*Daily Whine* Do I HAVE to Cardio?

Options

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I go run once in a blue moon just for the heck of it, and last time I did it I ran 2.2 miles at 8 mph, which is the same pace I wanted to run when I was running 3-5 miles a day at about 7 mph.

I hadn't done an cardio in about 6 months when I did that.

Anecdotal, but all the proof I need that extra cardio for me is kind of unnecessary. I have plenty of stamina for kayaking, playing basketball, softball or other cardio endeavors without directly doing cardio (which just leaves me tired and hungry to be honest).
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Agree that classes are much more fun than walking/running on a treadmill or spending countless minutes on the elliptical. Although I do wish most classes were a bit shorter than a full 60 minutes as is the case at my gym...

However keep in mind - if there is a Zombie Apocalypse you want to be able to run from he zombies!! #1 Rule = Cardio!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    do gpp work instead of traditional cardio

barbell complexes
    weighted carries / farmers walks
    hill sprints
    sled pulls
    kettlebell swings

but no you don't HAVE to do any of that to lose weight.

This. All of this. I really wish we could put to rest once and for all the notion that "cardio" means ONLY running or cycling or some other steady-state work.

Besides, if you are not getting a good cardiovascular challenge from lifting, you are not lifting heavy enough.
    Can I sit on the sled while you pull it?:flowerforyou:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    When you say you don't like doing cardio, what exactly do you mean?

Do you hate running on the dreadmill for 30 minutes? Lace up your shoes and go outside then.

Hate the elliptical? Don't do it.

Hate the stationary bike? Buy a trail bike and get outside.

Most of us hate the machines. They're dull and boring. I thoroughly enjoy running, but only outside (regardless of the weather). I could never plug along on a treadmill for 30 minutes.

There's so many different *types* of cardio. Look into classes at your gym. Try a few out, find something you enjoy, and stick with it.

This. I CANNOT stand stationary equipment, so I bundle up and run or bike outside, even when it's super cold. Change of scenery/actually "moving" is that important to me. I also have done DDR/Wii dance, Wallyball, etc.--all weird sorts of things that are still cardio.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    >>My cardio is terrible and i get out of breath so easily.

This seems the best reason to do it.

Maybe when you improve at it, you'll find it to be more fun.... just a theory. Also, if you go easier on your intensity, then you can start to enjoy it earlier than later.

Get busy !
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Do you hate running on the dreadmill for 30 minutes? Lace up your shoes and go outside then.

Most of us hate the machines. They're dull and boring. I thoroughly enjoy running, but only outside (regardless of the weather). I could never plug along on a treadmill for 30 minutes.

There's so many different *types* of cardio. Look into classes at your gym. Try a few out, find something you enjoy, and stick with it.

As usual, she's in my head. ^^ This.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I quit cardio for a year. That year was over march 1st - Now I have to start up again.

What's helping me when I dislike it so much?

Thinking about how... adding two days of cardio to my 4 day lifting program is gonna mke my body so tight and sick I can barely stand it.

We can do this.

...just imagine...
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Wii dance is a lot of fun. I do that all the time with my kids.

As far as the horrible gym cardio, I do the stationary bike or elliptic JUST so I can stay at the gym an extra 30 minutes after lifting while my kid finishes her MMA class. It's also the time I use to catch up on my reading.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Great advice. I hate stationary machines, so I take my boys for walks in the double stroller a lot. It's not running, but pushing 75 pounds of toddler up a hill definitely gets my heart rate up. I balance it out with weights, yoga, and HIIT circuits.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No you do not.

It depends on your goals.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You can get a good cardio workout weight lifting. I haven't done cardio in years. Resting heart rate is 45ish
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Today is my cardio day as well. I've been weight training so much more now (4x wk) that I don't look forward to my cardio sessions as much as I used to. But it gives my muscles a little break. Also, I've been doing more HIIT via TurboFire and other non traditional cardio. You have to do what's fun for you. Otherwise, you'll get unmotivated to do it. You can do it. Make it fun!
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    if you get out of breath easily you should probably do cardio
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You don't have to to lose weight or get lean, but some light cardio is good for overall health so it's worth doing at least a little (20-30 mins 3x per week) just to help improve circulation, lung capacity, and your overall cardiovascular fitness.

Try to go into it with a positive attitude and find something you enjoy (or a bunch of somethings you enjoy that you can swap out).
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Did someone say WINE???!!

Damn. I'm in the wrong thread.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Screw cardio. Not really necessary. I hate cardio too. I only do it enough to warm up and cool down.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would rather do weights all day long than do cardio. My cardio is terrible and i get out of breath so easily. But weights are fun!

The fact that you're out of breath so easily means you should probably do more cardio. It's good for heart, lungs, and stamina.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I hate hopping around like an idiot to terrible dance music in a room full of people or staring at the wall on some machine but love jogging outside. I'm working on my first 10K, hopefully for this summer. I guess it's all about finding something you enjoy.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    As pretty much everyone else has said, no, you don't *have* to do cardio to lose weight, BUT! Cardiovascular fitness is important. I prefer strength training over cardo as well, but I do love to hike, and hate that I get winded so easily when hiking up a mountain. THAT is my main reason for the cardio, and I only do 20 minutes on the treadmill 3x a week, swimming for 30 min the other two days in between cardio and strength training days. But ultimately, you gotta do what works best for you. If you don't like the treadmill or elliptical, find something else that might be more enjoyable. Cycling, hiking, roller blading, etc…
  • Danieboo757
    Options
    maybe it's not cardio u hate maybe it's the type of cardio u do. I hate running even tho I do it sometimes but more importantly dancing swimming walking at a brisk pace etc are all considered cardio those are things I like so I do them instead of running. just a suggestion find the cario u like and do tht 30 minutes 4 times a week