Sharp pain in side of lower buttocks

Options
I have recently started running again about 2 weeks ago after a 3 month hiatus. I am getting a pain in the lower side of my buttocks around mile 2 and it's rather dull, so I 'run through it.' When I stop running (usually after 3.5-- 4 miles) and walk to cool down, the pain greatly increases and I feel it every single step. Last night was the first night that it hurt all evening...not terribly like after running, but enough for me to notice soreness and the same thing again this morning. Previously it has gone away within an hour or so.
Has anyone had any experience with this? I am clueless what it could be. I realize I may have increased my mileage too rapidly, but am wondering if its really related.
Any help or advice would be welcome:)

Replies

• twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    someone has to say it - yeah running is a real pain in the *kitten* :P
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing down my hamstring. It starts where the buttock and hamstring are together then travels down the outside of the muscle. Most likely, at least for me, it's some form of tendonitis. It flared up for me after running a half-marathon in November. It was cold and I didn't really warm up like I should have. Runners I know who have had similar pains say this is what they were diagnosed with.

My advice from them and to you, primarily, is after you run to make sure you stretch really well. This will help. Stretch AFTER you run. Never stretch a cold muscle, that's how you'll get hurt. Also, if it is tendonitis, take an anti-inflammatory (aspiring or ibuprofen) every few hours. It will numb the pain a little and help the swelling of the tendon go down. IcyHot (or similar) won't help it heal, but might make it feel better.
  • strongnhappy
    strongnhappy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe siatic nerve? Try stretching out your hip flexors.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I would be SO excited if this is about stretching. Here's why:
    I used to stretch out for 3-5 minutes before I ran and had no problems. Then I have read some people think stretching prior to running is a bad thing. So that has stuck in my mind along with the fact it has not been warm, so I have been anxious to get moving and get my body temp heated up.
    Definitely going back to stretching before I run and immediately after.

Thanks!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Might be sciatica could try a piriformis stretch (youtube pigeon pose yoga)

Or could just be that you didn't warmup/stretch enough before you started - I always run after I lift so I am usually pretty warm, if I am just doing cardio I will stretch in the sauna for a bit before I start (if you are running outside then just do some high knees and stretching for a few minutes)

just my 2 cents - if it doesn't improve see your physician
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you are describing the same pain I had or not but mine was from ramping up mileage too quickly. Try these stretches and pull back on your mileage

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/stretching-series/stretching-pt-3-back-of-hip/

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/stretching-series/stretching-pt-5-front-of-hip/
  • kellyes86
    kellyes86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links, HypersonicFitNess!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will be doing lots of stretching and hope it remedies the problem:)