Why isn't my scale moving?

Options
This is so depressing.

I am working really hard, I am sticking to my 1200 cal/day most of that clean eating, fruits, veg, and proteins
I am doing 35 min. full on on my eliptical machine, I have started 6 pack march ab challenge, and do yoga once a week.
I am a busy mom with 2 jobs and 3 kids (4 including my husband LOL) I don't think I can squeeze anything else into my schedule.

I am only 2 weeks in but lost 4 lbs in the first couple of days and then nothing, not a budge in the scale.
I am getting discouraged.

SW - 212
CW - 208

GW- 180

Anyone have any hints or tips?
I do have hypothyriodism which is currently treated, as well as diet managed type 2 diabetes.

Anyone try and supplements that help to burn the fat?

Feel free to add me too, I can take all the motivation I can get right now.

Replies

• CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You are probably gaining muscle, so instead of weighing yourself check your measurements. I step on the scale once every two weeks and no more.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    drop the abs challenge and switch to a bodyweight circuit like nerdfitness and then move on to the weight room. You dont need to do the ab challenge if you are doing bodyweight and the elliptical. Your abs get a better workout this way.

Once you add any weights, go up to about 1500 or 1600 and play with those numbers until you find somewhere in there that you can settle in comfortably with. Trial and error. Going from 12-1500 will only cause you to gain weight for about 4-6 days then it will go back away because youll have adjusted. Now you will have energy to get your workout done AND be an awesome mom.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is too soon to worry about the scales. Average out the 4 pounds that you've lost, and you're right about where you should be.

Some of us need to build more muscle mass before we can burn significant fat, so keep working out.
  • BBinNC
    BBinNC Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You may also want to consider that you might not be eating enough
  • Bjoyz
    Bjoyz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Some of us need to build more muscle mass before we can burn significant fat, so keep working out.
    [/quote]

I'm in a situation very similar to the OP. But my scale hasn't moved for 4 weeks. I'm beginning to get pretty frustrated. How long until a body typically starts burning fat?!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You are probably gaining muscle, so instead of weighing yourself check your measurements. I step on the scale once every two weeks and no more.
    No. A woman eating at a surplus can gain MAYBE half a pound a month in muscle. Eating at a deficit, you're not going to put on muscle.

From your ticker, you only have about 30 pounds to lose, and you are in no way sedentary. You need to be honest in how you set up your weight loss goals and activity. You are probably at least moderately active with kids and two jobs. You should also be setting it to lose at most a pound a week. That will likely tell you to eat a lot more than 1200 calories. Plus, if you do exercise on top of that, you should eat back your exercise calories. It's how the site was designed. Your total daily goal already has a deficit, so eat all the calories it tells you to.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options
    No. A woman eating at a surplus can gain MAYBE half a pound a month in muscle. Eating at a deficit, you're not going to put on muscle.

From your ticker, you only have about 30 pounds to lose, and you are in no way sedentary. You need to be honest in how you set up your weight loss goals and activity. You are probably at least moderately active with kids and two jobs. You should also be setting it to lose at most a pound a week. That will likely tell you to eat a lot more than 1200 calories. Plus, if you do exercise on top of that, you should eat back your exercise calories. It's how the site was designed. Your total daily goal already has a deficit, so eat all the calories it tells you to.

I agree, it's not about gaining muscle mass, if anything you are retaining fluids while your muscles heal and your body sorts your sodium.
  • babybluex3
    babybluex3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have adjusted my calorie intake, ate a little more yesterday.
    I try to eat back the calories, but I work out at night, which makes it difficult as I don't eat after 8pm.

I guess I will have to make an effort to accomodate during the days that I work out.

Thanks for the imput

-Tiffany
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options
    why dont you eat after 8?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    why dont you eat after 8?

Good question. Timing of your calorie intake does not affect how the food is metabolized. If you're hungry after 8, eat after 8. Also plan ahead on days you know you're going to workout and eat a little more throughout the day.
  • kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories... that is one downfall to computer programs.... it takes an average of 1200 calories to sustain life even if all you did was lay on the couch all day. So, if you are only getting 1200 calories and your body is using most of it just to survive then you are going into a starvation mode. You won't loose anything because your body wants to hold on to what you do put in it because it is not getting enough. As a personal trainer, I make sure my clients eat more as they workout more. Also remember, muscles are CONSTANTLY burning calories, even at rest. You need to bump up your calories. I did the same thing when I first started my 96lb weight loss journey, I hit a bad plateau and even gained a couple of pounds. I bumped my calories up to 1600 and WHAM! I lost the weight I had gained and another 3 pounds.....Give it a try. Feel free to keep in contact if you have any other questions.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Be patient. 4 lbs in 2 weeks is awesome! Just keep doing what you're doing. Good luck.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Because scales are inanimate objects
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Be patient. 4 lbs in 2 weeks is awesome! Just keep doing what you're doing. Good luck.
    THIS...and be patient....there are at least 10 "I've been working out and eating better for 2 whole weeks, why haven't I lost 30 lbs yet?" type threads every day on there.... IT TAKES TIME!

Congrats on the 4 lbs..keep it up! :drinker:
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
    http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

Use these to see how much you are REALLY supposed to be eating. 1200 is far too low.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    LORD LORDIE IF ONE MORE PERSON SAYS GAINING MUSCLE :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    LORD LORDIE IF ONE MORE PERSON SAYS GAINING MUSCLE :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
    I know, right?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRLDYx8PVLM7Oo2YyVazBuxB2pEKdC5ExiSmOAGHgbo7phIOedO3Yprb0C
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have adjusted my calorie intake, ate a little more yesterday.
    I try to eat back the calories, but I work out at night, which makes it difficult as I don't eat after 8pm.

I guess I will have to make an effort to accomodate during the days that I work out.

Thanks for the imput

-Tiffany

Then eat them back the next day. If you are only eating 1200 calories a day and then working out, being a mom, working- you are probably netting a lot less than 1200, and that's not good.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I know, right?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRLDYx8PVLM7Oo2YyVazBuxB2pEKdC5ExiSmOAGHgbo7phIOedO3Yprb0C

Seriously. 2 weeks of working out and people think someone is gaining muscle? While eating 1200 calories? If only it were that easy!