FitBit or HRM?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    We just got my wife a FitBit and were thinking she might need a HRM for specific, cycling, workouts. What I am curious about. Do you continue to wear the FitBit when you are wearing the HRM? Or do you take the FitBit off while you are doing the workouts?

Leave the FitBit on.
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    the HRM shows how good of a workout that you have had.

^this

I like to know exactly how many calories I have burned during a workout, so I use my Polar HRM. I don't know anything about the FitBit, but I do know I'd rather know how many calories I burned over how many steps I took. That's just my personal preference based on ignorance! :tongue:
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I pondered this same question for awhile and then just treated myself one day.

I have both and I'm a science nerd. I've had my F4 Polar HRM for years and my fitbit for about a month. They're two different animals... I use my F4 for tracking my burn from cardio exercises (which the fitbit doesn't do all that well cause it's a pedometer) and I use my fitbit to ensure I get at least 10,000 steps per day (F4 doesn't do this).

FOR ME - the fitbit is basically a digital pedometer that syncs with your computer (bells and whistles) when compared to a regular pedometer- that's cool!

Fitbit Ultra Pros:
    * Its small and I like wearing it on my sports bra
    * The clip grippers are awesome - so it's not necessary to have a leash
    * I use it as a bonus piece of workout gear - I like to ensure I step 10,000 steps a day - so this is a fun way to do it.
    * Cute design
    * Great usability!
    * Has sleep monitoring.

Fitbit Ultra Cons:
    * It's alot smaller than what you imagine in your head it will look like - the photos on the website did not prepare me for how tiny this gadget is (but after using it - thats a cool thing too)
    * The stride is statistically figured out by similar height people. So you can't set your stride length in there. How does one know if you longer legs/longer stride vs someone who has a longer torso/shorter legs/shorter stride. So miles may be overstated or understated. But again no workout exercise monitoring device is 100% accurate.
    * It's small so if you do laundry and your fitbit is attached to your clothing item - it will get washed - this ALMOST happened on the very first night (mercifully I had already taken the fitbit off my clothing - btw that was a huge scene to stop a front loader, frantically pulling clothes, water splashing everywhere... good times!) Now I have a sign on the washer!
    * I use MFP exclusively - so why bother with fitbit's website.
    * THe flower that grows based on activity level (10 petals being the max) - is cute for the 1st week.
    * The stairs - registers stairs only - not all that great for stepping exercise workouts
    * Sleep monitoring - great for one or two nights for sleep thru the night people; I think would be useful for insomniacs or sleep apnea folks to start the ball rolling with your dr as far as solutions

FOR ME - I loved a low tech digiwalker pedometer that they no longer make.. I loved that thing.. wore it everyday for the past 3 years - small profile, could set your stride, ht and weight into it (so it was a bit more accurate that the fitbit). Wore it everyday...sadly it broke and so I did need a pedometer replacement.

Not sure the cost of the fitbit ultra warranted my splurge (sorry to say) - but now that I have it - I like it and use it.

If I could wave a magic wand - I'd probably buy the fitzip over the ultra - it's cheaper and I'd take the extra $40 and go buy a cute workout top (thats just me).

Being honest, Hope this helps.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    the HRM shows how good of a workout that you have had.

^this

I like to know exactly how many calories I have burned during a workout, so I use my Polar HRM. I don't know anything about the FitBit, but I do know I'd rather know how many calories I burned over how many steps I took. That's just my personal preference based on ignorance! :tongue:

The Fitbit calculates how many calories you've burned by recording your actual movements in 3D space and determining how much energy it took to move that way. It's really pretty good.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I pondered this same question for awhile and then just treated myself one day.

I have both and I'm a science nerd. I've had my F4 Polar HRM for years and my fitbit for about a month. They're two different animals... I use my F4 for tracking my burn from cardio exercises (which the fitbit doesn't do all that well cause it's a pedometer) and I use my fitbit to ensure I get at least 10,000 steps per day (F4 doesn't do this).

FOR ME - the fitbit is basically a digital pedometer that syncs with your computer (bells and whistles) when compared to a regular pedometer- that's cool!

Fitbit Ultra Pros:
    * Its small and I like wearing it on my sports bra
    * The clip grippers are awesome - so it's not necessary to have a leash
    * I use it as a bonus piece of workout gear - I like to ensure I step 10,000 steps a day - so this is a fun way to do it.
    * Cute design
    * Great usability!
    * Has sleep monitoring.

Fitbit Ultra Cons:
    * It's alot smaller than what you imagine in your head it will look like - the photos on the website did not prepare me for how tiny this gadget is (but after using it - thats a cool thing too)
    * The stride is statistically figured out by similar height people. So you can't set your stride length in there. How does one know if you longer legs/longer stride vs someone who has a longer torso/shorter legs/shorter stride. So miles may be overstated or understated. But again no workout exercise monitoring device is 100% accurate.
    * It's small so if you do laundry and your fitbit is attached to your clothing item - it will get washed - this ALMOST happened on the very first night (mercifully I had already taken the fitbit off my clothing - btw that was a huge scene to stop a front loader, frantically pulling clothes, water splashing everywhere... good times!) Now I have a sign on the washer!
    * I use MFP exclusively - so why bother with fitbit's website.
    * THe flower that grows based on activity level (10 petals being the max) - is cute for the 1st week.
    * The stairs - registers stairs only - not all that great for stepping exercise workouts
    * Sleep monitoring - great for one or two nights for sleep thru the night people; I think would be useful for insomniacs or sleep apnea folks to start the ball rolling with your dr as far as solutions

FOR ME - I loved a low tech digiwalker pedometer that they no longer make.. I loved that thing.. wore it everyday for the past 3 years - small profile, could set your stride, ht and weight into it (so it was a bit more accurate that the fitbit). Wore it everyday...sadly it broke and so I did need a pedometer replacement.

