Early Birds - what inspires your morning workouts?

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't like people very much. so i like to get to the gym at about 6am, right when it opens. even better if i go with my lifting buddy.

nothing inspires me to do it. i don't need motivation to go out and do it. i'm past that. i've decided that exercising is going to be a part of my life.

i prepare. i have my alarm clock set for 5am, with eye of the tiger as the song. i allow myself to hit snooze ONCE. i have my coffee pot set to go off at that time too, so it's ready when i get up. i pour myself a cup of coffee and while i'm drinking it, i get dressed in the gym clothes i've laid out the night before. i grab the gym bag i packed the night before, and usually out the door by 5:45am. there is no scrambling around for items to bring, no wasting time looking for what to wear.

preparation is the key to success.

Did I write this? Except, I get up at 4:30 so I can wash my face and sit down while I drink the first half of my coffee.

i totally sit down to drink at least one full cup off coffee, and was my face an brush my teeth. no one needs to smell the combination morning/coffee breath.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm with those who know that if it doesn't get done early, it doesn't usually get done. And the feeling of regret at the end of the day for not having worked out finally outweighed the difficultly of getting up early and getting it done!

My alarm goes off at 4:45 and I am working out by 5am, done by 6. Get my kid off to school, and on with my day, knowing my workout is complete! :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    It's weird but during the week i have to be at work at 730 and have an hour long commute. But for me, getting up at 4 is not an option. I have tried, but even though i go to bed at 930 every night, my body can't handle it that early in the morning. So i go after work during the week and then i go at 730 every Saturday and Sunday.

sounds to me you'd rather stay up until 930pm than wake up at 4am to work out. not a problem at all.
  • Bubbl3s25
    Bubbl3s25 Posts: 210
    Options
    My daughter rows so I am up at 5am most mornings, making lunches and then off to the lake. You will then find me power walking around the lake by 5.30. Beautiful now, not so great in the winter.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Because morning time is my time. Once I get my workout done, nothing or no one can take it from me. Plus I don't want to shower again.
  • never124get
    never124get Posts: 163
    Options
    My work days are pretty abnormal compared to the 9am to 5pm Monday - Friday type gig. I work shifts, 5am to 5pm Thursday - Wednesday and then I'm off a week and then I do it all again a week later...working out on my week off is pretty normal, wake up whenever I feel like it, usually around 9am 9:30ish...and workout, no big deal. Well on the days I work I have to get up anywhere between 2am-2:30ish....sucks yes but once I'm up and I workout I feel good knowing that all I have to do is go home, eat dinner and maybe do some laundry and then go to bed around 8pm-8:30ish. I've run on little sleep all my life, I guess it's easier for me, when I tend to sleep a lot I get really tired. It's strange. But yeah, motivation is knowing that I don't have to worry about doing it later after work...that gets my butt up out of bed.
  • gabbygee1
    gabbygee1 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm two sided here. I like to do my workouts in the morning to get it over with but I also hate getting up early.
    I've been slowly waking up 10-15 minutes earlier each morning to get used to 1.) daylights savings yay and 2.) more time for morning workouts and waking up.

So what I do is split my workouts, my hardest is in the morning (strength, pilates, or a brief cardio on a stationary bike), and my easiest is in the evening when I get home (yoga, jogging, arm workouts).

I save my long run days for the weekends since after standing all day at work I am in no mood for hefty workouts.

This works for now. I would love to do a half hour run in the morning but that'll take some schedule tweaking...plus it's mighty cold out there right now!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I get up at 3:30AM, Im at the gym around 3:40 or 3:45AM. At first I was embarrased to go in the evening and have everyone pointing at the fat guy that could only do 10 minutes on the eliptical...but as I lost weight, I tried it in the afternoon, and I hated the crowds, So i went back to 330AM to have more machines to pick from, and frankly, on the days I lift weights, I feel more "awake' at work. I have to go that early because I have a long commute and have to leave my house at 6AM. On weekends Im probably in the gym around 6 or 7am
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Considering I have to be up at 5:00 to get to work by 7 there is NOTHING that could inspire me to workout in the morning before work. I am NOT getting up in the middle of the night to get a work out in. I do walk at lunch time and try to do kettlebell and/or ride my exercise bike at least 4-5 times a week. I also keep a 7 pound weight in my desk and do weight lifting with my arms a couple times a day.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    If I don't do my rowing BEFORE the toddler wakes up, I will be rowing with a 35 pound weight hanging off my back, asking me all manner of questions for 50 minutes... :/
  • brownmousemama
    brownmousemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well, I do my long workouts in the evening, but I do 15-20 minutes of yoga every morning before I go to work or school. It helps me wake up and be ready for the day, and starts my day off on a positive note. :) I work at 7:30am, so doing my long workouts in the morning just isn't possible. Though, I think I'm going to start doing my weekend workouts in the morning.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    In the early morning before the world wakes up, I do.

