*Daily Whine* Do I HAVE to Cardio?

Options
iceey
iceey Posts: 354 Member
I would rather do weights all day long than do cardio. My cardio is terrible and i get out of breath so easily. But weights are fun!

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    actually.. you DON'T have to do cardio. it's good for heart health, but you can burn fat from strength training alone.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I think cardio is waaaay overdone by most people. Unless you're training for some kind of endurance event, there's really no reason to do cardio 5-6 times a week. That said, your heart is the most important muscle in your body so yes, cardio should be part of one's fitness regime.

Personally I lift 4-5x days a week and do cardio 1-2x a week.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    do gpp work instead of traditional cardio

barbell complexes
    weighted carries / farmers walks
    hill sprints
    sled pulls
    kettlebell swings

but no you don't HAVE to do any of that to lose weight.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    do gpp work instead of traditional cardio

barbell complexes
    weighted carries / farmers walks
    hill sprints
    sled pulls
    kettlebell swings

but no you don't HAVE to do any of that to lose weight.

Yes! Train for Strongman competitions!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I would rather do weights all day long than do cardio. My cardio is terrible and i get out of breath so easily. But weights are fun!

What do you consider to be "cardio"?
  • iceey
    Options
    I am considering elliptical and treadmill type exercises to be pure cardio. I know I get some cardio when I strength train, but I think I should be doing more cardio work.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a steady cardio routine in over 4 months.

I lift 4-5 days/week and throw in 15-25 mins of HIIT on the treadmill twice a week after lifting.

I'll probably start running outside once it gets nicer, but that's only because I enjoy doing that... Can't stand running in place for 3 miles.
  • myofibril
    Options
    I am considering elliptical and treadmill type exercises to be pure cardio. I know I get some cardio when I strength train, but I think I should be doing more cardio work.

And what do you hope to achieve by doing more cardio and why is this important to you (sorry for the questions but it is relevant to what will be beneficial for you to do...which may in fact be more cardio - although not necessarily gym based! )
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    My cardio is terrible and i get out of breath so easily.

Then I would think you'd need/want to do at least some cardio for your heart health. JMHO
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Yes weights are fun but you said yourself your cardio is terrible and you get out of breath easily. It might do you some good to work on your cardio. I lift and do cardio while a friend of mine is just lifting. The difference is I can run up a flight of stairs without feeling like I can't breathe.
  • iceey
    Options
    Not sure what I hope to achieve by doing more cardio other than weight loss. But cardio seems to be touted as part of a balanced health and weight loss program.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    While you don't HAVE to do it, you probably should. Heart health is important.

It doesn't have to be crazy cardio either. Get your heart rate up (say 75% of your MAX heart rate) and sustain it for 20 minutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • myofibril
    Options
    Not sure what I hope to achieve by doing more cardio other than weight loss. But cardio seems to be touted as part of a balanced health and weight loss program.

If that is the case then just stick to good diet to achieve fat loss and weights to preserve lean mass.

If your goals do stretch to improving CV conditioning at some point then incorporate some sort of cardio that you like doing (so dancing, cycling, swimming, brisk walking, climbing, roller blading, ice skating etc...)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Well, when you say "my cardio is terrible and I get out of breath so easily" that jumps out at me as an area for improvement! Aerobic fitness is terribly important, as others have said your heart is your most important muscle. Weight lifting will help you lose fat and recomposition your body, no doubt. But some efficient and effective cardio (ie HIIT cardio) is important for optimal health.

I lost 45 pounds in one year doing cardio for 35 to 45 minutes 4-5 times a week. My blood profile (chol, triglyceride, etc) is all above optimal and my blood pressure is now within normal range. There is little statistical chance I will have a heart attack or stroke anytime soon. And I'm 50 years old. So yeah, for me cardio is more than worth the investment of time.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio, too! So I don't do it. I lift heavy weights, 3 days a week, and am losing body fat and have never been happier with my workout plan. The most I do is about 3-4 minutes of elliptical, just to warm up and loosen up a bit before the pushing and pulling begins, and that is it. I don't know what your strenght regimen is, but if you are interested in some programs, I began with Stronglifts 5x5, others say Starting Strength is good too.
  • dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    Hearts are necessary for life. Take care of yours. If you're getting out of breath very easily... well...

Cardio also improves and increases your vasculature, increases mitochondria, lots of good stuff.

Some folks like to avoid cardio because they believe they will lose muscle mass and strength. That is a choice to make, make it yours. But if you are demonstrating the signs of less than optimal cardiovascular health, perhaps you should train to improve it.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    No
  • iceey
    Options
    Hearts are necessary for life. Take care of yours. If you're getting out of breath very easily... well...

Cardio also improves and increases your vasculature, increases mitochondria, lots of good stuff.

Some folks like to avoid cardio because they believe they will lose muscle mass and strength. That is a choice to make, make it yours. But if you are demonstrating the signs of less than optimal cardiovascular health, perhaps you should train to improve it.

I know, I know. You are all right. A healthy heart and all that stuff is equally important. I just hate doing it.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Do things you like to do or you won't keep doing them.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    While you're free to do what you want, and it's important to get in whatever you can, let me ask you this: If your car has a flat tire, do you just emphasize the other three, or do you deal with the flat one?

Part of balance comes from addressing weaknesses. If you quickly find yourself out of breath, take time to work on that. Take it from someone else who also finds himself having to bite the bullet and do exercises he doesn't like.

But, as some have already said, you don't need to be preparing for a marathon. Find some kind of cardio you like and do that (myself, I'm partial to rowing, but I'm required to run).