Not sure the cost of the fitbit ultra warranted my splurge (sorry to say) - but now that I have it - I like it and use it.

If I could wave a magic wand - I'd probably buy the fitzip over the ultra - it's cheaper and I'd take the extra $40 and go buy a cute workout top (thats just me).

Being honest, Hope this helps.

Nitpick: Fitbit allows you to set walking and running stride lengths.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    Check out the BodyMedia Fit LINK! It is like the fitbit. very closely related and it is amazing. I have a polar f7 hrm as well , but I like that my bodymedia tracks me ALL day. Not just for workouts. I can also track my sleep habits and several other things. I found out through my BodyMedia that I was WAY undereating. It is very helpful especially if your day to day activities vary in order to get an accurate TDEE to make your cut from. My low days are 2750 TDEE and high at 3500 TDEE. Thats quite a difference.

The more information the better in my opinion and the BodyMedia Fit is full of it!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I want the new fitbit flex
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Fitbit but I have a HRM which I also love and use for specific workouts (like roller skating!). I think the sleep tracker is nifty but I don't find it particular accurate which I would assume is because if I'm awake and trying to get back to sleep I'll be lying still and so it thinks I'm asleep. There is a setting on the dashboard to make the sleep tracker more sensitive but I found that it was then too sensitive (kept saying I was having 2-3 hours sleep a night).

They are small and easy to lose but the customer service is amazing; My boyfriend lost his and they sent out a new one straight away (all they needed was an emailed copy of the receipt).
    We just got my wife a FitBit and were thinking she might need a HRM for specific, cycling, workouts. What I am curious about. Do you continue to wear the FitBit when you are wearing the HRM? Or do you take the FitBit off while you are doing the workouts?

I leave mine on and press the button to start/stop the timer at the beginning and end of my workout so that when I get online and add the workout info from my HRM I can see exactly what time I started. I don't think it would make much difference seeing as you override the info for that time period anyway but I do get a certain satisfaction out of seeing what Fitbit thinks I burned and correcting it.
  • gal_amy
    gal_amy Posts: 47
    Options
    I have had both. And it kinda depends what you are after. I love my HRM because I do lots of different types of workouts (crossfit, yoga etc) the hrm allows me to see how hard my work out was . The fitbit was great for getting me to take more steps during a day.

Does the HRM track weight machines at the gym? I don't know if my hear rate goes up or not?:smile:

~*~*~*Amy ~*~*~

Save a Tree, Save our Planet, Recycle, Think Organic
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I use BodyMedia, which is similiar to FitBit. I like BodyMedia more because it is more accurate.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Depends...fitbit is great for tracking overall calories...not so great for managing fitness goals. You need a HRM to manage fitness goals...i.e. workout zones to avoid over train or under train.

This. I have both and love both for completely different reasons. The Fitbit is only accurate for walking, not high intensity workouts.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    fitbit is much easier - quite consistent - HRM is if you are uber training and can take the added time needed to take measurements...plus can't really wear HRM's all day...
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Depending on what is your activity type. Fitbit measures steps and calculates calories, which I found not to be exactly correct if compared with HRM for when I run. When I workout like cardio DVD, Crodd Fit Class Fit Bit is way off as far as calories go (converted from steps recorded). I wear FitBit through the day to get my 10 000 steps and wear HRM when excercise to get calories burned correct.
    If you link FitBit account with MFP, you can enter time you start workout and calories burned, and it will adjust Fitbit calories automatically. Otherwise FitBit will give you additional calories to eat as you walk/run through the day.
  • hotmama1174
    hotmama1174 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have both. I use the HRM for tracking my workouts (the fir bit in not accurate at all) and the fitbit for tracking my steps. Love them both!!!!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have both and use both. I love my Fitbit! It makes me move around more. The bf has one and we battle it out. I still use my HRM for certain work outs. When I'm doing something with a strong cardio then I put on my HRM because I know my Fitbit isn't even going to be close.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Zip and would not recommend it. It has a lot of issues with syncing properly (at one point it went 3 weeks without syncing over wifi like it was supposed to be). I'm actually considering putting mine on eBay because I just don't find it all that useful.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I have a FitBit Zip and would not recommend it. It has a lot of issues with syncing properly (at one point it went 3 weeks without syncing over wifi like it was supposed to be). I'm actually considering putting mine on eBay because I just don't find it all that useful.

Fitbits do not support Wifi in any capacity. It only syncs via the Bluetooth dongle or via the Fitbit app on iPhone 4S/5, iPad Retina, or Samsung Galaxy S3/Note 2.
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I liked the Fitbit at first, but then my calories started double counting on MFP for a while and I didn't catch it until I had put a few lbs back on.
    Really, though, I'd have to say the only thing the Fitbit is all that good for is figuring out how to categorize your routine daily activities. Once you have established that, it is pretty much useless. Other, occasional, activities can be tracked by something like the HRM or Endomondo instead.
    I also have a Polar FT7 and I use it every day for my workouts. It has helped me tremendously! Especially during Insanity, where I wasn't eating nearly enough early on.
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 405CX, used it for awhile, then it got to be too complicated for what I wanted. Have been wearing my FitBit one since I got it about a month ago. It is very good to keep me active. I haven't decided if the sleep monitor is even accurate, it is a cool idea, and I have lots of problems with insomnia. As I get more fit and active, I may start using my Garmin again in addition to the FitBit. I clip the Fitbit to my bra with the actual device inside and the clip part on the outside; have not had any problems with losing it or it coming lose, or even close to putting it in the washing machine.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I use both.