear sleeveless shirts. Otherwise it's not noticeable since they didn't get bigger, just toned.