At 4 am, my alarm goes off, playing BEAST by Nico Vega... "We're all free in the land of America, we ain't goin down like this!! Cmon people!" and as Im answering math problems to turn it off, there is a message scrolling across the top - "Are you a liar or do you want this? You can have it. Go take it."

I have my clothes laid out from the night before, or I've slept in them. I take my time going over my homework again - checking all my gym notes and making sure I didnt schedule something stupid today by accident - like incline dumbbell bench AND Barbell bench or something like that. Sometimes I shower before I go just to get the weekend off me first. I have an hour to get in the right mindset, spend time with my body, with my thoughts in the peaceful quiet. I can brainstorm all my creativity, I can set up what Im going to eat at work, I can waste time on MFP - just getting into the right frame of mind before I leave for the gym around 5-515 or 530-545 if I'm lucky enough to workout with my lifting buddy.

My point is - Im not inspired to do my morning workouts - it's something I very much need for my mental health. It's my lifestyle. It's THE lifestyle I worked for years to get comfortable in. It's gotten to the point where NOT going causes problems, not the other way around. Even if I wake up at 7:30 and have to leave for work in an hour - i STILL go.

Its a ritual. It's sacred to me. Things that are vital to me get special treatment.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I love the energy I get from it. If I don't do my videos in the morning, I feel like I'm dragging all day. Plus, I like to use my after work time for a nice walk with my dog around the neighborhood. And as previous posters have said, I will make excuses in the afternoons to avoid my videos. Finally, I've noticed I make better food choices throughout the day when I start my day with a good workout.
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ive just jumped on this early morning workout bandwagon. At first I thought there is no way. but really. its only an extra hour. Once my alarm goes off at 5:30, im kind of awake anyways, and id probably just toss and turn the next hour. So I make myself get up and go to bootcamp. come home, shower, walk to work and DONE! I can do whatever I want the rest of the day, and not have to worry if I will get my workout in, and mentally motivating myself ALL day.

I also find I make better food choices too! and my energy level keeps me going all day.
  • jessifreehugs
    jessifreehugs Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @LT_Starbuck

There is a message scrolling across the top - "Are you a liar or do you want this? You can have it. Go take it."

Its a ritual. It's sacred to me. Things that are vital to me get special treatment.

This really spoke to me...I'm stealing this alarm btw.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    @LT_Starbuck

There is a message scrolling across the top - "Are you a liar or do you want this? You can have it. Go take it."

This really spoke to me...I'm stealing this alarm btw.

Good. :heart:
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    My wedding in April inspires me!

Plus - my fiance moved here (Los Angeles) from London and all of his mates from back home think he's going to gain a ton of weight and be fat like all the other Americans. That's motivation enough! Prove those tricks wrong!
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I get up @ 5am and go downstairs for a dvd or XboxKinect. It is easier for me to workout in the morning b/c if I wait until evening, I end up not getting it done(aka sitting down on the couch). It is also before the kids get up, so I can actually focus on the workout and not going up and down the stairs which breaks up the flow.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have to do 5AM or it won't get done. it was very hard at first but know it's habit, half the battling is showing up! You can do it!
    I workout at home so no excuses when it's cold out :)

and the fact that my body is changing and I see the results makes me want to push more!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I don't workout every morning but when I plan to I just do it knowing that you never know what the day may bring and I may not want to after work. I would much rather get it done and I always feel better when I do.