Closed diary's

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Becuase I don't want to post that I have success, and then have the food police point out the slice of pizza I had two days ago and use that as fire to rain down on my parade.

I'd just laugh at them. If you're having success without torturing yourself with fad diets and cutting out foods you like, then it's all the more reason to gloat at the pseudoscience pushers. It's why my diary is open.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Some people don't know that the can open their diary. The default setting is closed. Some people don't want other people to criticise their choices. Some people are more accountable when no one else can see their diary, others are more accountable when people can see.

I use to have open diary ... but don't take criticism lightly ..... My Dr weighs me ... and i have had help from a dietician in the past .
    So it is a personal thing i guess ... What works for one doesn't necessary work for another .
    I don't look at other diary's any more either , as we are from all parts of the world ....And we all eat differently .:wink:
  • Missita84
    Missita84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mine's open to friends, but that's it, and I doubt any of my friends even look at it. If I thought people were looking at my diary (and especially if anyone commented on it), then I'd become way more self-conscious about what I put on my diary. On the one hand, you might think that the result of that would be that I'd just eat better foods, so that there wouldn't be anything to judge. But what would actually happen would be that I'd eat candy, or fast food, or something, and just wouldn't log it so no one could call me out. And that wouldn't help me be accountable to myself, so that's no good.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm in recovery from an ED, and prefer not to have people judging my choices as it might set me off again. Also, I work out too much at times, and will use the extra calories for treats. I don't feel like having people comment about what I choose to eat in these instances. I track for myself, to keep myself in line, and make sure I eat enough but not too much. It has nothing to do with anyone else.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I agree it personal opinion. I respect the people who have it closed as it's their choice. For me it helps me be accountable. I take any critism with a grain of salt. Most days I am happy with my choices. Most of my friends give good supporting advice anyways. They tell me tomorrow is a new day when I'm not so successful and when I'm successful they pat me on the back. Personally I use this site to be accountable for my habits, but I love (and it helps) that people (for the most part) are supportive and helpful.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My friends view mine, but otherwise private...youve made me wonder if i should open it though!

ETA.. I opened it! Lets see how it goes!

Thanks! I peeked at your diary because you have LOST 86 POUNDS! I wanted to see how you were doing it. Very interesting. I first noticed the Atkins bar and thought, oh, she does Atkins, but obviously you don't. And it reminded me of when I used to do Atkins how filling those bars are, and I noticed all the protein in them. So it gave me a good idea-- you don't necessarily have to do Atkins to have an Atkins bar. So thanks! I think it's a good thing to have diaries open. Mine is.
  • MommyAustin
    Options
    I think for some people who struggle with attaching moral value to food (ie. "good" foods and "bad" foods) it can be helpful to have a closed diary, especially if you're worried about people judging you. I know that sometimes, when my diary is open, I obsess a bit about what I eat and feel guilty, especially if I've had a day with lots of "bad" foods. That's a mindset people need to change (myself included) but until it happens, sometimes it's just easier to keep your diary closed.

This.
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Too many food nazi's.

^
    Mine's locked with a key. (which is readily available to the observant)
    I don't press complete until the day after. I count on the lack of convenience to keep the judgey out of my hair.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    in all honesty the reason most have closed diaries is because they don't like the comments they get on their eating habits. so they either leave theirs closed or set to friends only. comments are welcome but sometimes the comments appear really judgemental or like I know everything and if you don't agree with my ways of eating you will get an ear ful.

This ^^^, friends only
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends, I eat IF and don't eat breakfast and get tired of the whole.. YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON EATING THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY comments.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I always like to look, good or bad, especially when they want to publicize their story.

I agree that they should open their diary if they are going to publicize or brag about their success :) Which bragging is a good thing here! I want to see how many calories they are consuming, ya know?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    You can change your settings, so it doesn't show when you've completed your diary.
    Too many food nazi's.

^
    Mine's locked with a key. (which is readily available to the observant)
    I don't press complete until the day after. I count on the lack of convenience to keep the judgey out of my hair.
  • mireyap21
    mireyap21 Posts: 72
    Options
    I GOT NOTHING TO HIDE open diary up in here
  • nannybubbles
    Options
    .. and lo! it was opened unto him...

hi there.. no problem just think people will find it boring actually as i am a very repetitive eater.... i have fads of things i like and pretty much repeat till i think of something else...

when i first started out learning about my eating, i realised that portion control was my biggest downfall and so i deliberately stuck to "ping" meals... particularly lighter choice types... (don't know if you've all heard, but now in the UK many of the ready meals labelled beef lasagne etc have been found to contain horse DNA.... hope it hasn't done me too much harm but i certainly wouldn't have been able to run in the 3.30 at aintree on sunday without it !)

also at the moment i am saving my pennies towards my hols in the usa next week!! so i am living out of the freezer.... i always have chicken breast fillets etc.... i track absolutely everything except water, i just fill up my bottle in the morning and refill and repeat so i'm not worried about not drinking enough

so please feel free, but you haven't been missing much!!
  • fatpanda96
    Options
    I leave my diary open but I like to close it on some cheat days or days when i don't eat a lot so people won't tell me to change my diet.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    If one more person mocks my mayo addiction or the fact that I like ketchup on my eggs, I am shutting that ***** down!

Ketchup on eggs? Seriously?

I kinda get the ketchup thing. I like salsa on my eggs. :laugh:

Well, salsa, yes. Huevos Rancheros, okay. Ketchup? smh

snob!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter to me ,at first I was a bit upset.But if they are open and you comment some people can't handle the feed back you give .If its closed I don't comment most of the time. Live and let live ....:/

Upset?
    Because you can't look at someones diary?

It happens. I was deleted by someone recently that was upset she couldn't see my diary because she wanted to make sure I was eating well. (I keep personal notes in mine, that's why it's closed and explained that to her also explained to her she need not worry, I eat clean 90% of the time, I've lost 107 lbs so I think what I'm doing is working) Then a few days later I see her supporting and following the 3 Day Military Diet on the forums. Oh the irony. I just laughed and shook my head.
  • KelBelz22
    KelBelz22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP for real back in January I had it closed and people asked me to open it so they could see how I was doing. I noticed that I was getting a lot of negative feedback from it even though I felt great. I said to myself, If I'm eating enough and feeling good and what not, why should I have to deal with the negativity. I closed my diary again. I joined for myself and to watch myself progress, I'm not doing this for other people. Dieting is a personal thing. If I have a bad day I dont want to hear about it from other people. I know it was a bad day and I deal with it on my own.
  • Missellaneous02
    Missellaneous02 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I originally had it open. But I closed it to friends only. I never got negative feedback though, but I figured I would at some point since this is the internet and there are many different personalities here. Also if I feel like I need advice I can either check the message boards for similar questions or ask everyone myself. Therefore when I want the advice I get it, and when I don’t want it I don’t have to worry about getting it.
  • aa62579
    aa62579 Posts: 57
    Options
    I keep mine closed because I do not log everyday or every meal, and I often log things I don't end up eating, so it's not even accurate. I'll play around with it a lot at work, more like what-ifs to see how things will fit into my cals and other areas, and those may or may not match what I actually end up eating when I get home.

So, it would be useless for someone else to look at and base anything on.

Also, I'm not posting any why am I not losing weight, etc, threads. I do think those that post threads like that should open their diaries up.