Questions about body media fit, and also Striiv

Options
jonzo21
jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
I've been curious about how many calories I'm actually burning in a day. For those of you that use body media fit, do you notice a big difference in what that says compared to website calculators?

Also, my work has a strict uniform policy, so wearing it on my arm may not be allowed since we have short sleeves. I heard some people put it on their legs during a cycling workout, do you think it would be accurate if I put it on my leg while at work? (usually a 5 hour shift)

Reading previous posts about this device I heard it doesn't work as well to track calories burned during a workout, is this true and why would this be less accurate than a HRM? I usually just use a polar HRM for workout calories, but my watch battery died (I know its pretty cheap to replace so that might be a better option)

I also use the striiv app to track how many steps I do in a day. It gives a calorie burn estimate based on that, but I can't see that being very accurate since it doesn't take into consideration your heart rate etc... what do you guys think about striiv? It's definitely got me wanting to walk more, I'm just not sure if I should use its estimates.

so do you think its worth it to get body media fit or another device, or to stick to a HRM and web calculators for TDEE instead?

Replies

• sum1serin
    sum1serin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So calculators say my TDEE is normally around 2582. My average daily calories burned from my bodymedia is 2672. So that's pretty close. I like seeing that if i go just a little bit longer or walk just a bit more.... so and so forth, I can get closer to my goal calorie deficit. I like it a lot.

You are right in regards to trouble with calories burned when it comes to strength training. I did a bit of kettle bell workout the other day and honestly, it said I burned like 15 calories... when I can pretty much say I know I burned more. Oh well! Just meant I needed to do something else as well. :D It's good with running!

As to wearing it- I actually tend to wear it on my arm at night and on my left upper calf during the day. Don't notice much of a difference. I find the calf more comfortable and I am a fidgeter.... so it's possible I get more calories calculated via my calf since that's what I seem to constantly move (my legs) while at my desk. But truly, I've not noticed a significant calorie count difference.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Using the Striiv Play device linked to the app is more accurate but Bodymedia fit is much more accurate. I don't have any trouble with strength training. Not sure about the leg thing. Los of people say its ok but BM say it should definitely go on the arm. Have you looked at the Fitbit.
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Using the Striiv Play device linked to the app is more accurate but Bodymedia fit is much more accurate. I don't have any trouble with strength training. Not sure about the leg thing. Los of people say its ok but BM say it should definitely go on the arm. Have you looked at the Fitbit.

I came across some info on the forums about fitbit, apparently its a lot less accurate than body media fit
  • mokotutza
    mokotutza Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm waiting for my fitbit one ,I'm looking forward to using it!I've read a lot of good things about it,people who have it seem very happy!does any of you have one?is it worth the money?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

I came across some info on the forums about fitbit, apparently its a lot less accurate than body media fit
    BMF has been tested to be at least 90% accurate. I LOVE. Mine. I also have a fitbit and there's no comparison.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I've been using the BodyMedia fit for about a year now and think the calorie burning estimates are close. My TDEE calculated for low activity is about 1877. When I don't exercise, it is about the same on BodyMedia. If I do a six mile run at lunch - about 600 calories, BodyMedia generally shows that I burned 2400 - 2500 calories during the day (1877 plus 600 = 2,477, so still close.) One nice thing about BodyMedia is that you will immediately see your burn go down if you aren't eating enough! For example, I've run 19 miles in the past two days and although I tried to eat back the calories, it's a lot. I can see that calorie expenditure has dropped or slowed down this morning - giving me quick feedback that I can work with. I am taking the day off from running today and eating a little extra to refuel my body and make sure it's running efficiently.

I have put it on my leg when using elliptical and it did count the steps better but haven't worn it there any other time. I've heard of ladies putting it inside their bra and it still being accurate. I've tried it a couple of times, but not enough to say if I think its accurate.

I have noticed with some exerscie, you don't see a huge expenditure on BodyMedia all at once or right when you finish exerscising. Instead you see your hourly burn rate stay up a few hours after exerscising. This may be the reason that people think it doesn't calculate well for strength training.