Am I doing this right?

Options
ygglove
ygglove Posts: 102 Member
I'm sure that these types of questions has been asked a lot, but when I search the boards I get conflicting answers. MFP suggests I eat 1280 calories, which I try to do. I've been doing a mile on the treadmill, I'm down to a 15 minute mile time. I plan to do this EVERY day, eventually I would like to jog an hour or so- I'm just trying to work up to that point. I've also been doing the 30 day shred. I usually can't really handle breakfast in the mornings, I get physically ill- I try to force myself to at least eat a piece of fruit or fiber bar. I eat after I work out (midday), I'm not really hungry so I usually eat a banana, and then I have dinner about 5-6pm.. I've been a couple hundred calories under my goal, after working out added calories back, or right on. My life style used to be: not eating anything until about 1pm, then I'd have junk food (sandwich and chips or pizza or some other form of fast food), I'd cook for dinner usually, or we'd order take out, and I didn't have a very active life style. With all that being said, I just want to know:

1. Is the exercise I'm doing good and realistic?
2. When is the best time to work out? (In the morning before I eat, or after I eat? Or is mid-day after lunch acceptable?)
3. Some people say to eat back the calories you burn, others say you only need to eat some of them- I'm lost?
4. If I'm wrong, and this is not a good way to get in shape/lose weight, can someone point me in the right direction?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you take at least one rest day a week to let your muscles recuperate.

You don't need to eat breakfast to lose weight.

Here's a good breakdown about whether or not to eat your exercise calories: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that these types of questions has been asked a lot, but when I search the boards I get conflicting answers. MFP suggests I eat 1280 calories, which I try to do. I've been doing a mile on the treadmill, I'm down to a 15 minute mile time. I plan to do this EVERY day, eventually I would like to jog an hour or so- I'm just trying to work up to that point. I've also been doing the 30 day shred. I usually can't really handle breakfast in the mornings, I get physically ill- I try to force myself to at least eat a piece of fruit or fiber bar. I eat after I work out (midday), I'm not really hungry so I usually eat a banana, and then I have dinner about 5-6pm.. I've been a couple hundred calories under my goal, after working out added calories back, or right on. My life style used to be: not eating anything until about 1pm, then I'd have junk food (sandwich and chips or pizza or some other form of fast food), I'd cook for dinner usually, or we'd order take out, and I didn't have a very active life style. With all that being said, I just want to know:

1. Is the exercise I'm doing good and realistic?
    2. When is the best time to work out? (In the morning before I eat, or after I eat? Or is mid-day after lunch acceptable?)
    3. Some people say to eat back the calories you burn, others say you only need to eat some of them- I'm lost?
    4. If I'm wrong, and this is not a good way to get in shape/lose weight, can someone point me in the right direction?

You don't have to eat breakfast to lose weight. I've lost over 130lbs now, and I never eat breakfast. I usually don't eat til around noon or later.

Exercise calories is usually a yes, but it's a case by case basis. Look into this thread::: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

The best time to work out, is the time when you will work out. There is no optimal time more than the time that you know you will be willing to work out.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you take at least one rest day a week to let your muscles recuperate.

You don't need to eat breakfast to lose weight.

Here's a good breakdown about whether or not to eat your exercise calories: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

This. Your plan sounds good, just make sure to include rest days. You can also workout anytime you'd like - the whole "workout at such and such time" is just to build consistency and habit. I have more energy in the morning, so that's when I work out. Friends of mine are night owls, they work out at night.

Eating before or after workouts is a matter of personal preference. I get queasy if I have an empty stomach, so I eat something small. A piece of fruit or something.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Answer t question
    1 is yes
    2 What ever works for you that you can keep
    3Eat back exersize calories you need fuel and 1280 really is not that much in fact google BMR calculator to make sure you are not undereating I was eating 1400 net and within a week I was feeling weak and tired.
    In the morning if you can wait 1 hr and then eat I would not suggest that you force yourself to eat right away in the morning if it makes you sick. Hope this helps and good luck with your goals.
  • ygglove
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. I was definitely worried about eating breakfast. You're all very helpful.
  • ygglove
    Options
    Thanks for the link.