Precooked calories?

GrumpySmurf
GrumpySmurf Posts: 3 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
When grilling hamburgers, I usually make my own about 5.5 ounces precooked. Should I record calories based on the precooked or cooked weight? There is usually a good bit of loss, especially on a George Forman.

Thanks,

Replies

• mullensamy
    mullensamy Posts: 11
    I am under the impression that you use the "cooked" information. P.S.- LOVE the profile name.... I collect smurf figurines!!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    usually meat is weighed raw...unless the entry you are using specifies "cooked", I'm sure you can find it both ways in the database...
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    you enter the pre cooked weight if it says specifically "raw weight". That should calculate what what the food yields when cooked. Otherwise, If you have a kitchen scale, you can weigh it after you have cooked it and enter that in to the diary.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I use lean meats so even on a foreman grill there's not much lost so I always use the raw weight for all my meats regardless of how I cook them.
  • GrumpySmurf
    GrumpySmurf Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all very much. Though I mostly use the leanest options I can with meats, I use 80-20 ground chuck for burgers. The drip pan of the GF grill gets pretty full after just one pound (4 burgers). Cooked it is unless otherwise specified.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    I weigh my meat after its cooked on a food scale---I figure I don't eat the stuff that drips off on the grill so it doesn't count :)
This discussion has been closed.