Stuffed Cabbage Casserole (in the crockpit)

Options
gwensoul
gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html

I never thought I would be a cabbage person, but this is amazing. I made it once her way and then last night threw it in the crockpot to see how that works (spoiler, it works great). It filled a 6 quart crockpot. Fed 2 very hungry adults with enough left over for 5 good sized lunches for the week. A little sour cream goes well on this as well.

Here is the recipe with my changes

Ingredients:

1 lb. 95% lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 tbsp finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp sweet Hungarian Paprika
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 1/2 heads green cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1-2 cup water
1 cups uncooked brown rice
2 cups pizza blend cheese

Instructions:

Heat a large frying pan on medium heat; add ground beef and cook until it's browned and cooked through, breaking it apart as it cooks. Add onion to soften . Add the minced garlic, dried thyme, and paprika and cook about 2 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and uncooked rice and 1- 2 cup of water

Cut cabbage in half, cut out the core, and remove any wilted outer leaves; chop the cabbage coarsely into 1 inch pieces.

In the crockpot layer half the cabbage, half the meat mixture, remaining cabbage, and remaining meat mixture. (you can just mix it all in also.)

Cook on High for 6 hours adding water if the rice is not getting done. For the last 20 minutes put cheese on top and let melt.

Replies

• caxt03
    caxt03 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    This is so funny cause this morning I was looking for a cabbage recipes thanks ill try it tommrow
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • cboelens
    cboelens Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump! Thanks!
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I've made this a couple of times. Once in the oven and it turned out fabulous and another time I made it, but used it to stuff peppers and then baked it and it was awesome that way too!
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    This looks great - thanks for sharing! :drinker:
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Mmm, this looks yummy! I gotta admit, even though I saw 'casserole' in the title, when I read the bit about chopping up the cabbage I was momentarily like, 'But how you gonna stuff it like that?' :need a smiley with a dunce cap:
  • madamecj82
    madamecj82 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump ... thnx! =)
  • romyd84
    romyd84 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Now I know what to cook tomorrow:)
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Bump....drool drool..........:bigsmile:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Mmm, this looks yummy! I gotta admit, even though I saw 'casserole' in the title, when I read the bit about chopping up the cabbage I was momentarily like, 'But how you gonna stuff it like that?' :need a smiley with a dunce cap:
    LOL...I did the same thing!!!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    bump... love lazy man cabbage rolls but haven't tried it in the crock yet
  • Nana82Much
    Nana82Much Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I made cabbage rolls the other night and used brown rice and ground turkey.. it was delish! I froze a few for easy heatups at work.

I may have to try this!
  • Ellienana
    Ellienana Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just put this in the crock! You're on the clock, OP! :laugh:

Couple minor changes cos it's what I had-- tomato sauce instead of chunky things, no Hungarian paprika... will probably just have mozzarella cheese. I expect it will still be delicious! Also, I swear, I had the world's most dense cabbage-- probably could have just used half. But hey, we'll be a totally musical family tonight, right? :D
  • ChristieNJFitnessAddict
    Options
    this sounds yummy! I will try to make this but with ground turkey and no rice. I don't eat red meat and I've banished rice for now :) Thanks for the info!
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    yum!!!