Slim clothes that don't want to miss another Summer!

Options
Finally got round to sorting out my dressing room yesterday. I now have a mountain of gorgeous clothes from my slim days piled up at the back of the room staring at me in hope! I've dubbed this the "Probation Pile" as it's having its charity shop sentence delayed in the hope I can slim back into it all. Frustrating to see it all piled up and I'm hoping this will work well as motivation.

I've lost 10lbs and have around 25lbs more to go but seem to have hit a bit of a wall. I'm 25 years old and 5"7. I've got my calories set to 1420 and do a few hours dog walking each day but am not losing weight! I tried lowering my calorie intake to 1200 but I was exhausted and uncomfortable. I had a car crash two years ago and it's made other forms of exercise a bit tricky. I'd love love LOVE to fit back into my super lovely clothes by the Summer. Is the end of May a realistic goal to lose 25lbs?

I (and my pile of slim clothes!) would be very grateful for any help or advice anyone can offer to speed things along :)

Replies

• belle19822000
    belle19822000 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm at your height, just turned 30 years.

Set that NET calorie goal higher, i suppose your BMR is around mine (1460 or similar) for sedentary activiy. Walking the dog adds at least 100calories.
    You have to eat more. At 1200 you'll be just hungry all the time. I tried being at 1300 but after 15 days of eating at and below that limit, I felt tired. So I upped it, and lost 1 pound more per week without feeling tired.

Funny, at average 1250-1300 calories I didn't feel hungry, just tired s time went by. I ate my exercise calories back (circuit training, brisk walking for like an hour, etc. all the activities I rotate).

Good luck!
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Technically it's possible as it's around the 2lb per week mark, the upper end of what's recommended as healthy on MFP. BUT...I think it might not be realistic given the fact that you have relatively less to lose - those last 20 are apparently the hardest! - and your restrictions on exercise. Good to set goals, but I hope you'll be super proud of yourself if you lose 10 or 15 in that time.

Have you tried talking to a doctor or a trainer about what additional exercise might be possible? Elliptical, swimming, stationary bike, yoga are all relatively low impact if that is a concern. Otherwise just keep it up, sounds like you're doing everything right and it will just take patience, unfortunately ): Good luck!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? Ur BMR/TDEE isnt based on height alone.
    FTR I'm 5'4 3/4 119lbs & I eat more than you.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    That is a steep goal and you would have to work out for it like crazy. So a 1 lb per week is better, you could lose 12-15 lbs by June. and if you also do some resistance training, you could even fit into those clothes at that weight.
  • 110lbs50kgs
    Options
    I lost 33 lbs in three months easily once I started lifting weights, not just focusing on cardio. Lifting weights will not turn a woman into the incredible hulk, unless she wants to go that route. Seriously start doing barbell squats, and deadlifts if you have access to a gym. Pick up dumbbells that aren't blue, pink, or purple. At first you'll gain weight, but it's muscle. Throw in more intense cardio than just dog walking, and in about three weeks you'll notice a huge difference. The number on the scale is deceiving since muscle weighs more than fat, but muscle is way slimmer.
    Don't limit your food intake so low. I usually keep my intake near 1,600 minimum.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    I lost 33 lbs in three months easily once I started lifting weights, not just focusing on cardio. Lifting weights will not turn a woman into the incredible hulk, unless she wants to go that route. Seriously start doing barbell squats, and deadlifts if you have access to a gym. Pick up dumbbells that aren't blue, pink, or purple. At first you'll gain weight, but it's muscle. Throw in more intense cardio than just dog walking, and in about three weeks you'll notice a huge difference. The number on the scale is deceiving since muscle weighs more than fat, but muscle is way slimmer.
    Don't limit your food intake so low. I usually keep my intake near 1,600 minimum.

I agree tht weight lifting is the way to go, but ur only gonna gain muscle if ur eating over TDEE (not counting newbie gains which isnt tht much) Women can only gain .5-1lb of muscle a month.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this wall?
  • BrightonBelle
    BrightonBelle Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I weigh 165lbs currently and haven't had any loss since end of December. Thanks for the tips re. weights. I'll have a look into that and see if there's anything I can do that won't aggravate back and neck injury.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I weigh 165lbs currently and haven't had any loss since end of December. Thanks for the tips re. weights. I'll have a look into that and see if there's anything I can do that won't aggravate back and neck injury.

I believe you should be eating more.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    I know it's a long read, but good info & he will tell you everything you need to know about how much you should be eating.
  • 4theking
    Options
    Did you lose when you ate 1200? Based upon an average bmr, you should be eating around 1600 a day. When upping calories, don't fear an initial weight gain as things should level out and then start dropping again. Another option is to keep calories where you have them and add in one day a week at a surplus of calories. This day should be 2800 calories with higher carbs, lower fats.
  • BrightonBelle
    BrightonBelle Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I did lose at 1200 but felt knackered all the time and found my concentration levels suffered. Oooh a high carb day at 2800 sounds all too wonderful!
  • 4theking
    Options
    I did lose at 1200 but felt knackered all the time and found my concentration levels suffered. Oooh a high carb day at 2800 sounds all too wonderful!

Keep carbs down during the week and enjoy your spike day. I suspect it will get things moving. I used it to lose close to 60lbs.