SWEET POTATO IDEAS PLEASE

Options
13»

Replies

• cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Twice-baked sweet potato, substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream and butter, a little nutmeg, a little pepper, brown sugar if you want, pinch of salt if you want.

To "twice bake": bake for an hour at 350, scoop out the inside and mash up the ingredients, bake another 15 minutes.

I added bread crumbs on the top for a little crispiness, and I liked that too.

Try toppings like onion, salsa for a "loaded" baked potato.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe collection from Shape.com.

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/10-healthy-sweet-potato-recipes

I love the egg bake & veggie burger.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat them is sweet potato bbq potato chips. slice into thin chips, and top with mesquite bbq seasoning, and spray with pam. bake like you would for fries.
  • thinjim123
    thinjim123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was googling the same thing today and came across this - 'healthy' sweet potato brownies! Haven't tried it yet, looks de-lish but you have to be careful counting...

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/2012/11/09/deliciously-healthy-sweet-potato-brownies/
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    There are so many awesome things to do with sweet potatoes!

Sweet Potato Hash
    - Shred sweet potato or diced into small pieces
    - Cook onion in skillet, add garlic then shredded sweet potato
    - Season with salt and pepper, cinnamon and cayenne
    - Cook until sweet potato is just about ready to eat (can cover while it cooks to speed this up)
    - Top with an egg and cover until egg white is cooked but yolk is still runny
    - Eat and enjoy!
    - This is also great with some Canadian bacon diced into the mix if you are into that type of thing.

Sweet Potato with Black Beans and Cheddar
    - Bake sweet potato in microwave or oven
    - Split open and top with black beans and cheddar cheese, plus salt, pepper, cinnamon and cayenne to taste
    - Heat in microwave or in oven until black beans are warm and cheese is melted

Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup
    - Can make this in slow cooker or on stove top
    - 1 onion
    - 3 cloves garlic
    - 2-3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    - 1/2 to 1 pound sweet potatoes
    - 1 can dices tomatoes
    - 2-3 cups vegetable broth
    - 1 Tb cumin
    - Just throw all this stuff together and it comes out awesome! I usually finish this with an immersion blender to puree everything most of the way
    - Recipe is easily modified, could also add salsa, peppers, etc. Serve over rice or on a tortilla or in a bowl with a dollop of Greek yogurt.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato falafel in pitta with healthy coleslaw:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/531629/sweet-potato-falafels-with-coleslaw

It is YUMMY!

This sounds awesome and reminds me I once made sweet potato white bean burgers from a random recipe I found online and it was also delicious!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump !! yummmmm

Hoping that the sweet potatoes everyone is referring to is what we call Kumara here in New Zealand. Google tells me yes.
  • Ashellini
    Ashellini Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yumm some of these recipes sound so good!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    These recipes sound delcious, can't wait to try some of them!
  • cmerdler
    cmerdler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dice them, sprinkle with olive oil and salt, bake at 400 and they will carmelize.
  • DaWayne360
    DaWayne360 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Once a week I eat a sweet potato. I bake an 8 oz or so one in a toaster oven at 425 for 45min to an hour until it’s good and soft. Poke holes in it before baking, so it doesn’t explode. I put it peel and all in a food processor (actually a Tupperware quick chef) I put about a ½ Tbs. of butter and a Tbs. of brown sugar and some cinnamon and turn it into a sweet potato soufflé. I don’t really like sweat potatoes but this is pretty good. Around 180-200 calories.
  • ukstarlight05
    Options
    I love this recipe, I use more seasoning than this tho so I can taste it! It'slike a Latin Fusion dish, and VERY filling!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/black_bean_smothered_sweet_potatoes.html

Black Bean-Smothered Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients
    2 medium sweet potatoes
    1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
    1 medium tomato, diced
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation
    1.Prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on High until tender all the way to the center, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place in a baking dish and bake at 425ºF until tender all the way to the center, about 1 hour.)

2.Meanwhile, combine beans, tomato, oil, cumin, coriander and salt in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave on High until just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, heat in a small saucepan over medium heat.)

3.When just cool enough to handle, slash each sweet potato lengthwise, press open to make a well in the center and spoon the bean mixture into the well. Top each with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.

NutritionPer serving: 351 calories; 7 g fat ( 2 g sat , 4 g mono ); 6 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 12 g fiber; 468 mg sodium; 541 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (450% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Iron (15% dv).

Carbohydrate Servings: 3

Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
  • jennywilliams1232
    jennywilliams1232 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just saw a recipe for sweet potatoes chips made in the microwave. Easy and only takes a few mins to make. AOL had it. But use Google to also find. Enjoy. I am going to make these
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I skimmed over the posts and didn't see this so here goes.

I like sweet potato crunchies, the sweet potato chips usually don't come out nice and crunchy like chips so don't like making them.

I cut the sweet potato in half and use a serrated peeler so its nice and stringy. You can add nutmeg, cinnamon, pimento spice etc, but I usually just want them to be crunchy so I forego the seasoning and put them in the oven. It comes out nice and crunchy and I snack on them while watching movies.