Closed diary's

Options

Replies

• jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    When my diary is closed, I log /everything/ - even my binges. When it's open, I feel the need (not something I seem able to control) to make it look nice and presentable. If I'm to be successful, I need to be honest and so closed it is.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I understand that some people do have friends on here that they actually know in *real* life, so would be different for them, but...mostly people on here are anonymous to each other. All of my friends have 'open' diaries and they are good, they are bad some days. It helps me to be accountable to other than myself and also lets me see that I am not the only one when I have a fail day. We all comment on each others dairies to encourage.

If I were to receive any critical comment from them I would consider it, as having chosen my friends list very carefully, I know it would have been said in a positive way.

I have had learned so much from seeing what other people eat and how they manage their macros etc and I hope that my diary has done the same for other people.

Each to their own.

NAILED IT!
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I think mine is closed. honestly, i never use it. i have a notebook i log in. Its easier for me to flip a few pages.than search an unreliable database.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I used to have mine only open to friends... then I decided to just make it public. I was afraid of the "food nazis" commenting on what I eat (too my much processed foods, high sodium foods, etc), but then I realized I have kept 100+ pounds off for nearly three years, so I must be doing something right!

I guess I finally don't care what people think about my eating habits. I eat fairly good, but I do indulge quite a bit too because I know that if I don't enjoy my favorite foods on occasions, that will be my downfall. Like everyone else, I have good days and bad days. And I track everything I eat, every day... even on my worst days! :tongue:
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Too many food nazis.

QFT

Mine is visible to friends, and I keep that list short.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open because people have asked me what I ate to get as far as I have with weight loss. I have had pals who chose to close theirs because they were going on a fad diet, were in a funk, didn't want negative comments, or they thought that they couldn't be an 'honest' logger and improve their diet, if it was open. I hate to admit it, but I have skipped logging a few 'bad' things because mine is open and I didn't want to set a bad example. I am totally honest now though. :)

What is the real purpose of logging anyway? It's to realize what we are eating, learn how to improve our diets, stay within calorie goals to gain, lose or maintain weight, log exercise for goals, etc.

Anyway, it's not my business if someone's is closed or not, so I don't care. If it works for them, that is what matters.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I use it for food logging and entertainment. However, if people are looking at mine for new ideas, they're going to be vastly disappointed; I'm the most boring eater I know. If anyone feels the need to judge me based on what I eat though, they're just going to have to get over themselves. I don't make my choices to please anyone else and only I get to decide whether my day was a good or bad one.

That, and the default setting is closed. I'm sure many new people don't realize this, nor feel the need to change it.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Mine is open, but I sure understand why people close theirs! I use names for recipes that only mean something to ME....It never occured to me until recently that other people might look at it and say OMG! I can't believe that! But alas.....they do.....I still don't really give a rats behind because just because a recipe might be NAMED "Steaming pile of poo", doesn't mean it contains ANY poo whatsoever! lol Some people seem to be VERY concerned about others though! lol
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Mine's open to my friends. Most days it's pretty good; sometimes it includes a large bag of Pretzel M&Ms. I'm doing what works for me, taking into account my finances and exercise regime, as well as my dietary concerns and preferences. These things won't change because some busybody on the internet thinks they know what's best for me.
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open. So far haven't found a reason to make it private. I have found ideas and recipes from other open diaries that I am thankful for.
  • zkss27
    zkss27 Posts: 62
    Options
    I don't think it matters either way. As long as what you are doing is working, then keep on keepin' on. If it's not working, and you keep doing what you've always done, you'll get the same results that you always get!
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm a very private person in general. I log for myself. I don't think I could handle any judgments given or don't care to give others "permission" to eat as I do. I get enough of that from my mother. I've just kept with the mantra from yoga to keep my eyes on my own mat. I don't know where others are in their journey and they don't know where I am. What's fine for me, right now, may not be best for anyone else.

Actually it's one of the reasons I had gained my weight back from losing the 60 lbs the first time years ago. The judgments just affect me too much nor do I have the "magic beans" for those that aren't accepting to hear that I lost weight from portion control and exercise. That was from folks I knew offline.

If I had a specific question I would open it but promptly close it again once I had those suggestions. In most cases, I won't be asking but lurk the boards to see if others had a similar question.
  • marshmallow8978
    marshmallow8978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like mine open because I feel like it keeps me more honest. I eat a lot of food, I have dessert everyday, BUT, I think twice about going back for seconds or thirds because I don't want to log "10 Oreo cookies" etc. It keeps me accountable but I can completely see why people might want to be private with that info. People's relationship with food is complex, and especially so when they are dieting, or maintaining. That said, I do like when I can see others diaries; I'm nosy.
  • kahdxoom
    kahdxoom Posts: 129
    Options
    I am a private person. Nuff said.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The only food nazi that really bothers me is my mother, and she lives 1000 miles away and doesn't even know I'm trying to lose weight. LOL

My diary is open. But the food I eat works for me-- I keep an excel spreadsheet with a running total of my macros and I'm pretty darned close long-term to what they are "supposed" to be.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Reasons mine is closed now:

Hypercritical people

I don't want encouragement from other people about what I'm eating. I know that what I'm eating is working.

I practice IF and so some days, my calories are very, very low and some days they are well over. I don't want to hear about it.

At some point I found myself forcing myself to eat more on days I was under and not logging some foods on days that I went over. My weight loss slowed for a couple weeks in a row. I set it to private and am only logging for myself so I am brutally honest and back to not worrying about about whether each day looks "pretty" as long as the weekly average is good.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt say im a ... sucess story .. yet! but im doing well and my diarys open some people are just secretive .. i didnt have mine open at first and i also didnt want to post pictures .. some people dont know its closed =D

385747_288195334628427_636667634_n_zps0357fb26.jpg
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    To avoid unsolicited advice from people who are probably far less successful.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I'm fixing to close mine because I had a friend give unsolicited advice on what I was eating and not eating. They became one friend lighter.
    If I don't ASK, leave me the heck alone!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed to all except my friends. And my friends are only people who I actually know in real life. Those are the people who I know love me, know me well, and are the people I don't mind commenting on my diary. Other people don't know me so their advice may not fit me.

I'm a private person in some sense... so I just don't like letting random people be my friend on here. I have no problem commenting on posts - because I CHOOSE to comment on the post and reveal that information. I don't like the ideas of rando's just looking at my diary and me not knowing.... so hence closed.