define "lifting heavy"

Options
Hi everyone! I am rather new to this, my second weigh in is tomorrow (marking 2 weeks since my major lifestyle change)!

Question about "lifting heavy". Many people say to do this and I have no idea what it means. Can someone please define heavy?

I have never done weight lifting before so I am totally clueless.

A few details about my journey so far so you have an idea:
--I began my diet changes 2 weeks ago tomorrow.

--A week ago today I got my gym membership and have gone every day with one break day.

--I started just on the elliptical, which I had used before so was familiar. I started with 20 min and now am up to 45 with a much harder resistance level and higher heart rate.

--Yesterday for the first time I tried some of the weight machines. They look very intimidating to me! But I did 6 of them, mostly arms/shoulders/chest/back/abs. Didn't do much with the legs because I knew I was about to hop on the elliptical.

--Today I feel incredibly sore! I didn't do many reps and not very much weight either. For the ones where you stick the pin in I did 35 and for the ones where you do weights on each side I put 10lbs on each side. Today my arms/shoulders/back are SO sore. Did to do TOO much weight? Is that how it's supposed to feel? How long recovery should I allow? No way am I going today. Should I do it again tomorrow?

Any advice is helpful. thanks :)

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    heavy means with enough weight that you can't do more than about 8-12 reps before you fail, i.e. can't do another rep at all.

however, before you start doing that, you need to practice the lifts to get the form right, then once your form is good with light weights, add more weight until it's heavy enough that you can't do more than 8-12 reps (maybe 12-15 for the first few workouts to get used to it). If you really want to build up your strength, you can go heavy enough for 5-8 reps, but again, it's vital that your form is good when you go that heavy with the weights.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    For me, heavy lifting is where I can do a maximum rep of 8 per set and generally can't do any more than 3 sets.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I am glad to have that definition!

What does it mean to have good form? I was using the machines with instructions on them because I have no idea what I'm doing. So I sat on the seats and did what it told me to...does that mean my form was okay?
  • Shgtwins
    Shgtwins Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One of the best things you can do is have one of the trainers at your gym show you how to use the machines. The machines give you a general picture but you need to make sure your core is tight and your not stressing your joints. Resistance training is just as important as cardio. When you develop good lean muscle, it helps your metabolism so that you can burn fat longer. The only reason you would lift heavy is to gain strength and develop muscle gain and it doesn't seem like that right now is one of your goals. The rule of thumb is to use a weight that you can do 12 to 15 reps. The last 2 reps should be a little hard but you are still able to finish all 12 or 15. When it is easy to do 12 to 15 then you know it's time to increase the weight. It is important how you rest between sets and what muscle groups you do during a workout. I suggest you go to sites like bodybuilding.com which can help you plan your workouts. Also, hiring a personal trainer even for one or two times helps. You are doing a great job and adding resistance will help you achieve your goals so you are definitely on the right back. Good Luck!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    When doing your 7th and 8th rep on any exercise, you make this ugly *kitten* face.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    One of the best things you can do is have one of the trainers at your gym show you how to use the machines. The machines give you a general picture but you need to make sure your core is tight and your not stressing your joints. Resistance training is just as important as cardio. When you develop good lean muscle, it helps your metabolism so that you can burn fat longer.

^^^ I agree - if you're working out at home or there's no-one at the gym who can show you, you can learn how to do good form from videos, some websites like bodybuilding dot com have a video library that shows how to get the form right. If you can practice in front of a mirror while you're learning the form, it's even better.

Most gyms have an induction session where they show you how to do the exercises correctly.
    The only reason you would lift heavy is to gain strength and develop muscle gain and it doesn't seem like that right now is one of your goals. The rule of thumb is to use a weight that you can do 12 to 15 reps. The last 2 reps should be a little hard but you are still able to finish all 12 or 15. When it is easy to do 12 to 15 then you know it's time to increase the weight.

This I would disagree with... even if you're aiming to lose fat, lifting heavy helps to maintain what lean body mass you have. There are lots of women on this site who have found heavy lifting beneficial while losing fat. that said, it's just back to the old argument of what's the best rep range (i.e. not a major disagreement). Personally, I've had more success lifting in lower rep ranges than higher ones, for pretty much everything. Fat loss, body composition and gaining strength. Plus, gaining strength can be a real boost to self esteem and makes you feel lighter on your feet, and you can gain strength while eating at a deficit, and not gaining any muscle mass.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with the above advice about getting help from a trainer to learn proper form. Most gyms offer at least one free session with a trainer as part of the membership. Fitness magazine online has videos you can watch with most of their workouts.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    thank you all so much! I'll ask at my gym when I go tomorrow. I'm tight on $$ right now (splurging for the gym was tough but I just needed to do it) so if they cost I won't be able to get a training session, but maybe they do that free one! If not I'll check out those videos.

Again, thanks to everyone for your advice. Much appreciated. :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    For me, heavy lifting is where I can do a maximum rep of 8 per set and generally can't do any more than 3 sets.

This, I mainly work in the 8-10 rep range, and I lift heavy enough to feel my heartrate go up. I feel winded after each set and my heart is beating like a racehorse. Only then do I feel I have lifted heavy enough. And generally, I go up 2-10 pounds a week (depending on the exercise).
  • coastie_wife07
    Options
    Look into:

New Rules of Lifting for Women

or

Jamie Eason LiveFit Program
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I ever did while lifting was changing from the machines to free weights. Some exercises with free weights will require a spotter, so if you have a friend to go with you, it is worth a try!