can you eat 1200 calories in junk food a day?

Options
I have heard so many different theories on this...Can you eat 1200 calories on junk food alone and still lose as much weight as eating 1200 calories of clean food a day...I know it is better for your overall health...energy...muscle mass...and helping you to feel more satiated and satisfied by eating 1200 calories of healthy food...but the question still remains...Can a person eat 1200 calories in chocolate bars a day and still lose the same amount of weight on the scale as the person who eats 1200 calories a day of "Clean Food"? and will they lose it at the same rate...

Replies

• Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is yes, calories in vs. calories out. You would be starving the entire day as those 1200 calories would add up quickly and you certainly wouldn't be getting any healthier.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but obviously it's not good for your health.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can drink 1200 cals of dr pepper/coca cola etc...per day and lose weight....is it going to be the right way?
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You can eat 1200 calories of junk, but think about your muscle mass. Most 'junk' food doesn't have much protein to fuel those muscles.
  • lulucat24
    Options
    Some people believe in calorie in calorie out, while others see that different foods affect your body in different ways. I would agree more with the second. You may lose weight (i.e. muscle) on the 1200 of junk food but you will gain fat from the excess sugar, fat, carbs, and limited protein. You could eat much more on a 1200 calorie healthy diet that's for sure! Not to mention many people can LOSE weight eating 1500 calories of healthy food compared to 1200 of junk. There is some fact behind the calories in vs calories out, but it is far more important to focus on macro nutrients like fat, carbs, and protein, and sugar compared to things like calories. A salad that is 200 calories is not only more filling, but is better for your body than a candy bar of equal value.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Yes..but you wouldn't be healthy very long if you did that all the time. Or feel good.
    if the question was CAN I eat 1200 cals of junk food in a day...honey, I can do that in an hour.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Some people believe in calorie in calorie out, while others see that different foods affect your body in different ways. I would agree more with the second. You may lose weight (i.e. muscle) on the 1200 of junk food but you will gain fat from the excess sugar, fat, carbs, and limited protein. You could eat much more on a 1200 calorie healthy diet that's for sure! Not to mention many people can LOSE weight eating 1500 calories of healthy food compared to 1200 of junk. There is some fact behind the calories in vs calories out, but it is far more important to focus on macro nutrients like fat, carbs, and protein, and sugar compared to things like calories. A salad that is 200 calories is not only more filling, but is better for your body than a candy bar of equal value.

I doubt the truth of the bolded part. I would like to see any scientific evidence supporting that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Not true.. You can not gain fat from excess sugar, fat or carbs unless your calories exceed your TDEE.

BTW, the only way you might not see more weight loss is based on the sodium content so you will hold onto additional water weight.
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered this :)
    Thinking to satisfy chocolate cravings - one day soon... haven't done it yet... I'll have a Cadbury PIcnic for my lunch (not as part of lunch or a small amount as a snack) that will be my actual lunch, then eat resonable and clean the rest of the day - just cause my cals say I can - so I will!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    yes but it's unlikely that the macros will be the same.

not optimal obviously
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate every ones opinion on this topic...I Think I will eat my last 240 calories on a snicker bar:laugh:
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    There are no junk or clean food that's just labels we've given them, its just that some food has more nutrional than others. It's all just fuel for your body, and all about the calories.

Whilst you could live off soley fast food and lose weight, you'll A. Be very hunger as it tends to be high calorie so you won't have much within your goal and B. you'll be deficient in lots of vitiamins and minerals your body needs to be healthy.

Eating a mixture of foods in moderation is key, absolutely no reason to cut any food from your diet when losing weight.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Here's an article about a professor who experimented on himself with a restricted-calorie junk food diet: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • DexterDarko
    DexterDarko Posts: 235
    Options
    I think the empty calories would put you at a disadvantage.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yes..but you wouldn't be healthy very long if you did that all the time. Or feel good.
    if the question was CAN I eat 1200 cals of junk food in a day...honey, I can do that in an hour.

Haha. Me too!!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can, but I doubt you would feel full/satisfied off 1200 calories of junk food.....which would probably lead to you consuming more than 1200 calories.
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    thanks so much...
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    beat you: did it a few weeks ago in 20 minutes. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You could eat 1,200 calories in junk food and lose weight...but you wouldn't be getting proper nutrition doing so. It's difficult to get proper nutrition on 1,200 anyway...with junk food, no way. You'd lose weight, just be really unhealthy...so if that's your goal, go for it.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    well....try it and see. That's the only way you'll know for sure.