Stronglift and Insanity?

2»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Okay I was hoping to find more on either of these programs on the Internet but looks like I will definitely need the book. I am gettin mostly male responses. Are these lifting programs okay for women do you think? What exactly am I getting myself into here. Lol

Most definitely ok for women! There are a good number of bad *kitten* lady lifters here, and I'm lucky to be friends with many of them. There's even a SL 5x5 For Women group...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • Pedromcdodge
    Pedromcdodge Posts: 7 Member
    Okay I was hoping to find more on either of these programs on the Internet but looks like I will definitely need the book. I am gettin mostly male responses. Are these lifting programs okay for women do you think? What exactly am I getting myself into here. Lol

Lifting programs are definitely ok for women. I'd encourage all women to fit in some lifting at some point in their routine.
    A lot of women think they're going to get massive because they're lifting weights, it's a general consensus but believe me, it doesn't work that way.

If you need inspiration, look for Vanessa Tib online. She's a fitness model and lifts big weights - the benefit of this is plain to see.
  • Pedromcdodge
    Pedromcdodge Posts: 7 Member

Most definitely ok for women! There are a good number of bad *kitten* lady lifters here, and I'm lucky to be friends with many of them. There's even a SL 5x5 For Women group...

Excellent link mate, i'll be passing that on - had no idea it existed!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member

Yup, Love those ladies. They're awesome.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member

Hiya! I'm a woman successfully using Starting Strength, and I LOVE IT! Yes, it's absolutely great for women. I'm losing fat and changing my body. My stepdad recommended Starting Strength out of all the books out there--he's a university football team's strength coach.

ETA: here's the link to the Starting Strength wiki, if you haven't already seen this: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

I'll just reiterate what others have stated...absolutely. Not only appropriate for women, but more women should be doing this or a similar program to achieve the desired body comp that most are looking for. Too many women do cardio until their ears bleed and never end up with the body composition they are really looking for...they're afraid to lift because they think they'll get all big and bulky. Not gonna happen I assure you.

My wife does SS with me and loves it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    I agree with most here that the resistance training should be the focus of yor workout. However I strongly disagree that something like StrongLifts + Insanity is automatically overtraining. It's definitely intense, and might be too much for some folks, but you don't know until you try.

I kept up with StrongLifts, P90X 2-3 times a week, and karate 3 times a week for 6 months. You have to eat and sleep properly for it, but it can be done.

The most important thing, I think, is for the OP to pay attention to her body. Give it a shot, and see how you feel. If it's too much, tone it back. If it's not enough, you could consider adding in but ensure that it will still be ok when the lifting intensity increases.

Also, even at very heavy weights, stronglifts is not the same kind of challenge that Insanity is. They're working different things.