Nearly at goal weight - I'm scared!

Options
Well I've only got another 1 kilo to go, to get to the weight I've been dreaming about for years. I can see the goal in sight.
Trouble is, I'm scared. What then? I've got so programmed into losing weight, and sticking to my 1200 cal a day allowance, how am I going to get on when my allowance is increased? Do I increase the size of my meals? or add extras that I have cut out almost completely - icecream, puddings, cakes etc? Do I exercise less?
Any ideas? What's your experience?

Replies

• JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Hitting the target weight is one thing. Step two should be to: GET RIPPED! Get into the best shape of your life so you live every moment in the best way possible.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories long term is not very healthy. Start a daily exercise program and increase your calorie intake.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories long term is not very healthy. Start a daily exercise program and increase your calorie intake.
    Slowly increase your calories. A massive sudden increase in calories will lead to fat gain.
  • posypink
    posypink Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well done you and good going!! I think maintenance is the hard part..... I think it's trial and error and your body will find a balance :-)

Excellent work though and you should be so proud!! xxx
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm loving being at my goal weight (first time in 20+ years)! :smile:

Eating more of the foods I like, being able to have "treats" without going over my calories. Also have more energy for exercising and have noticed the difference in how much faster I can progress.

I took the transition from losing to maintaining very steadily, slowly increasing over a period of a month until I found the right maintenance calories for me.

My targets are now fitness, strength and health targets,
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    well done!

Definitely agree with the comments about slowly upping your calorie intake now, start with an extra 100 calories - that is the approx equivalent of a banana for example.

I was given a target of 1200 calories a day but found it pretty unsustainable early on, I've upped to 1300 which allows me to have a mid morning snack (like I said a banana) and as I progress I will steadily up this again by another 100.

If you are not exercising then this is something that you need to do, you can then eat back your calories that you burn. For example this Friday I am going to a friends and we'll be having a takeaway so I'll be hitting the gym before I go round. I actually love gym days as these are days when I get to have a great meal. I don't always mean takeaways, but lots of homemade lasgne and so on.

Good luck and well done!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Slowly increase your calories. A massive sudden increase in calories will lead to fat gain.

This. Don't just start eating a bunch more immediately. And yea 1200 calories is much too low to live off of.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

This is true. You should do what is called reverse dieting. That is, slowly increase the daily calories each week by about 100 until you reach your desired level
    1300 week 1
    1400 week 2
    1500 week 3
    etc

This takes a long time, especially if your target is a lot higher, but it will not lead to as much fat gain.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Well I've only got another 1 kilo to go, to get to the weight I've been dreaming about for years. I can see the goal in sight.
    Trouble is, I'm scared. What then? I've got so programmed into losing weight, and sticking to my 1200 cal a day allowance, how am I going to get on when my allowance is increased? Do I increase the size of my meals? or add extras that I have cut out almost completely - icecream, puddings, cakes etc? Do I exercise less? Any ideas? What's your experience?
    I am hungry nearly all the time so when I went on maintenance in May of last year, how to do it wasn't a problem. I simply ate larger meals.

I found the psychological aspects of maintenance harder to deal with and posted a blog about it last week. http://bit.ly/maintainweightloss
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Your goal is in sight! Once reached, I wouldn't make massive changes. Set a new goal, not weight related. Increase strength? Start running? Something that will help you stay healthy and maintain your weight. I'd start adding calories not by adding volume but by changing what you eat. Switch from no fat to low fat which will add some calories. If you eat "light" look at moving to "regular" options. Work it slow and pay attention. You need to figure out what the right number and mix of calories is for you that will enable you to maintain. To be successful you need to keep it off not just lose it, hit the number and run to the fridge! Good luck! And congrats!
  • weebub
    weebub Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, another goal is needed I think. Will have to think about that.
    I like the idea of changing what I eat - no fat to low fat, light to regular. I had wondered about that.