Ideal weight?

Options
What are your opinions of an ideal weight, and how do you know when you've lost enough weight?

I have set my current goal at 70 kgs (150 pounds), and I am currently doing better than I expected at heading towards that goal.

However, that 70 kgs is just an initial goal, a sort of "I know I should weigh less than that".

I used to weigh 60 kgs (130 pounds), when I was a teenager, but slowly put the weight on after leaving highschool.

I am 159 cms tall, if that makes a difference.

Should I worry about a weight?
Maybe it is better to go by how I look and feel?

I don't know why I am worrying about this now. I still got to get to the 70 kg point first.

Anyway, still interested in your opinion on an ideal weight.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't have an ideal weight. I have an ideal body fat % because body composition is much more important to me than the scale weight. And then in that aspect as well, I go by my measurements and how I look in clothes (and nekkid!).

I put my goal weight on MFP as 125 because that is 3 pounds less than I weighed when I was slightly more than 18% body fat. My current goal is 16% body fat. If I get to 16% and I look as good as I want to and I happen to be 120 pounds...or 130 pounds...that's fine with me. I have a goal "look."
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a general weight that I'm working toward, but I'm flexible on it. I find it's easier to stay on track if I'm watching the numbers on the scale... but when it really comes down to it, the weight itself isn't the important part; it's how healthy you feel (and how good you look, too, I'll be honest that I care about that too!).

I wouldn't make "the weight I was in high school" a firm goal because our bodies change as we, um... "mature". :-) If you happen to think that weight would be good now, go for it, but don't pressure yourself to be just like you were in high school because unless you're just barely out of high school, you've probably changed some since then.

My best advice is to maybe have a number in mind as something to work toward, but to be flexible and willing to change it based on how you look and, more importantly, feel :-)
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I definitely have a goal weight, if I didn't I'd give up I think. I'm 165cm but I have a little frame and I'm planning on getting to 58 but I set it on here to 57 to see how far I can go before I wanna put some muscle on.
  • Bardane
    Bardane Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight on what I was at university and felt good at. It was always on the upper ranges (or outside) of what the calculators gave me as I have small/medium frame (I am just at the bottom range of medium). I had a DEXA scan done in Jan and that showed me I have denser bones and more muscle that expected so my goal weight was spot on :happy:
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to maybe have a number in mind as something to work toward, but to be flexible and willing to change it based on how you look and, more importantly, feel :-)

I like this advice.

I mean, the main reason I am doing this is to be healthier, and I have seen so many things, like 'The Biggest Loser' were it all seems to be about losing as much as possible.

I don't want that, I just want to get down to a healthy weight, and stay there.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    For me it is my highschool weight, but I'm more into the skinny look than most people. I think everyone should go for whatever weight makes them feel beautiful and confident, not by other people's beauty standards. Your personal happiness is more important than what society dictates and you shouldn't aim to please everybody because it's impossible. This is why I don't think that you'll find your answer in this thread, but within yourself.
    Set small goals, celebrate them and stop when you like the person in the mirror, not when people start putting pressure on you because some may do it just out of envy.
    Ps. Health comes first :)
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I focus on how I feel. I feel good and live well (don't feel deprived) at 150 lbs. So that's where I want to be. I dropped to 138 lbs at my lowest and felt like crap and was always fighting to try and keep the weight there. I hurt putting on the extra pounds but if I exercise consistently and eat healthy, I feel awesome and wear the same clothes at 150 as I did at 138. Focus on how you feel not the number on the scale.