This May Be an "Afterburn" Question...

Options
Or maybe not. Anyway, I currently eat at a TDEE-20% deficit. I just started weight training. I have to do it at 8:00pm due to my schedule. Ideally I would be home, showered and asleep by 10:00-10:30.

Question is:
Do I log my workout and eat more that night when I get home?
Since I won't be weight training every day (4 days/ week) I don't necessarily think I should up my TDEE...or should I?
This is the idea I had: Can I log my strength training in for the next day (when I am likely to be hungrier from the extra energy used) and eat the calories then instead?
How much of a difference does it make?

Replies

• Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Also my TDEE already includes 30 minutes of exercise besides that, which I continue to do otherwise. Not sure if that matters. Thanks :smile:
  • avibachar
    avibachar Posts: 47
    Options
    Bump. I'm curious to find out what people say about this.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're over thinking it.

If you increase your activity, your TDEE will increase. Though in your case, I don't think it's going to be significant enough to worry about.

As for eating... eat when you are hungry, eat so you can sustain your calorie/macro goals and move along. Don't worry about eating at certain times or whatever else.

If you're not increasing your TDEE, why would you need to eat more? If you think you'll be hungry after your workout, then just save some cals for a post-workout snack/meal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    TDEE should include exercise, read the descriptions for the different activity levels and choose the appropriate one and take into account the time/days you exercise.

Using TDEE allows you to eat the same intake everyday regardless if you work out that day or not. essentially it averages your exercise for the week and divides it by 7 and adds it to your daily base.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're over thinking it.

If you increase your activity, your TDEE will increase. Though in your case, I don't think it's going to be significant enough to worry about.

As for eating... eat when you are hungry, eat so you can sustain your calorie/macro goals and move along. Don't worry about eating at certain times or whatever else.

If you're not increasing your TDEE, why would you need to eat more? If you think you'll be hungry after your workout, then just save some cals for a post-workout snack/meal.

Agreed.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Good Question! If I were you I would post it in the "in place of a road map" group, lots of experience there!

I've noticed that when I log my strength training in the proper category it doesn't increase my calories for the day -> since it is not aerobic exercise. It is the aerobic activity that earns you calories.

I used the spreadsheet that HeyBales developed. It has places to enter all these different activities, then comes up with your TDEE, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones (it is under the "where" category on this post)

So, as far as logging and eating.......how many extra calories are you burning during the strength training? I know when I do, it would be less than 100cals for the 45 minutes. And, if you are using a heart rate monitor to figure them, sadly, it is not that accurate as your heart rate wouldn't be high enough for it to really calculate it properly...

So, get into the "Road Map" group and maybe some further answers will be there. :)

p.s. it is okay to "overthink" this! (I don't think you are though).....that's how new discoveries are made :bigsmile:
  • hpilon27
    hpilon27 Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm not claiming to have the answer to this, but I do know that 1 great day of exercise, or 1 bad day of eating doesn't have any affect in the long run... That being said, MFP will show you your weekly stats also. Perhaps go with that rather than 1 day at a time.
  • rward007
    rward007 Posts: 32
    Options
    I would think you'd want to nutrition to aid in recovery. I don't have any research to back that up though. This link supports eating post workout, but it's broscience. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm
  • Davina_JH
    Options
    Good Question! If I were you I would post it in the "in place of a road map" group, lots of experience there!

I've noticed that when I log my strength training in the proper category it doesn't increase my calories for the day -> since it is not aerobic exercise. It is the aerobic activity that earns you calories.

I used the spreadsheet that HeyBales developed. It has places to enter all these different activities, then comes up with your TDEE, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones (it is under the "where" category on this post)

So, as far as logging and eating.......how many extra calories are you burning during the strength training? I know when I do, it would be less than 100cals for the 45 minutes. And, if you are using a heart rate monitor to figure them, sadly, it is not that accurate as your heart rate wouldn't be high enough for it to really calculate it properly...

So, get into the "Road Map" group and maybe some further answers will be there. :)

p.s. it is okay to "overthink" this! (I don't think you are though).....that's how new discoveries are made :bigsmile:

Thank you :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you're doing TDEE-20%, that includes your exercise calories so you don't eat more when you exercise, you should plant to eat about the same amount of calories every day and get in whatever level of activity you used to calculate your TDEE.
  • Davina_JH
    Options
    The more I learn, the less I know...if that makes sense! Thanks everyone :drinker: