How does Biggest Loser do it?

Options

Replies

• cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would prefer a reality show where mom with 2 young kids needs to go to work, clean the house, walk the dog AND lose weight.. sort of a normal way of life for most people. I don't enjoy watching people sweat on exercise bikes 3 hours a day and not doing anything else, that is not real and it is also kjndof boring.

Why noone ever makes real weight loss reality? Even if it was scripted, it would be much more interesting than just training and salad eating imho.

The "Extreme Weight Loss Makeover Edition" is probably the closest. They lose a lot in one year. For three months, the trainer lives with them, and they don't have to work or anything. The rest of the year they have to live their everyday lives and lose weight. One guy was homeless for awhile and still managed to lose a lot of weight.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Start with the biggest people that have the biggest margin for error to see success.

But even doing it right with their time available can see huge results.

350 lb 40 yr male, 70 inches, 55% bf.

BMR is already 1930.

Do 900 min of walking a week.
    600 min of cardio more vigorous than walking weekly.
    600 min of weight lifting weekly. 4 x split routine.
    So 35 hrs of exercise in a week.

TDEE - 5030.

You could eat 3200 calories daily, and still have a deficit of 36%, or 1800 calories, or 3.6 lbs of weight loss weekly.

Count the initial water weight, huge drop in initial weight.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! :)
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Last night's episode, they had actually been home for 2 weeks. Not sure what their food regimen is - of course at the end of the show the statement appears saying they're caloric intake is monitored by medical person, etc.

But you have to remember these people have taken leave of absences from work - even when they were home for 2 weeks so they have time to work out for 6 hours a day which we can't do in real life!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It's not real life.

A week on TV is not always actually a week.

They do have customised calorie goals. I have seen 1200-1500 mentioned for different people.

They Workout as much as 6 hours a day.

They put on weight before the programme starts.

They dehydrate in special suits before the weigh in to reduce water weight. They also sometimes wear more clothes during workout to sweat more. They then take them off for the cameras.

They often put weight back on afterwards

^^^this.

Reality TV doesn't really mean it's reality.

This.

No one should be comparing themselves to the biggest loser nor should they be thinking that is how you should be losing weight. They are not the healthiest in the world when they are on the show for the reasons mentioned above.

The main issue with the biggest loser is that I believe it promotes unhealthy views of weight loss for the average person. Sure, it is reality TV but in reality TV the producers show what they want and leave out a lot of the important behind the scenes things.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    When the body is morbidly obese, it's healthier to take the weight off fast than to let the weight stay there and keep doing harm to the person.
    I think there are quite a few people (professionals) who would disagree with you. Losing a couple pounds a week is still losing compared to the large #s they pull on the show and a lot of the benefit comes from the exercise itself not just the results.
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Not to mention the staff of doctors, massage therapists, chiropractic that are on staff... The ice bath and whirlpool soaks we don't necessarily get. The chefs preparing their meals properly with the RIGHT fats and healthy seasonings that it takes a while to master on your own. They are taken out of their day to day lives, you heard Dani talk last night about how hard it was going to be when the show is over, with working two jobs to fit in her workouts, food prep, and try to have a new found social life!!

IT'S NOT REALITY... REALITY = stress makes weight loss harder and we're all stressed out!! Use the show to say, "Good for them!" But I actually believe they've done a great job with the "Challenge America" program by coaching REAL LIFE activities, just GET OUT THERE AND MOVE, and WATCH WHAT YOU EAT... Bob, Jillian AND Dolvett have mentioned several times how frustrating it is that the contestants aren't happy unless they drop huge numbers, yet in the "real world" those (small to them) numbers would be OUTSTANDING results!!

No matter what, those contestants work their butts off, deserve their losses, and I hope they all go home and continue to push their comfort zones as athletes!! So if you want it.... GO GET IT YOURSELF!!
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would prefer a reality show where mom with 2 young kids needs to go to work, clean the house, walk the dog AND lose weight.. sort of a normal way of life for most people. I don't enjoy watching people sweat on exercise bikes 3 hours a day and not doing anything else, that is not real and it is also kjndof boring.

Why noone ever makes real weight loss reality? Even if it was scripted, it would be much more interesting than just training and salad eating imho.

There was a show just like this here (New Zealand) a few years ago. It was called "DownSize Me" and it went for a couple seasons. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere online to watch : ( It was pretty good though, and they did just that, took normal people, and they gave them the tools etc to do it themselves. Some of the dialogue was hideously scripted and faked, but the general premise was good.
    It was like, hey, you don't have the time or money to go to the gym? Here - make a circuit workout in your backyard!
    It focused heaps more on health, like diabetes risk and fitness and so forth, than just weight. They'd lose anywhere from 5-12 kg over 12 weeks - so much more realistic!
  • MizVandyk
    MizVandyk Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    working out for 8 hours a day having someone screaming at you and then having a break down and crying like a B___ to dramatic music...
  • vanessagumdrop
    Options
    I personally know someone who was on the show and they work out 6-8 hours a day and are encouraged to do even more. 1200-1500 calories is all they eat even with that much gym time.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options

I do love BL but I agree! Single full time working mom here!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    When I started loosing i wass close to 300lbs so my BMR was about 2500 and my intake was between 1600-2000 and i ran for 1.5 hours 3-6 times a week (now I run 45min 3-5 times a week) plus walked alot at work (Still do). I Also do some body resistance stuff.
    So without the excersise I had a deficiet of anywhere between 500-1000 per day thats 2lbs a week (pure math no variables). Take into consideration the excersise 5 times a week plus being more active at work thats at least 5000 more cal thats at least 1.5lbs a week that comes to 3.5lbs lost per week or 14lbs per month.
    Now if your actually working out 6 hours a day (Basic Training US Military or closer to 10 hours a day) You have your physical training then on your feet marching push ups/running/sprints more pushup more marching more pushups did I mention pushups. Now your BMR is probably close to the 6000 range. You see where this is going is it sustainable for the average person at home with a Job and Family to continue this level of fitness.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    When the body is morbidly obese, it's healthier to take the weight off fast than to let the weight stay there and keep doing harm to the person.

And what about all that wear and tear to their joints from going from barely sedentary to running for hours on treadmills?
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    It's not real life.

They do have customised calorie goals. I have seen 1200-1500 mentioned for different people.

They dehydrate in special suits before the weigh in to reduce water weight. They also sometimes wear more clothes during workout to sweat more. They then take them off for the cameras.

What's your source?
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The reason I like 'The Biggest Loser' even if it's completely unrealistic, is because you can see the changes in each person's personality. You watch them as they fight their inner demons. Come to terms with things in their lives they haven't wanted to deal with, whether they caused their weight problems or not. There have been so many times I've watched the show, heard what a contestant has to say about an emotional breakdown and I just close my eyes and nod, and say, "I know. I've been there." It's a nice reminder to me of where I started, where I am now, and how long I still have to go.

But I don't tell myself see, they lost 15 pounds in a week, you should be doing the same! I know that it's unrealistic in the real world. I catch myself dreaming, and wishing I *could* lose that much, until I realize that wouldn't be healthy for me...and I get focused back on my own, more realistic goals.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It's not real life.

^^^this.

Reality TV doesn't really mean it's reality.

Qouting again for truth!

And again....

For the lady asking for sources, here's one: http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/16/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-2-of-3/
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I think your probably going to need some pretty boy/girl gym type to patronise/bully/taunt you whilst you spin for all your worth on an exercise bike, perhaps some dramatic music can accompany this to help shift those pounds.

;)

This. Melodramatic montages annoy me.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I think your probably going to need some pretty boy/girl gym type to patronise/bully/taunt you whilst you spin for all your worth on an exercise bike, perhaps some dramatic music can accompany this to help shift those pounds.

;)

This. Melodramatic montages annoy me.

I'm happy to come by and yell at, taunt, berate and annoy you for $150 an hour plus expenses.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    With the amount of money involved for the prize winners on The Biggest Loser, I wouldn't be surprised if drugs or surgery were involved. Why not take steroids, growth hormone or speed if you have a chance to win a million and you're left on your own for a few months?

I watched a results show once and the achievements just didn't seem possible within the given time frame. The men also didn't have loose skin or stretch marks even though they had lost over 100 pounds.

VH1's celebrity fit camp seemed more realistic with losses more in the 20-40 pound range.