Closed diary's

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because if someone comes in and goes "Dude, you lost 153 pounds... maybe if I eat exactly what you ate, I'll lose too"... then they'll be full of good food, but probably disappointed.

What I eat to lose =/= what others need to eat to lose.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just a quick observation , I love looking at the success stories . And the one thing that sticks out is 2/3 of the people have closed diary's ? Why is this ? Surely an open diary would help other MFP people ?
    Is there a reason why ?

I have mine open too, I dont care lol....I have not mastered my eating that is for SURE based on my diaries....but I remember someone wrote when they were asked...they use the notes section as a journal of sorts and write VERY personal stuff in that section so if their food diaries were open, people would be able to read their 'journal' so to speak.....
  • Mermaidyo
    Mermaidyo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think it's because some people feel that their way is the ONLY way. So if you have your diary open to everyone, then something that works absolutely great for you might end up with critisism from others. Things like keto diet or intermittent fasting are ways of eating that work for people, but some other can have strong opinions about them. At the start you might spend a lot of time showing the benefits of your way of eating and why you are not doing damage to yourself, but eventually you get fed up of the arguing.

I have mine open to my friends.

to a t how i feel. Some people think their way is the ONLY way!! I eat good but clearly i'm not a vegan or vegetarian like some. Or I'm not eating as many mini meals as others. I eat about 6 mini meals a day when I had my diary open they said "wow you should eat more" when I was eating 1800 calories. >_<
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If one more person mocks my mayo addiction or the fact that I like ketchup on my eggs, I am shutting that ***** down!

Ketchup on eggs? Seriously?

I kinda get the ketchup thing. I like salsa on my eggs. :laugh:

Well, salsa, yes. Huevos Rancheros, okay. Ketchup? smh

snob!

Caught me Hoss!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When I started I kept mine closed. Then I opened it to friends. Now it is open to everyone. I think it is a privacy issue and it feels weird at first having other people see what I eat but I quickly got used to it. I mainly opened it because I love looking at other people's diaries and I do think it helps keep me more accountable keeping my diary open. I do get some questions about what I eat (and especially about juicing) but I don't mind and if I did mind I would just ignore the messages. As it is I try to respond with kindness without writing a book.

You have to admit, looking at food diaries is kind of like voyeurism ... :wink:
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    because i don't want anyone to know about my addiction to eating chalk and laundry soap.

LOL!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I don't keep mine open for a number of reasons and one of those reasons is being judged without knowing the details. This has happened and made me decide it wasn't worth it to keep my diary open because I shouldn't be judged when I try to be a healthy and balanced eater but circumstances cause that to falter.

Like spending the last 3 days cleaning my house from ceiling to floor and still picking up after a 4 year old, usually I do this when she is not home and it takes a day... with her it takes 3 which means I didn't get to the grocery store... and I am out of veggies/fruit that isn't frozen. Not to mention having a lot of stress so I ate pretty badly but stayed within my calories all weekend. Not proud of my choices at all but my beautifully clean house was worth it for me. Now I get to go grocery shopping tonight and I am getting all the deliciously healthy foods that I wanted to get two days ago.
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed because there are a lot of days that I don't log or finish logging.
  • Goldie_13
    Goldie_13 Posts: 71
    Options
    I keep mine closed just because I feel it's for me to keep track no one else.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Too many food nazis.

Yup, this.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    And the one thing that sticks out is 2/3 of the people have closed diary's ? Why is this ? Surely an open diary would help other MFP people ?
    Is there a reason why ?

It's the default and no one changes it unless they care what other people think.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed because what I am doing is working for me, and I do not want or need any criticism or advice. Negativity is not something that I can handle very well.

What I am eating, may or may not help anyone else. I am not qualified to offer advice to anyone. If they asked me, I would probably tell them, but, next week is my 1 year anniversary, and no one has asked me yet.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people don't realize that its closed initially.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open, I'm an open book and extremely honest. I'm human, I make mistakes, and sometimes I'm on the money. Its all a trial run :)
  • eightpock
    eightpock Posts: 61
    Options
    Just a quick observation , I love looking at the success stories . And the one thing that sticks out is 2/3 of the people have closed diary's ? Why is this ? Surely an open diary would help other MFP people ?
    Is there a reason why ?

Out of privacy concerns. Although, I've recently opened ,mine to the public.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why ?

I've been on MFP for over a year now and I used to weight and measure EVERYTHING. Now I can determine how much a chicken breast weighs without putting it on the scale. I can put a cup of veggies on the plate w/o pulling out a single measuring cup. So, I pretty much know if i'm eating within my calorie limits. So most days I don't log or I'll only log when I eat something out of the norm, so basically, it's for my own information and no one else's.
  • jball1954
    jball1954 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's a personal choice and for some people and a very private thing regarding their weight management. Probably the 2/3s who have private diaries would quit MFP if it had to be public. It's probably more helpful to read those who are comfortable sharing only. I guess we should just respect people's privacy.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Perhaps those people don't feel they need to expose everything to people...they came here to help themselves...not necessarily to help and guide everyone else.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    You can look at mine..
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Diary shame! I have it everytime I go way over but I keep it open anyway. Just because you go over a few times a week doesnt mean you wont have progress over time, it will just happen slower.